Cook's Illustrated Mashed Sweet Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Mashed Sweet Potatoes

I found a recipe for mashed sweet potatoes that calls for braising the potatoes in a small amount of cream (just a few tablespoons) insted of boiling or baking the potatoes. When I did this, I ended up with very dry potatoes and had to add much more cream than the recipe called for. Has anyone tried a method like this before with success?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this recipe, but I made mashed sweet potatoes last week and they were amazing! I baked three sweet potatoes in the oven for about 45 min. They were so soft when they came out that all I had to do was slice them up and they mashed up easy, I left the skin on too. I added about a stick (or two!) of butter, dash of milk,
cup of brown sugar, and 1 1/2 cups of crushed pecans. I mixed them with a fork and sprinkled with cinnamon. They were delicious!

lpb

Why would you put sugar, brown or white, on SWEET potatoes? Are they not sweet enough already?

I guess maybe I'm a purist, but I like mine baked in a 375F oven for 45 minutes, cut in half, and eaten right from the skin, with a little bit of butter and salt. I guess you could mash them on your plate if you want, but why add sugar?

I'm not sure about this recipe, but I made mashed sweet potatoes last week and they were amazing! I baked three sweet potatoes in the oven for about 45 min. They were so soft when they came out that all I had to do was slice them up and they mashed up easy, I left the skin on too. I added about a stick (or two!) of butter, dash of milk,
cup of brown sugar, and 1 1/2 cups of crushed pecans. I mixed them with a fork and sprinkled with cinnamon. They were delicious!

lpb

I do that too, lpb. It's really delicious along with ham/pork or any poultry dish.

I also like to add mashed bananas sometimes or crushed pineapple. Sweet potatoes are wonderful mixed with all sorts of other goodies.

I find the best way is to boil or roast the potatoes and mash with butter and milk. A touch of parsley and finely chopped onion adds to the flavour. I must say I do prefer my sweet potato roasted.

lpb, you left the skins on the sweet potatoes you mashed? Regular potatoes but weren't the skins tough?

I leave the skin on red potatoes when I mash them but for all other types I take the skin off. I tried skin-on mashed sweet potatoes once but they were too stringy and tough. However, if I eat the potato whole (baked), I'll eat the skin no matter what type of potato (especially sweet).

Sorry I never checked this post back until now, but 1. I'm from the south where we add sugar/lard to everything down here!! I have ALWAYS heard of sweet potatoes mixed with butter and brown sugar. Whether its my grandmothers, aunts, mom, or even restaurants making it, it has always contained brown sugar. 2. I did leave the skins on...I was thinking about peeling them but didn't before hand and they were soooo soft and moist I blended everything together and it was delicious! I guess my reasoning was as crankin stated, you eat the skin with a baked potato, why not mashed, as long as they weren't tough, they blended right in...

lpb

Sorry I never checked this post back until now, but 1. I'm from the south where we add sugar/lard to everything down here!! I have ALWAYS heard of sweet potatoes mixed with butter and brown sugar. Whether its my grandmothers, aunts, mom, or even restaurants making it, it has always contained brown sugar. 2. I did leave the skins on...I was thinking about peeling them but didn't before hand and they were soooo soft and moist I blended everything together and it was delicious! I guess my reasoning was as crankin stated, you eat the skin with a baked potato, why not mashed, as long as they weren't tough, they blended right in...

lpb

I like a little brown sugar along with the butter on mine too.. If you have Pecans... even better!!!!

Back
Top Bottom