Don't Put Tomatoes In The Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder how long they stay fresh on the counter. I'll have to give this a try, but I really don't have space for anything else on my kitchen counter.
I don't have a radiator in my kitchen. The central heating boiler is in there but it's pretty chilly when I'm not cooking. Not freezing though. I've just finished eating some cherry tomatoes I bought about 10 days ago and kept on the counter in the kitchen. Tasted wonderful and no deterioration.

Weirdly, I find tomatoes keep fresh longer at room temp than when they are refrigerated

"I really don't have space for anything else on my kitchen counter" Window ledge? Shelf? Drawer?

I don't have a radiator in my kitchen. The central heating boiler is in there but it's pretty chilly when I'm not cooking. Not freezing though. I've just finished eating some cherry tomatoes I bought about 10 days ago and kept on the counter in the kitchen. Tasted wonderful and no deterioration.

Weirdly, I find tomatoes keep fresh longer at room temp than when they are refrigerated

"I really don't have space for anything else on my kitchen counter" Window ledge? Shelf? Drawer?
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't got a shelf or drawer that isn't full. I could probably fit a few on the window sill. I already have scallions in a glass of water on the window sill.

We always store tomato's on the shelf above my work station. In a paper bag if they need to be ripened faster.
They are in the dark and the room temp is usually cool.

I can get at least one week maybe more out of them.

I wonder how long they stay fresh on the counter. I'll have to give this a try, but I really don't have space for anything else on my kitchen counter.

ATK a while back showed the difference of a tomato stored on the counter stem down for so many days, vs. those stored stem up. The difference was remarkable. The tomatoes stored stem down on the counter stayed fresher much longer than those with the stem up. :angel:

ATK a while back showed the difference of a tomato stored on the counter stem down for so many days, vs. those stored stem up. The difference was remarkable. The tomatoes stored stem down on the counter stayed fresher much longer than those with the stem up. :angel:
Good to know.

:angel:

Oh shucks! Now I have to go turn all those cherry tomatoes on my counter stem down!!! See ya in a few days!

I love tomato sandwiches on toast, but I like cold tomatoes with the warm toast. So I have to refrigerate, but I only refrigerate one at a time.

I rotate mine until they get used.

We have had to compromise, tomatoes in the fridge are for Shrek, the ones left on the counter are mine.

Since my Mom forbade me to refrigerate the tomatoes we would bring in from the garden, I've never refrigerated any standard-size tomatoes (Roma and larger). However, I've always put grape or cherry tomatoes from the store into the fridge and there really doesn't seem to be a change in flavor or texture. Does this mean they aren't really from the tomato family? Or have they been hybridized to death? That would kinda freak me out...:ermm:

As a child, we would go into the garden and pick whatever was ripe. Be it string beans, corn, or tomatoes. We never had to go in for lunch. We ate lunch right from the garden. For carrots and other veggies grown in the dirt, there was always the garden hose to wash them first and for a drink anytime we got thirsty. I can still taste those tomatoes. Looking back, we were doing my mother a favor. Less tomatoes for her to fuss with for canning. :angel:

As a child, we would go into the garden and pick whatever was ripe. Be it string beans, corn, or tomatoes. We never had to go in for lunch. We ate lunch right from the garden. For carrots and other veggies grown in the dirt, there was always the garden hose to wash them first and for a drink anytime we got thirsty. I can still taste those tomatoes. Looking back, we were doing my mother a favor. Less tomatoes for her to fuss with for canning. :angel:

I like salt on my tomatoes, so I had to go into the garden with a salt shaker.

Wow, as a kid, the last thing I wanted to eat was vegetables. Today I love most all veggies. But as a kid, I hated them.

That's what I did also, salt shaker in hand. Back then it was safe to use the water from the hose---- at least none of us got sick or died from it.

Radishes----- I would eat them by the dozens---- big ol' honking ones that were hot (the way I like them). Now, the radishes I buy in the markets have had the heat bred out of them! They're so insipid I barely know I'm eating a radish.

That's what I did also, salt shaker in hand. Back then it was safe to use the water from the hose---- at least none of us got sick or died from it.

Radishes----- I would eat them by the dozens---- big ol' honking ones that were hot (the way I like them). Now, the radishes I buy in the markets have had the heat bred out of them! They're so insipid I barely know I'm eating a radish.

Whenever I make a salad, I always include radishes. So many people are surprised by that. They never think of them as a salad additive. Yet I always hear, "Oh I just love radishes!" So why aren't they buying them? Right now I have two large bags of them. I will be tossing a few in the small FP for an addition to cole slaw. :angel:

Whenever I make a salad, I always include radishes. So many people are surprised by that. They never think of them as a salad additive. Yet I always hear, "Oh I just love radishes!" So why aren't they buying them? Right now I have two large bags of them. I will be tossing a few in the small FP for an addition to cole slaw. :angel:
Radishes in cole slaw - good idea.

:innocent:

I've just given it try, not putting the tomatoes in the fridge. They are keeping a lot longer. Next I will buy some tomatoes on the vine and put one in the fridge to compare with the ones that aren't in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom