Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy these look great -- I am making them tonight with sharp chedder instead of swiss as that is what i have on hand.
I do have one question that i think I know the answer. The bacon is cooked first before putting it in. It looks as those it is by looking in the pic.
just wanted to besure.
You should almost always cook the bacon first. I say almost always because there may be some obscure recipe out there where you don't. I've never encountered one, but it may exist. So, YES, cook the bacon first for this recipe.

Boy these look great -- I am making them tonight with sharp chedder instead of swiss as that is what i have on hand.
I do have one question that i think I know the answer. The bacon is cooked first before putting it in. It looks as those it is by looking in the pic.
just wanted to besure.

You use raw bacon in the dish. It will get cooked. I'm sure you can used cooked, but this will save you from frying up some bacon.

I made a 1/2 recipe as it is just hubbie and me and they are in the oven as i type. I precooked the bacon slightly and then I did a naughty might arteries my object -I use 1/2 bacon grease and 1/2 butter - I will up date later look and smell great at the moment. Got some oven bake Bq chicken to go with it. was going to outside, weather changed - to cold here in upstate Ny

My mother and grandmother has always used raw bacon. That is all I ever use. I just thought everyone did.
I don't actually remember my mother ever using bacon in things. Odd. I just go by the cooking shows where bacon is used and they always cook it. I've never seen a chef use raw bacon in a recipe like this. I think for my own piece of mind, I'll definitely still cook the bacon first. Just personal I guess.

Scalloped potatoes are a casserole of potatoes and sauce, just as Callisto said. Technically (and the terminology I follow), when cheese is added it is called potatoes au gratin or even scalloped potatoes au gratin in some older cookbooks.

Some recipes call for the potatoes to be cooked first as in a wonderful dish I do called Gratin Daphenoise, where you simmer the potato slices in heavy (whipping) cream until blanched, then layer them in a dish with grated gruyere cheese and lots of garlic. Then you pour the cream over. But if it has cheese in it, it is technically au gratin, whether you cook the potatoes first or not.

Now, I have seen over the years many people just calling it scalloped potatoes because they always put cheese in it and it is easier to say. So, once again, Technically, it is potatoes au gratin when it has cheese, but commonly, people do interchange the name. Hope that helps clear up the confusion.

By the way, when I made them I just cooked the bacon enough to render a bit of fat and let it finished cooking in the casserole. I just find that this brings out the bacon flavour better, but it is whatever you are used to.

Last edited:
I don't actually remember my mother ever using bacon in things. Odd. I just go by the cooking shows where bacon is used and they always cook it. I've never seen a chef use raw bacon in a recipe like this. I think for my own piece of mind, I'll definitely still cook the bacon first. Just personal I guess.

Think about it though, it bakes at 400 degress for 60 minutes and the potatoes get cooked through. The bacon will too. You are right, it is a personal choice and I am lazy. :rolleyes:

Think about it though, it bakes at 400 degress for 60 minutes and the potatoes get cooked through. The bacon will too. You are right, it is a personal choice and I am lazy. :rolleyes:
No, you're completely right. I had just never used raw bacon in something and it's a little unsettling to me.

Scalloped potatoes are a casserole of potatoes and sauce, just as Callisto said. Technically (and the terminology I follow), when cheese is added it is called potatoes au gratin or even scalloped potatoes au gratin in some older cookbooks.

Some recipes call for the potatoes to be cooked first as in a wonderful dish I do called Gratin Daphenoise, where you simmer the potato slices in heavy (whipping) cream until blanched, then layer them in a dish with grated gruyere cheese and lots of garlic. Then you pour the cream over. But if it has cheese in it, it is technically au gratin, whether you cook the potatoes first or not.

Now, I have seen over the years many people just calling it scalloped potatoes because they always put cheese in it and it is easier to say. So, once again, Technically, it is potatoes au gratin when it has cheese, but commonly, people do interchange the name. Hope that helps clear up the confusion.

By the way, when I made them I just cooked the bacon enough to render a bit of fat and let it finished cooking in the casserole. I just find that this brings out the bacon flavour better, but it is whatever you are used to.

I feel not cooking the bacon first adds more flavor and I like the texture of the bacon better. It is what I am used to. It is a matter of taste though. Not saying its wrong or right.

I feel not cooking the bacon first adds more flavor and I like the texture of the bacon better. It is what I am used to. It is a matter of taste though. Not saying its wrong or right.
So the fat renders into the potatoes and enhances the flavor? That might be interesting to try.

Oh, Debbie, I would never say that anything another cook does is wrong or right, specially you! You come up with such wonderful recipes. I, like you, was just stating how and why I do it. I think I will try it raw next time and see the difference. And there will be a next time, they are awesome!

Oh, Debbie, I would never say that anything another cook does is wrong or right, specially you! You come up with such wonderful recipes. I, like you, was just stating how and why I do it. I think I will try it raw next time and see the difference. And there will be a next time, they are awesome!

I do understand. Thanks for the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom