Country Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Country Casserole

This gratin-style dish easily stands on its own or goes nicely with a small portion of chicken, ham or pork. This dish a good choice for a hearty green, such as kale.

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp broth or water, cold
2 c skim milk, cold
2 Tbsp flour
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c cooked kale*, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped pecans, divided (optional)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 medium cooked potato, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp plain bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium saucepan, combine oil, broth, milk and flour. Stir until flour dissolves. Then over medium heat, cook, stirring until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a medium skillet sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir onion mixture into milk mixture. Stir in kale, one-half of pecans if using, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Spread a thin layer of kale mixture over bottom of medium shallow baking dish. Alternately layer potato slices and kale mixture until both are used up. Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and remaining pecans. Bake until heated through and top is golden, about 30 minutes.

*Frozen, thawed kale can be used as a substitute, but drain it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This gratin-style dish easily stands on its own or goes nicely with a small portion of chicken, ham or pork. It’s a good choice for a hearty green, such as kale.

Recently inquired about kale and appreciate the time for this recipe. Looks wonderful. Did you get to try it?

This looks great PA Baker - Gosh, to get 2 cups of cooked kale I'll have to pull out my huge, huge stockpot!!!! lol It still, after all these years, amazes me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom