"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
Wine Guy

My mother's "scalloped potatoes" was nothing to write home about. It was thick slices of potatoes with a greasy, gloppy sauce made of milk, butter, and flour. There were usually inedible lumps of flour in it. I loved my mom, but I hated her potato dish. Even Rombauer and Becker's recipe has flour in it. So I think it's maybe the flour I don't like.

To be fair, regardless of what you call it, this isn't a dish I could eat weekly... or even monthly. I tend to avoid recipes that call for any more than a half cup of cream in the ingredient list. But every once in awhile, you just have to indulge.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
Head Chef

Thats it Steve, its more of a once in a while treat dish really, its ages since I had it.

In our chippies (chip shops) we used to be able to buy Scallops - which was thinly sliced potatoes in batter. Smashing. No idea if they still do them as I never go to the chippy these days!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm going to try this, but with the changes I'll make, it won't be Dauphinoise. I can't pronounce that anyway!

I've got a bunch of little red potatoes, evaporated milk, and plenty of garlic. Also, I can't imagine making this without onions, so I'll use my slicer thingy to alternate slices of potatoes with onions.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Even Rombauer and Becker's recipe has flour in it. So I think it's maybe the flour I don't like.
Sorry to disagree, I was updating my own recipe putting it in print a few months ago and I researched Rombauer & Becker's scalloped potato recipe and compared it to mine. Neither uses flour. I can't even imagine what purpose flour would serve in scalloped potatoes.

However I know right now that my recipe uses too much cream for your tastes, although I use 50:50 cream:milk.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Starchy! I'm not sure why on earth you'd use a waxy potato when Pommes Dauphinoise uses mashed potatoes which are usually made with starchy potatoes.

EDIT: Whoops I totally got Pommes Dauphinoise and Pommes Dauphine mixed up for a minute!

For Dauphinoise use WAXY
For Dauphine use STARCHY
Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Sorry to disagree, I was updating my own recipe putting it in print a few months ago and I researched Rombauer & Becker's scalloped potato recipe and compared it to mine. Neither uses flour. I can't even imagine what purpose flour would serve in scalloped potatoes.

However I know right now that my recipe uses too much cream for your tastes, although I use 50:50 cream:milk.
Which edition of Joy of Cooking are you looking in Greg? My 1975 edition lists two recipes for scalloped potatoes. One uses flour and the other uses condensed mushroom or celery soup.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Well I guess if I really want the answer I'll have to do some research. I've owned at least three editions of Joy of Cooking, and my latest is a really nice recent edition--except it's with all the rest of my cookbooks in storage. The book I looked at several weeks ago was at the public library (because it was easier than getting to my own copy) and I don't recall which edition. So maybe the best answer would be I don't know. Joy of Cooking was my main cookbook for a couple of decades, along with the Sunset cookbooks which probably many people remember. And then they invented the Internet...

The recipe I'm referring to definitely didn't have any canned soup. I'm just curious. What would be the reason for anybody adding flour to scalloped potatoes?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
...I'm just curious. What would be the reason for anybody adding flour to scalloped potatoes?

As a thickener.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #39
Executive Chef

But... But... But... My recipe (very similar to Joy of Cooking) already has nice, thick, creamy, cheesy sauce. Get it right and the sauce is thick and the tops are nicely browned. There's no need for flour, just the right amount of liquid at the beginning and the right amount of cooking does it all.

But of course, accepting reality, some people may think it needs flour.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

I think part of the logic was that a white sauce wasn't as fattening as heavy cream and butter.

Tags
potatoes