"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #21
Master Chef

Green Lady - & I say this will all due respect - you are doing vegetarians everywhere an extreme disservice with your attitude. I'm 100% sensitive to everyone's food preferences. In fact, my husband hasn't eaten ANY red meat products for 35 years.

But if someone with vegetarian or vegan leanings showed up at my home without advising me ahead of time of their preferences or showed up & didn't ask what was in certain dishes, then ate them & spit them out - discreetly or not - they wouldn't be invited back again.

There are quite a few cole slaw recipes with meat (usually a smoked meat) in them; same for pasta salads. For you to say "give me a break" because the food provided wasn't tailored to your eating preferences is EXACTLY why so many people find vegetarians so snooty. A title they don't deserve, but frequently get because of people like you. As far as saying "can't anyone go for one day without meat" - OF COURSE THEY CAN, but they shouldn't have to just because you say so. Or apparently don't say so & just assume when you visit with friends.

It's entirely up to YOU to make your preferences/allergies/food principles known when you dine away from home. If you don't, you have no business spitting out food or whining about what you're served.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
Master Chef

Some recipes can be made vegetarian by just omitting the meat: spaghetti with marinara sauce, taco salad, burritos made with vegetarian refried beans, etc.

I made the recipe below when working down at the dispatch center on my forest. I made one pot vegetarian and the other with meat. Everyone loved it.

Jambalaya

Also, some recipes that we eat for everyday are vegetarian. Like for example minestrone soup, red beans and rice, etc.

I personally love veggie burgers. I dress them up like I would a hamburger with all the traditional fixings and they are great.

Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #23
Cook

I in no way meant that people should go without meat. What I did suggest, is that people try it. It seems to me that people, (mostly meat-eaters) feel that it is not a complete meal unless there is a piece of meat on the table. And that is not just from one or two households.

Do a survey on your own. Ask most people how they feel about meals and meat and I would bet my bottom dollar that most people, if asked, would feel that a meal is not a meal unless there is some sort of meat on the table.

And to date, my in-laws still ask my daughter if she wants meat, and she has been meat free for over 4 years. It is just something that is instilled into us from nearly the day we are born. I think that people should at least try a change in their diet, to see how others do it.

Also, when someone new comes over to my house for dinner, I always ask. "Is there something you like or don't like?" I do it mostly for allergies, or dishes they may hate, but then if there was something special they needed to address, they could do it at that time. I think I ask that question because of my daughters lifestyle, but hey, not a bad habit to get into.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treklady

Do a survey on your own. Ask most people how they feel about meals and meat and I would bet my bottom dollar that most people, if asked, would feel that a meal is not a meal unless there is some sort of meat on the table.
Good idea!

(Click that for the poll)
Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #25
Head Chef

You should have seen the looks on peoples faces, and heard the comments when our guests found out we were having a vegetarian wedding :) It was then when we found out who are true friends and relatives were, and who the people that were just attending for the food were.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #26
Master Chef

How smallminded of them!!! A vegetarian wedding would have been a supreme opportunity for people to enjoy so many different dishes. (Sounds like something I'd like to cater - lol!!!). Just think of it - Asian dishes, African dishes, some Indian curries, Italian pastas, mounds of fragrant rice & couscous - Lord, the list of terrific foods that would work in this case are endless!!!

Far too many people still think of vegetarian cuisine as a lump of bland tofu, a mound of seaweed, & some mashed yeast - lol!!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Mashed yeast!!!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #28
Master Chef

To make a simple vegetable (yes, it is even vegan) broth (do NOT call it vegetable stock. Stock means there are bones in the making, which gives it that gelatanous loook when cold that most vegans are actually grossed out by!):

3 carrots
1 yellow onion, quartered
1 red onion, quartered
1 leek, cleaned and halved lengthwise
1 head of garlic, separated, but you don't have to peel
3 ribs celery
2-3 tomatoes, halved

Place on a baking sheet (they can touch, but you want one layer) sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper

Bake in a 300 oven until browned (this really varies in time,so check every 20 min or so)

Chop and put in 2-3 quarts of water and stew for an hour. Mash, then strain.

This broth will go as well as beef or chicken stock in any recipe. The numbers of vegetables is very optional, I do double it because I freeze lots of broth and stock (no, I'm not vegetarian, just DO have a lot of friends of all cultures). If you have 3 onions and like them, do it. If you have .... well, you get it.

Alternatively, grill a bunch of all sorts of veggies over charcoal. In addition to the above have zuchini and eggplant. When you stew this to make your broth, you will get a lovely, smokey flavor that really compliments bean and lentil soups. Even your most carnivorous friends will be amazed that there is no bacon or ham in your lovely bean/lentil/split pea soup.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #29
Cook

When my daughter was but just a few months old, I had some friends over for a Christmas meal, and they were vegans. I was just a plain 'ol vegetarian at that time and found it a challenge to cook for vegans. And let me tell you, I pulled it off.

There was not a turkey or ham in sight and the table was filled with plenty of food, and even a vegan pumpkin pie, and that thing rocked. I amazed myself, and with a little research and perseverance, I had a delicious and delightful holiday and it was meat free.

I usually do Thanksgiving at my house, I wonder who would have something to say or not show (Much like Larry_stewarts wedding) if I decided to have a meat free Thanksgiving. It' snot about the turkey, it's about giving thanks for what we have...right??

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #30
Head Chef

As a rule of thumb, before hosting new people I always ask if there are any special dietary allergies/needs. I have cooked for meat lovers and vegatarian guests. So many great recipes out there to enjoy. When cooking a vegatarian dinner most are not even aware that meat is missing for the meal.

Tags
None