Corn on the Cob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually cut it off the cob and saute it in butter for breakfast the next morning or make some fresh corn chowder with butter and milk for lunch. :pig:

It will freeze just fine.

I've frozen it both on and off the cob. No problem.

Last edited:
How do you cook it?

I boil it in highly salted water (think pasta) and add some milk to the water, only because my mother said so. She also said to "partly" cover it and cook until it smelled like corn. Then it was done. All these years later, it's always worked for me because she said so. Mama was right.

Then you can cut it off the cob for leftovers and do whatever.

Anytime I wonder if I can freeze a certain food, I rack my silly brain and ask myself if I could find the same food in the freezer at my store. And over the years I have found that there are very few foods that can't be frozen. Fresh greens like lettuce are not good when frozen. But corn, on or off the cob can be. So go cook that corn and enjoy the leftovers another day. :angel:

The dutch gentleman from whom we rented a house eons ago grew sweet corn (and this spoiled me--the corn field was outside the bedroom window...I'd start the pot on the stove, go out, grab six ears of corn, shuck them on the way into the house, add cream or milk to the water, and about 2T of sugar--best corn). The cream and sugar were his recommendations. He also raised dairy cows. Now I've heard chefs say never to boil corn, to steam it. I still make corn the way Willie taught me. And I cook a lot of corn--we usually harvest 1800-2000 ears of corn. I freeze a lot of it--blanch it, shock it, take it off the cobs, freeze it.

Most people who grow sweet corn for market plant a number of varieties that are ready at about 2 week intervals. We plant a "silver" corn (Silver Queen) that is ready closer to the end of August. This is our favorite for freezing--the kernels aren't as big as the bi-coloured or the yellow that is ready early in the season. The starch/sugar content is a little lower for the Silver Queen than the other varieties we plant. It is excellent frozen--tastes fresh when we eat it in January. Tried freezing on the cobs one year, took too much room in the freezer and we weren't impressed with the taste.

Last edited:
CWS, we like the bi-color and Silver Queen best, too, but it's not ready yet. We still can't even buy any local corn....not for a few more weeks. We bought ours in the grocery store. Who knows where it came from.

Kayelle, we shuck the corn and cook it on the grill. We like when it gets burn marks on it. We never eat it right of the ear because of teeth, or in my husband's case, the lack thereof. I eat it just as it is with no salt or butter. I like to taste the corn. DH has started mixing his with ranch dressing. I tried it and it was pretty good, but I still prefer mine naked.

As it turned out, we only have 1 leftover ear so someone will eat that today. Normally, DH will not eat anything that is leftover and frozen, that's why I had the original question. I think it would be great to use for corn and black bean salsa. It calls for a can of corn, but I think the leftover grilled corn would be wonderful!

I don't shuck my corn until it's hot and ready to be eaten. I either soak the corn in water, and grill it until it's hot, or put 3 pieces in the microwave, and heat for 4 minutes. The corn is piping hot, with crispy kernals, and full, naked corn flavor. We just have a platter on the table for putting the empty husks on. Sometimes I save the husks for making tamales, after they've dried of course.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't shuck my corn until it's hot and ready to be eaten. I either soak the corn in water, and grill it until it's hot, or put 3 pieces in the microwave, and heat for 4 minutes. The corn is piping hot, with crispy kernals, and full, naked corn flavor. We just have a platter on the table for putting the empty husks on. Sometimes I save the husks for making tamales, after they've dried of course.

Do you leave the silk on or take it off before cooking? I microwaved some corn on the cob and left it all on, as per instructions. Getting the burning hot silk off was a PITA.

Anytime I wonder if I can freeze a certain food, I rack my silly brain and ask myself if I could find the same food in the freezer at my store. And over the years I have found that there are very few foods that can't be frozen. Fresh greens like lettuce are not good when frozen. But corn, on or off the cob can be. So go cook that corn and enjoy the leftovers another day. :angel:
I have never seen frozen cooked corn at the supermarket.

Another reason for my question is that I had heard that you can blanch the corn, then cut it off and freeze it, but I was not sure that that could be done with it completely cooked.

The reason we husk it before we grill it is because we like the black grill marks on the actual corn kernels. I have never seen this done when I've been at a cook out or barbque, it's just something DH started doing.

I only eat the corn we grow--don't know about corn you buy in the store. I start the pot before I walk out to the corn field. The best corn is that you pick and shuck on the way back to the farm house--and the water is ready when you walk in the door.

You obviously are buying your corn, not growing it.:LOL:

I put cubed potatoes in my chicken soup. I used to freeze quarts for later use. But the potatoes got a nasty texture. So I don't freeze it any more.

Back
Top Bottom