"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Perhaps I should be embarrassed to say this, but I almost never cook any recipe exactly the way the author wrote it. I just can't help myself, I've developed my own ideas about how things should be cooked and I'm too headstrong to follow instructions. When I cook this crash recipe I'll read the recipe and maybe make a few notes in my head, and then I'll go right along and cook the recipe my way. I understand of course that you can't criticize the author or the original recipe unless you follow it exactly.

I think of recipes more as concepts than as procedures which much be followed. For me vague recipes are better.

I agree entirely.

I think of them more as ideas.

Something like Julia Child's beef burgandy, I'll make it the first time pretty much by the recipe and then improvise or change things after that.

Or if I'm entirely unfamiliar with a technique or ingredient, Ill follow it the first time.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Boil them, smash them and deep fry them. Finish with whatever seasonings you like and a good dipping sauce. Serve with a "fancy pants" burger...you won't be sorry

Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

i thought the recipe was clear and easy to follow. haven't made them, but will be on list for guests.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

it is a clear and straightforward recipe, babe. the only two things that needed to be stressed, as jenny and i pointed out, were that you need to cut open the spuds before smashing down to expose the flesh, and the sticking a soaking wet (from par boiling) potato in an oven requires a very hot oven in order to crisp properly without just drying them out while you wait for those promised browned edges.

my first time making them was prety bas as well. they didn't smash like the pics, looking more like a car ran over them.

also, even a 400 degree oven merely began to dehydrate the soggy potatoes over a long time while i waited for them to crisp.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Made a batch of these for supper tonight. Used the convection roast function on the oven that intermittently activates the broiler. Seasoned with finely diced rosemary from the garden, salt and pepper. All I can say is AWESOME. They turned out great. Will be serving the leftovers as hash browns with breakfast tomorrow.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it is a clear and straightforward recipe, babe. the only two things that needed to be stressed, as jenny and i pointed out, were that you need to cut open the spuds before smashing down to expose the flesh, and the sticking a soaking wet (from par boiling) potato in an oven requires a very hot oven in order to crisp properly without just drying them out while you wait for those promised browned edges.

my first time making them was prety bas as well. they didn't smash like the pics, looking more like a car ran over them.

also, even a 400 degree oven merely began to dehydrate the soggy potatoes over a long time while i waited for them to crisp.
I think you've picked two of the essences of this recipe (1) your potatoes should be very well steamed before you smash them, and (2) your oven should be very hot in order to brown or crisp them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Made a batch of these for supper tonight. Used the convection roast function on the oven that intermittently activates the broiler. Seasoned with finely diced rosemary from the garden, salt and pepper. All I can say is AWESOME. They turned out great. Will be serving the leftovers as hash browns with breakfast tomorrow.
I think a very good point you made is to use fresh rosemary. This recipe is slated to fail if your rosemary isn't fresh. And I scoff the twigs in the recipe in the OP. I never thought that would work. The recipe should use fresh, chopped rosemary leaves.

You could maybe introduce herbs at a late/appropriate stage of cooking...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think I'll boil up some taters tonight for these in the morning. Get the Griddler set up, some French Toast, mandarin syrup, while the griddle is hot.

I love orange and rosemary together.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
Master Chef

It looks to me like any problems with the recipe are with the fact that the potatoes need to be completely cooked before the smush and browning. All you're doing is putting a browned crust on the potatoes. I've tried the various versions of cooking the potatoes in the beginning, and it doesn't make much difference. Americans Test Kitchen baked them with some water in the bottom of the pan if I remember right, but I've boiled, pressure cooked, (for more than the two of us) and nuked with no real difference in flavor. They just have to be completely cooked before you smash them. There are only two of us, so the griddler (or alternately, a skillet) makes more sense than the oven.

It is breaking my heart that I went to the grocery store and they had the very loveliest yukon gold real babies! But I have enough potatoes (regular yukon golds) to last a month, so couldn't take advantage of them. Ouch!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
Cook

This looks very tasty! I'm going to try making these with a butter, oil, onion soup mixture drizzled over.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post

My oven has a convection roast function also. What temp did you use and for how long?

Tags
potatoes, recipe

Crash Hot Potatoes Crash Hot Potatoes from The Pioneer Woman [IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2545107578_a05a1ec094_o.jpg[/IMG] This recipe is about as perfect a potato recipe as I can imagine, and I hope to cook it soon. [URL="http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/"]Crash Hot Potatoes (recipe)[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews