Dogs and cabbage TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My mom and dad use to love hot dogs and cabbage this took the place of corned beef when money was tight so easy so quicjk and so tasty One head of cabbage cut in 4 or 6 pieces, 4/6 yukon golds and 10 to 12 hot doggs. Put everyine in the pot of hot water bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer til extra hot. good with home made biscuits and honey
enjoy
kades:)

I love stewed cabbage and hot dogs. My great-aunt used to make it all the time.

I think her recipe was basically shred the cabbage, add it to a large pot, add 1 or 2 jars of stewed tomatoes, cover and cook on low till the cabbage is soft. The add the cut up hot dogs at the end to cook through.

I think her recipe was basically shred the cabbage, add it to a large pot, add 1 or 2 jars of stewed tomatoes, cover and cook on low till the cabbage is soft. The add the cut up hot dogs at the end to cook through.
Mom never put tomatoes in so your aunts sounds wonderful will giv it a try thanks.

Cabbage & Weenies are popular at my house. Started eating the concoction as a youngster....Always with corn bread!

UB, corn bread why didn't my mom mke any? I love it and will add this to the next meal of C&B thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still make something simular. I use sour crout and cabage half and hafe. Sautee in frying pan, add a spoon or two ketchup or tomato sauce, throw in hot dogs, as soon as dogs are hot it's good to go. Add a spoon or two mashed potato on the side. YUm.

I like the hot dog and potato part...just hand me the cabbage raw, please!

Same here. But, I don't mind if it just gets heated enough to soften the teensiest little bit - still has a bit of crunch.

I often modify a recipe that cooks cabbage to: shred some cabbage and add it for the last two minutes. I don't even want that nasty cooked cabbage flavour/smell to be left in the broth.

Ha! When you wrote dogs and cabbage, all I could think of is the terrible, acrid farts of my new dog and wondered why anyone would add cabbage to the mix!

Ha! When you wrote dogs and cabbage, all I could think of is the terrible, acrid farts of my new dog and wondered why anyone would add cabbage to the mix!
because you can keep away pests with the smell:LOL:
kades

Same here. But, I don't mind if it just gets heated enough to soften the teensiest little bit - still has a bit of crunch.

I often modify a recipe that cooks cabbage to: shred some cabbage and add it for the last two minutes. I don't even want that nasty cooked cabbage flavour/smell to be left in the broth.
Ah phooey:LOL: the best part is the left over smell:ROFLMAO:
kades

:LOL: when I read this......."dogs and cabbage" my sleepy brain thought, "dogs eat cabbage?"
:blink:

My dogs eat cabbage...we grind their veggies and when the sauerkraut is being made, the outer leaves get tossed in the food processor for the dogs...but then, they eat all the veggies that we grow...

Back
Top Bottom