"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do you have to use white vinegar for making the fridge pickles? I prefer either an Asian (rice) vinegar or a cider one.

I think my ultimate favorite pickle though is the bread and butter one. Along with pickled mushrooms. Can small button mushrooms be done at the same time as the fridge cukes? In the same manner? Would I have to boil the 'shrooms first?

Am I making any sense?
No, you can use any kind of vinegar. I've made Szechuan pickled green beans with rice vinegar and and Mexican pickled red onions with cider vinegar.

I found this recipe for pickled mushrooms that calls for roasting them first and uses red wine vinegar: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...r-tartine.html

I'm sure you could use the method and change up the vinegar and flavorings if you wanted to.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Master Chef

Haven't we discussed this more than once?

I do not have recipe of just brine per se, but here is the whole recipe:

Refrigerator Pickles

Cucumbers
Garlic, 1 whole (if cloves are big you can cut them in the half)
Dill to loosely cover the bottom (divided)
Pickling Salt 2-3 table spoons (depending on your taste, I use about 2.5)
Bay Leaves 3-4
Red hot pepper flakes about a tea spoon or less. Or whole hot peppers, like chili peppers for example, 2-4
Tap Water
If you can get hold of leaves of tart cherry, black currant, or leaves of horseradish, it would be great. Those leaves make pickles stronger/crunchier. You can add any or all of them a handful would be great.

To make sure pickles are crunchy, when they are done, you have to hold the cucumbers in the cold water for few hours prior the processing. The longer-the better, changing the water every hour or 2 hours, if possible. Lately I have been leaving cucumbers in the sink overnight. I do it right in the kitchen sink. Even adding some ice, to make sure water is cold.

I use a 1 gallon jar for pickling and storage. You can divide the recipe into smaller portions, just make sure to keep the ratio of the salt to water, everything else is really arbitrary, it will be fine.

I like small to medium pickling cucumbers. Put half of the dill and garlic, and bay leaves on the bottom. If you have, add above mention leaves. Put 1 or 2 hot peppers, or pepper flakes. Fill the jar with cucumbers. Add garlic. Cover with the rest of the dill, bay leaves, and other leaves.

Dissolve salt (make sure to use pickling salt) in the cold tap water and fill the jar all the way to the top. Tighten the lid pretty tight. Put the jar in a bowl or some other container. For next few days during the fermentation, the water will be sipping thru the top. Make sure to clean that water so you know when the fermentation stops. 3-5 days depending how sour you like them, i.e. in the store you can buy half sour or sour pickles (temperature in the room really makes a difference, the hotter it is the faster is the fermentation). After that you can put them away. I have spare fridge so I keep them in the fridge the whole winter.
As the matter of fact I just opened the last gallon size jar couple of days ago.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I don't have any ideas about this recipe, but I'll be watching this thread to get ideas
Old 02-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehasler View Post
I don't have any ideas about this recipe, but I'll be watching this thread to get ideas
Hi, Dave. Welcome to Discuss Cooking

Since this thread is from last summer, there may not be more posts coming If you're interested in pickling, take a look at this forum: Canning and Preserving - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Under Display Options, change the time period shown to see more threads.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
Master Chef

or try this thread: Quick & Easy Refrigerator Pickles

Tags
dill, pickles