Corn on the Cob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if you realize it, but this attitude is pretty condescending. Thanks so much for calling what most of us have access to chicken feed.

I didn't think it was condescending at all. She was simply stating that since she grows her own corn, she is able to pick it at its peak. What she chooses to not eat, then goes to her chickens. It is not wasted. Would you rather she toss it in the compost heap?

CWS is fortunate enough to be able to have a sizeable farm and raise most of her own food. She realizes this option is not available to all of us. I would love to spend just one week on her farm. I too would eat what was available to me at its very peak. Because she has this option, her chickens are very healthy and well fed. Oh how I envy her. :angel:

Last edited:
I don't mean to be condescending. I have experience growing sweet corn. I'm sure there is s/one on DC with more experience, but that person hasn't chimed in.

List of sweetcorn varieties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
University of Vermont

When there are 1800-2400 ears of corn in the field, one can be selective about when one picks it and eats it. And, fwiw, if the cobs are too mature because we didn't get around to picking them, those get fed to the chickens, too.

I didn't think it was condescending at all. She was simply stating that since she grows her own corn, she is able to pick it at its peak. What she chooses to not eat, then goes to her chickens. It is not wasted. Would you rather she toss it in the compost heap?

CWS is fortunate enough to be able to have a sizeable farm and raise most of her own food. She realizes this option is not available to all of us. I would love to spend just one week on her farm. I too would eat what was available to me at its very peak. Because she has this option, her chickens are very healthy and well fed. Oh how I envy her. :angel:
It is hard work and I'm pretty sure there's an opening for a visitor during the third week of August when we are sick of green beans, tomatoes, corn, etc.:LOL: If I tossed the corn on the compost heap, the girls would find it (as would the dogs). I might as well feed it to the girls directly. When they are done, I have to go out and collect the cobs so the dogs won't get them.

One year, we made the mistake of having the girls out when we were planting corn. We turned around, and they were following us down the rows, digging up the seeds.

Myrtle: "What is this--hide the corn game?"
Harriet: "If we dig them all up, do we get a prize?"
Myrtle: "Big chickens have strange ideas for entertainment."
Harriet: "You got to admit, they are more entertaining than reality TV."

Don't confuse corn sugar with refined white sugar.

I wonder about that. Back in Ukraine/Russia we did not have sweet corn. I think what we had was probably corn used to feed the animals or it's equivalent. I actually missed that corn. It was very, how should I say, meaty, starchy, so to speak. Not sweet but not tart or bitter, just tasted like corn supposed taste, at least for me. My co-worker lives on a farm so he has brought some feed corn for me, but it was kind of small and not very tasty. Poor cows. I missed that taste.

I wonder about that. Back in Ukraine/Russia we did not have sweet corn. I think what we had was probably corn used to feed the animals or it's equivalent. I actually missed that corn. It was very, how should I say, meaty, starchy, so to speak. Not sweet but not tart or bitter, just tasted like corn supposed taste, at least for me. My co-worker lives on a farm so he has brought some feed corn for me, but it was kind of small and not very tasty. Poor cows. I missed that taste.

There are many different types of corn. I imagine much of the corn grown in the United States wouldn't be suitable in the climate of Ukraine/Russia.

The Story of Corn - History Detective - Many Kinds of Corn

Why not? I think the weather is very similar, at least WI and MN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Why not? I think the weather is very similar, at least WI and MN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I guess I thought that since corn originated in Mexico, it needed a more temperate climate, and I see a lot of it in Virginia and North and South Carolina. But evidently during the 20th century, it was bred for the conditions in the Midwest and Minnesota produces a large portion of the U.S. corn crop: Corn production in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you go to the Wiki site for corn (see GG reference) further down is a picture of the Corn Palace in South Dakota. Look at the foremost tower and at the middle of it. There is blazoned in corn the Nazi sign. Granted this picture was taken in 1907. Surely they could have found a more recent picture. :angel:

If you go to the Wiki site for corn (see GG reference) further down is a picture of the Corn Palace in South Dakota. Look at the foremost tower and at the middle of it. There is blazoned in corn the Nazi sign. Granted this picture was taken in 1907. Surely they could have found a more recent picture. :angel:
They only use pix in the public domain or where the owner has given permission, usually with a Creative Commons license that allows its use. They may not have been able to find a more recent one that fit those criteria.

The swastika has always been a symbol of good luck and family unity. When the Nazi's adopted it the original meaning was lost. I have an old cast iron trivet hanging in my kitchen that has a swastika, an oriental rug with them in the borders and an advertisement from a flour company in Buffalo NY that used them in advertisements. You will also see them on old good luck coins similar to this one.

$_57.JPG

Charlie, see if you can get someone to try to grow Hickory Cane corn. It's very starchy and not very sweet, but it has a bold corn flavor.

Charlie, see if you can get someone to try to grow Hickory Cane corn. It's very starchy and not very sweet, but it has a bold corn flavor.
Charlie, I'm in zone 4B/5a. Hickory Cane needs 110-120 days post germination to mature. Not going to grow in MN. Olivia, MN is known for its sweet corn...

There are many different types of corn. I imagine much of the corn grown in the United States wouldn't be suitable in the climate of Ukraine/Russia.

The Story of Corn - History Detective - Many Kinds of Corn

According to your link, it looks like the corn plant is the research food of today replacing the peanut. We are getting as many products and uses from corn as was discovered with the peanut. An interesting read. Recommended. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom