"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, but not cooked.

What puzzles me about frozen corn is that some packages say that the frozen corn kernels MUST be cooked before eating but other packages don't bother. I haven't found any reason for this on the internet.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #22
Master Chef

I've never hesitated to put a little frozen corn in a bowl, let them thaw, and sprinkle them on salads. Same with frozen peas. It hasn't killed any of us yet!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have never seen frozen cooked corn at the supermarket.
Trader Joe's has frozen grilled corn. It's really good, they have those little black char marks on them. I love them thawed in southwestern salads with chipotle ranch.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I've never hesitated to put a little frozen corn in a bowl, let them thaw, and sprinkle them on salads. Same with frozen peas. It hasn't killed any of us yet!
As kids, we would pick not quite ripe ears right out of the garden and eat them. I loved the white corn ones. And peas? Same thing. Pull the peas, one at a time from the pod with our teeth. Didn't want to lose even one.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I only eat the corn we grow--don't know about corn you buy in the store. I start the pot before I walk out to the corn field. The best corn is that you pick and shuck on the way back to the farm house--and the water is ready when you walk in the door.

I'm sure the best thing to do is grow all your own food, but not everyone is in a position to do that. If I only ate what I grow, I would be very thin, and very very hungry!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
You obviously are buying your corn, not growing it.
Gotta have land to grow corn. Since corn isn't that nutritious, and is not really that good for a diabetic, it's a once in a while treat, and won't be taking up any of my precious garden space.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Gotta have land to grow corn. Since corn isn't that nutritious, and is not really that good for a diabetic, it's a once in a while treat, and won't be taking up any of my precious garden space.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Corn and potatoes do take up a lot of real estate. We grow potatoes because we have the room (and I still get a kick out of digging potatoes to discover how many the plant has produced). We grow corn because we can. I think we planted 6-8 100 ft. rows this year. We usually process 3-4 garden trailers around the end of August/beginning of September. If buying sweet corn at a roadside stand, it is best to buy it in the morning. The corn is usually picked first thing in the morning. The longer it sits, the starchier it gets.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Corn and potatoes do take up a lot of real estate. We grow potatoes because we have the room (and I still get a kick out of digging potatoes to discover how many the plant has produced). We grow corn because we can. I think we planted 6-8 100 ft. rows this year. We usually process 3-4 garden trailers around the end of August/beginning of September. If buying sweet corn at a roadside stand, it is best to buy it in the morning. The corn is usually picked first thing in the morning. The longer it sits, the starchier it gets.
There are newer varieties that stay sweet much longer, since most people aren't in a position to grow their own.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Newer corn strains have been bred to have a lot more sugar. Since the sugar to starch conversion cannot be stopped, more sugar means it will taste sweet longer.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Newer corn strains have been bred to have a lot more sugar. Since the sugar to starch conversion cannot be stopped, more sugar means it will taste sweet longer.
But I want my corn to taste like corn, not sugar. I miss the taste of fresh corn as it was purchased in the 60's and 70's.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corn