Does asparagus freeze well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have done it every year.. blanching... its a little bit more soggy kinda when you cook it out of the freezer... BUT its still very very good!

I froze it one year and it came out stringy and tough, even after the proper blanching. I love the stuff but resigned myself to pigging out when it's in season.

Debbie....did you freeze the tips or some of the stalk too? Perhaps that was my problem. Guess I'll try it again this year.

We have a small asparagus patch and freeze the stuff all the time. After blanching and chilling in ice water, I take them and lay them in a single layer on a sheet pan and run it in the freezer. When they're froze I pack them in ziplock bags-keeps them from sticking together. As mentioned, they're not as crisp as fresh but are quite good sauteed in a little garlic butter or for a soup.

It is possible to clean and dry them and freeze without blanching...they stay crisper that way, buit you must use them as they will not keep more than 6 months without significant deteriorization

Blanching is actually the reason vegetables keep in the freezer. Blanching retards the enzymes responsible for vegetables composting. Green peppers are the only vegetables that can successfully be frozen without blanching.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom