Dill pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not very much vinegar in a 25 gallon barrel. I'm wondering if it is possible to ferment pickles with salt AND some vinegar. I just bought a jar of full sour dill pickles. The liquid is slightly cloudy. The pickles definitely taste fermented, not like vinegar pickles. But, I noticed that there is vinegar in the ingredient list, as well as salt.

In my 25 gal barrel I layer in grape leaves, cukes, dill, spices, garlic....then in a gal container 2/3 cup salt, 3/4 cup vinegar, fill rest of it with water, shake and pour until you cover your cukes. Cover with grape leaves. Now the hard part.....wait 3 weeks.

That's not very much vinegar in a 25 gallon barrel. .

not in her 25 gal. just in the gallon.

not in her 25 gal. just in the gallon.
Unless I misunderstood, that goes in the 1 gallon container and shaken, then gets poured into the 25 gallon container, the one that has the cucumbers in it. Also, diluting 3/4 of a cup of vinegar in an entire gallon of water, isn't very much vinegar.

Corrected! It was I who misunderstood. Thanks taxy.

But now I've been reading other blogs and not sure which style are you doing, Pickle Queen - If you are just brining them, why add the vinegar at all?

Back
Top Bottom