"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Dependence on onions!!

Hi all! I have a question that really bugs me sometimes. First let me say, what I'm about to say is very much prejudiced.. I absolutely cannot stand onions! The taste, the smell, everything about them makes me sick to my stomach. They leave such a horrible taste in my mouth and their flavor seems to overwhelm every dish they end up in.
So my question is this, why do so many people insist in putting onions in their dishes? Maybe some people just honestly enjoy the taste of an onion, but in some dishes, where there is an abundance of spice and other things that pretty much negate their flavor, there is a huge amount of onion bits!
It seems to me wherever I go, I have to insist that the cooks don't use onions in my dish, no matter what kind of dish it is. Are people really that insistent on using onions in every type of food?
I just don't see why they have to end up everywhere!!
Love to hear what you all have to say

sahd0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
You'd be amazed at how much many dishes are lacking any flavor whatsoever with onion left out.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Master Chef
I kinda have that same feeling about bell peppers. I do like them fresh with salads occassionally, but not a fan of them cooked in dishes. They impart such a strong flavor that I do not care for. It seems that it is a common item in many recipes. In some recipes, it is not a big factor for what ever reason. But if I am out dining and looking for something new to try, I will avoid anything that has bell peppers listed in the description.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Sous Chef
It's just personal preference.
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Head Chef
The onions you can't taste so well in very spied dishs have created a base note to the flavour :), balancing the other flavours. It must b a tricky aversion inded, you are right, so much has onion in it!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Master Chef
I only have a problem with raw onions like on a salad. They give me heartburn! If they are cooked into a dish or fried like with onion rings I do okay. The hot homemade mayo on my potato salad tempers them enough and I tend to go light on them in that dish anyway. Most dishes you can leave the onion out but it will taste different!
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I used to hate onions. I could tolerate them only if they were cooked to that "transparent" stage , the point where I couldn't see them , but now..... as long as they are sweet onions they find their way into a lot of foods uncooked; salads, tacos, on top of a Ritz cracker with a piece of cheddar and loaded with s & p, an uncooked slice of onions on top of a hamburger.... and a good deal of the food I cook, too. I do not think they overpower anything I use them on or in. And I used to be from your side.

Now radishes on the other hand.....
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
Ah see, this is exactly what makes me think I'm the only person with this problem >< Nobody else seems to mind onions, while I always get sick from their horrible aftertaste and stench.
I do notice that things taste a tiny bit different if they are cooked without onions, but it is a difference I can definitely live with!

I totally understand about the red peppers as well. Their flavor just overpowers almost every dish they are in! Definitely not unpleasant like onions, but they could be toned down a bit sometimes =)
sahd0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
Sous Chef
I love onions - just not extremely strong ones. At certain time of the year, they are just to "oniony"
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
i couldn't live without onions. certain things, like burgers, or egg sandwiches, or a balboa (an italian cheesesteak) wouldn't be the same without it.

whoah, i'm having a massive deja vu.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote