Cucumber Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with GB. If you are adding them to stew or something like that, I don't rinse (pretty much all canned beans). For salads or something like that, I always rinse.

Hothouse cukes do have seeds. English cukes (longer, usually wrapped in plastic) have far less, though not seedless.

GB said:
I usually do rinse the canned chickpeas Mish, but it depends on what you are making. If they are going into something that needs to be thickened then not rising them can add some thickening power.

Thanks, GB. I was always a litty fuzzy as to why some recipes say rinse, & some don't.

jennyema said:
I agree with GB. If you are adding them to stew or something like that, I don't rinse (pretty much all canned beans). For salads or something like that, I always rinse.

Hothouse cukes do have seeds. English cukes (longer, usually wrapped in plastic) have far less, though not seedless.

Thanks jenny. You read my mind... was going to ask about English cukes. Think I had it backwards regarding which had less seeds.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the information. I will def. pick me up some pisacchios and chickpeas next time I'm at the market. I'll even see if the deal has any hummus to see what it taste like too.

if you still want a lil imput on the cuccs, I love a simple summer salad of thin sliced vidallia onion, thick sliced tomato, and sliced cuccs...ad a little cider vineagar, soybean oil, salt and pepper, and chill.

Cucumbers...
Raitha: Diced, salted, added to fresh yoghurt, with a little cumin powder, a good tbsp of dill, a tbsp of mint and a tbsp of coriander leaf. Well I like a chopped green chilli in it , too, but that's just me!
Maharashtran Cucumber Salad: Diced cucumbers, crushed, ready-salted peanuts, 1/4 cup freshly grated coconut,1 finely chopped green chilli pepper (optional)1 tsp black ( yellow if you don't have black) mustard seeds, 1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter or sunflower oil, 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder (optional), 1/2 tsp sugar, salt to taste. Place the diced cucumbers in a bowl. Crush the peanuts and add to the cukes,along with the chillies and peanuts.
In a small frying pan, heat up the oil, then add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the asafoetida, stir once and pour over the cucumber mixture. Add the sugar and mix gently to incorporate all the flavours. Allow to stand for 10 minutes then taste for salt - you may, or may not, need a little more.
Salmon-Cucumber Appetizers:Cut the cuke into rounds, about 1/4 inch thick. Blend together 1/2 cup fresh parsley, a tbsp fresh dill, a tbsp chopped red onion, a little cream cheese to firm up the sauce. Place a tsp of the parsley/dill/etc sauce on the cucumber round, then a curl of smoked salmon. Top with a caper,or two.

Oh dear me , I've just posted a dastardly fishie in the Vegetarian forum. My apologies!
Use a (soft) smoked cheese if you're vegetarian, but eat milk products.
try with a gently-baked slice of aubergine if you're a vegan.

cliveb said:
Maharashtran Cucumber Salad: Diced cucumbers, crushed, ready-salted peanuts, 1/4 cup freshly grated coconut,1 finely chopped green chilli pepper (optional)1 tsp black ( yellow if you don't have black) mustard seeds, 1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter or sunflower oil, 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder (optional), 1/2 tsp sugar, salt to taste. Place the diced cucumbers in a bowl. Crush the peanuts and add to the cukes,along with the chillies and peanuts.
In a small frying pan, heat up the oil, then add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the asafoetida, stir once and pour over the cucumber mixture. Add the sugar and mix gently to incorporate all the flavours. Allow to stand for 10 minutes then taste for salt - you may, or may not, need a little more.
This sounds delicious! I have never heard of asafoetida powder though. What is that?

I love cucumbers and also have them in my garden. All of the recipes mentioned here are the best. I especially like thin slices of cukes marinated in seasoned rice vinegar, olive oil, spices of your choice, salt and pepper, and lots of thinly sliced red onion. I make a large bowl of this and keep it in the refrig for snacking, to add to salads, sandwiches, etc. Try slices of cukes as dippers in your favorite dip --much fewer calories than chips!! My favorite sandwich: whole wheat or sliced sourdough bread spread with plain or flavored cream cheese (garlic/onion, herb, smoked salmon, etc.), piled high with the marinated cukes and onions, thin slices of tomato, and avocado! YUMMERS!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom