Don't Put Tomatoes In The Fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone else notice that cherry tomatoes don't go bad as fast as Roma's or other types? (Kept out of fridge, of course).

That consistently happens for me.

Radishes----- I would eat them by the dozens---- big ol' honking ones that were hot (the way I like them). Now, the radishes I buy in the markets have had the heat bred out of them! They're so insipid I barely know I'm eating a radish.

White or red radish? I rarely see the white ones anymore. Seems the white ones were hotter?

It give the slaw a nice unexpected kick. :angel:

That sounds like an excellent idea. I will do this next time I make slaw.

I used to put them in there until I watched Rachel ray and she said not to. I have not since then.

Put them where? In coleslaw?

White or red radish? I rarely see the white ones anymore. Seems the white ones were hotter?

They were mostly red but some were the 'icicle' type white ones but the larger ones were usually hotter, of both types.

I think the hotness has been taken out of radishes now, much to my chagrin, in keeping with the general tendency to 'white bread' a lot of food to match the taste of more people.

I'm not 'white bread'.

They were mostly red but some were the 'icicle' type white ones but the larger ones were usually hotter, of both types.

I think the hotness has been taken out of radishes now, much to my chagrin, in keeping with the general tendency to 'white bread' a lot of food to match the taste of more people.

I'm not 'white bread'.
Me neither. Imagine my shock when I bought chillies here in the 'burbs. They had no heat! The jalapenos had no heat, the long ones had no heat, and the Scotch bonnets were very mild. :glare:

I found out that I have to buy hot peppers at the ethnic stores or at Mourelatos, my sorta ethnic (several flavours) Greek supermarket.

That's what I did also, salt shaker in hand. Back then it was safe to use the water from the hose---- at least none of us got sick or died from it.

Radishes----- I would eat them by the dozens---- big ol' honking ones that were hot (the way I like them). Now, the radishes I buy in the markets have had the heat bred out of them! They're so insipid I barely know I'm eating a radish.
They are dead easy to grow at home - even I can't kill them. "French Breakfast" are a good variety to try and they can be grown in pots if you don't have garden space.

I'm not 'white bread'.
Good white bread is worth eating. Try some from what is now called an "artisan" baker.

Good white bread is worth eating. Try some from what is now called an "artisan" baker.

I was talking about the white bread that's called Balloon Bread. :) But that's the ONLY kind I like for a bologna sandwich with yellow mustard a la my childhood.

But speaking of bread as a fine food---- nothing beats Boudin's sourdough in San Francisco!

San Francisco Sourdough Rounds (2) #840 – Boudin Bakery Online Store

We used to have some shipped to us after we moved away------ but it's too expensive now. (Or maybe........hmmmm? Birthday present wish list?)

p.s.---- bound to have some dissenters about this. LOL

Last edited:
Does anyone else notice that cherry tomatoes don't go bad as fast as Roma's or other types? (Kept out of fridge, of course).

That consistently happens for me.

Yes, same with grape tomatoes. They do last longer. :yum:

Roll Bones, I think Sophia meant that she doesn't put tomatoes in the fridge, not that she doesn't put radishes in cole slaw....:) I was a little confused at first, too. But I could be wrong. lol

Yes, same with grape tomatoes. They do last longer. :yum:

My homegrown cherry toms last for months when picked green, and continue to ripen. I roasted my last ones the end of February. The red ones also can last a month or so.

I can buy a package of grape tomatoes on Tuesday and use the last of them on Friday, storing them in the file cabinet at work...makes them inexpensive salad additions for my lunches.

Back
Top Bottom