"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Dating a vegetarian...

So I just started dating a vegetarian. I'm a meat lover and she knows that, and she's fine with it, as long as I don't force it onto her. Only problem is, I want to be able to cook dinners for us that we can both eat.

My question is, what's the best resource for vegetarian recipes? I'm hoping on finding sites that actually have user-submitted reviews and things like that.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Check out our site here under Health and Nutrition and also check out our Vegetable Forum. It has lots of recipes. Also, just do a google search for Vegetarian Recipes - that should keep you buys for awhile! lol

Also, you might just find yourself eating less meat and truly enjoying a different way of eating/cooking. But, on occasion, there's nothing better than a good hunk of rare beef!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
This reminds me of that movie “Pulp Fiction” when Samuel L. Jackson’s character says “My girlfriend is a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian too”. :)

I had some friends that were vegetarians, and they loved the large Portobello mushrooms caps . They called them the “steak of the vegetarian”. They would make all kinds of great recipes using the caps as if they were steak or hamburger patties.

I’ve also seen a really great recipe for a “Bean Burger” that looks good, and I’m a die-hard meat eater.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Thinking of that bean burger made me curious again.

One way is here.

Another here.

Yet another.

And here’s one with sweet potatoes.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Executive Chef

HA! I'm a veggie and my husband is a Brit meat lover! We get on just fine since he is willing to eat my fabulous veggie dishes and I don't care that he eats meat! (Although I wont cook it for him)

I would suggest visiting a few veg cooking sites Vegan / Vegetarian Recipes and More for the Vegan Diet and Lifestyle is a favorite, lots of user reviews. You can also find good stuff on epicurious.com and allrecipes.com. But mostly I use about 5 different cookbooks I have invested in. I also have about 6 favorite veggie food blogs that I use often. I'll post some links for you later!

And I agree that Portabello's are very steak like, I cook with them weekly! Beans and lentils are great, also dishes with brown rice or quinoa. You can make your meat separate and have the same sides together. Tofu stir frys are a favorite of mine and my meat loving husband!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Here are some of my favorite veggie blogs where you can get some great recipes...

A Veggie Venture | Vegetable inspiration from Asparagus to Zucchini

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

vegalicious - delicious vegan food and more

101 Cookbooks - Recipe Journal

That should get you started!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Get your hands around an authentic southwestern Indian cookbook. I recommend Grains, Greens, and Grated Coconuts By Ammini Ramachandran. The vegetable curries alone will add significant spice to your life.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef

This is a great one even if you eat meat you can use it to make the dishes and then just cook a side of meat for yourself it has pasta dishes,pizzas,salads soups,grains,curries etc. You can look inside this book and read contents,index or a surprise page.

www.amazon.com/Fields-Greens-Vegetarian-Celebrated-Restaurant/dp/0553091395
Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

Since my husband doesn't eat any red-meat products (just seafood & poultry), we also eat quite a bit of vegetarian dishes. Have also had a number of vegetarian friends over the years, which can make planning an interesting dinner party challenging. Anyway, if you have an Asian market near you, this is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes. And it can be paired easily with other vegetarian Asian dishes, like Thai spicy peanut-sauced noodles, vegetarian fried rice, etc., etc., for a real Asian feast.

BABY CORN AND MOCK ABALONE

Adapted From Madame Chu’s Chinese Cooking School by Grace Zia Chu

Ingredients:

6 dried or fresh Shitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon dried Cloud Ears (optional)
1 can Mock Abalone or other canned gluten product
2 ounces fresh snow peas
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 small zucchini squash, cut in oblique pieces **
½ teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 can whole baby corn
½ a red bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons water

Preparation:

If using dried mushrooms & cloud ears, soak in warm water for 20-30 minutes, rinse thoroughly, drain, remove stems & cut into quarters. If using fresh mushrooms, rinse thoroughly, remove stems, & cut into quarters.

Wash snow peas, string, & cut into 1” pieces.

Cooking Procedure:

Heat oil in large skillet or wok. Add mushrooms & stir fry for 30 seconds. Add gluten & cloud ears (if using) & stir. Add zucchini, sugar, & soy sauce. Mix, then add baby corn & mix again. Add 2 tablespoons water & cook for 2 minutes, uncovered. Add snow peas & red pepper. Thicken with the predissolved cornstarch (stirred again to make sure the water & cornstarch are thoroughly mixed) & serve hot over rice.

Variation:

To give this dish more of a Szechuan character, add a teaspoon or more of Chili-Garlic Paste to taste, along with the snow peas & red pepper.

** To cut obliquely – slice, then give vegetable a quarter turn & slice again, etc., etc. This opens up more of the vegetable’s cooking surface.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Master Chef

Oh, & as far as good vegetarian cookbooks - I have quite a large collection of them, most gleaned from good old Border's Books. They have quite a few in their discount section at more than reasonable prices that are definitely worth the few $$. Their collection of discount ethnic cookbooks also have a fabulous number of vegetarian recipes - many, if not all, quite "date-worthy".

Tags
None