"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Boy these look great -- I am making them tonight with sharp chedder instead of swiss as that is what i have on hand.
I do have one question that i think I know the answer. The bacon is cooked first before putting it in. It looks as those it is by looking in the pic.
just wanted to besure.
You should almost always cook the bacon first. I say almost always because there may be some obscure recipe out there where you don't. I've never encountered one, but it may exist. So, YES, cook the bacon first for this recipe.
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #22
Sous Chef
 
Ol-blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Boy these look great -- I am making them tonight with sharp chedder instead of swiss as that is what i have on hand.
I do have one question that i think I know the answer. The bacon is cooked first before putting it in. It looks as those it is by looking in the pic.
just wanted to besure.
You use raw bacon in the dish. It will get cooked. I'm sure you can used cooked, but this will save you from frying up some bacon.
__________________

__________________
Family Camping Chat
Ol-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol-blue View Post
You use raw bacon in the dish. It will get cooked. I'm sure you can used cooked, but this will save you from frying up some bacon.
And there you go, the first raw bacon recipe I've ever encountered.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
Ol-blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
And there you go, the first raw bacon recipe I've ever encountered.
My mother and grandmother has always used raw bacon. That is all I ever use. I just thought everyone did.
__________________
Family Camping Chat
Ol-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,879
I made a 1/2 recipe as it is just hubbie and me and they are in the oven as i type. I precooked the bacon slightly and then I did a naughty might arteries my object -I use 1/2 bacon grease and 1/2 butter - I will up date later look and smell great at the moment. Got some oven bake Bq chicken to go with it. was going to outside, weather changed - to cold here in upstate Ny
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol-blue View Post
My mother and grandmother has always used raw bacon. That is all I ever use. I just thought everyone did.
I don't actually remember my mother ever using bacon in things. Odd. I just go by the cooking shows where bacon is used and they always cook it. I've never seen a chef use raw bacon in a recipe like this. I think for my own piece of mind, I'll definitely still cook the bacon first. Just personal I guess.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
Ol-blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 902
Great. Let me know how it turns out. Enjoy.
__________________
Family Camping Chat
Ol-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #28
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,938
Scalloped potatoes are a casserole of potatoes and sauce, just as Callisto said. Technically (and the terminology I follow), when cheese is added it is called potatoes au gratin or even scalloped potatoes au gratin in some older cookbooks.

Some recipes call for the potatoes to be cooked first as in a wonderful dish I do called Gratin Daphenoise, where you simmer the potato slices in heavy (whipping) cream until blanched, then layer them in a dish with grated gruyere cheese and lots of garlic. Then you pour the cream over. But if it has cheese in it, it is technically au gratin, whether you cook the potatoes first or not.

Now, I have seen over the years many people just calling it scalloped potatoes because they always put cheese in it and it is easier to say. So, once again, Technically, it is potatoes au gratin when it has cheese, but commonly, people do interchange the name. Hope that helps clear up the confusion.

By the way, when I made them I just cooked the bacon enough to render a bit of fat and let it finished cooking in the casserole. I just find that this brings out the bacon flavour better, but it is whatever you are used to.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #29
Sous Chef
 
Ol-blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I don't actually remember my mother ever using bacon in things. Odd. I just go by the cooking shows where bacon is used and they always cook it. I've never seen a chef use raw bacon in a recipe like this. I think for my own piece of mind, I'll definitely still cook the bacon first. Just personal I guess.
Think about it though, it bakes at 400 degress for 60 minutes and the potatoes get cooked through. The bacon will too. You are right, it is a personal choice and I am lazy.
__________________
Family Camping Chat
Ol-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol-blue View Post
Think about it though, it bakes at 400 degress for 60 minutes and the potatoes get cooked through. The bacon will too. You are right, it is a personal choice and I am lazy.
No, you're completely right. I had just never used raw bacon in something and it's a little unsettling to me.
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.