Dressing up a baked potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a baked potato is like a blank slate. you can go from minimalist (salt & pepper), to hog wild elaborate, building an entire meal atop your spud. my last baked potato was heaped with garlicky, buttery bella mushrooms. (that was yesterday):) i also like them with hummus and scallions. but the possibilities are endless, really....

At one of our tourist traps, Fanuiel Hall, there is a seller there that sells only baked potatoes with trimmings of your choice. I always stop there when I am in town. And I hate baked potatoes that have been wrapped in foil. That makes the potato steamed, not baked. This guy knows that and bakes sans foil. Nice crispy skin that has been oiled and pierced with a fork. He uses a Granny fork that has three times. I have two of those forks and love them.:chef:

I sometimes enjoy more toppings on my baked potato (like the Loaded Baked Potato at O'Charley's), but my favorite baked potato is a Russet--scrubbed, pierced, and baked (not wrapped in foil) until the skin is slightly tough and the inside is buttery smooth, and topped with a generous amount of sour cream, chives (or the green part of a green onion), a dash of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper. :yum:

since it would take me forever to eat a bag of potatoes, i buy the single ones wrapped in heavy plastic. microwave them in wrapping. real butter, sour cream, chives and bacon bits. once in a while sprinkled with cheddar. a meal in it's self.

I sometimes enjoy more toppings on my baked potato (like the Loaded Baked Potato at O'Charley's), but my favorite baked potato is a Russet--scrubbed, pierced, and baked (not wrapped in foil) until the skin is slightly tough and the inside is buttery smooth, and topped with a generous amount of sour cream, chives (or the green part of a green onion), a dash of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper. :yum:

I love the taste of baked potato, butter and sour cream so much that I'm almost up to equal parts of sour cream to potato.

I love the taste of baked potato, butter and sour cream so much that I'm almost up to equal parts of sour cream to potato.
Me too! I have joked on here that unlike the Daisy Sour Cream commercial, where they say, "Do a dollop of Daisy," I do a wallop! :LOL:

Me too! I have joked on here that unlike the Daisy Sour Cream commercial, where they say, "Do a dollop of Daisy," I do a wallop! :LOL:
Potato, butter, sour cream and pepper make a fantastic flavor combination. I can make a meal of that alone. I also love to mix in some hot sausage crumbles. Maybe even add some broccoli and cheddar to it and make a meal of it all.

my wife introduced me to the technique of baking potatoes on the bottom of the oven. actually on the floor of the oven, just opposite the broiler burners. i think her mom used to do that many years ago when they had a wood stove.

this makes a nice crispy skin, even a bit of a charred spot or two.

my first choice would be to split open and add sour cream mixed with fresh garlic chives.

another fave is to simply slice into chunks so each piece has a bit of skin, and then sprinkle with seasoned salt.

finally, i like what i call a "french dipped" baked spud. that is to split open and smear with butter, sprinkle with a lot of black pepper, then drizzle in some hot beef stock and drippings, or au jus, mashing it into the flesh.

:pig:

Bake a large spud, split in half, scoop out and quickly fork mash with dill, pickled herring chunks, put back in the skin and blob with sour cream and chives:yum:

Rather than posting my own recipes I'd rather refer everybody to the website that I got my original inspiration from:

Twice Cooked Potatoes on Simply Recipes

Also see Emeril Lagasse's recipe as presented on ABC's Good Morning America, recipe for:

Twice Baked Potato Casserole

And finally, get Joy of Cooking (cookbook) by Rombauer and Becker, and look up their Cheddar Stuffed Potatoes. (no link, it's a cookbook)

Anybody who doesn't own Joy of Cooking should buy themselves a copy for Christmas. :) It's a classic, a reference people like us used before there was any Internet. :chef:

Last edited:
I don't care for twice baked potatoes. I prefer my potato freshly wrapped in foil and baked in the oven until fork tender. A couple dabs of butter with sea salt and pepper. Yum!!!

I know a nail in a potato makes it cook faster. I shove in one or two long meat skewers and then set it on a square brownie pan . I put a bit of foil down on it for any moisture drippings , easy cleanup. The meat skewers aren't thick enough tho.

I like how the skewers have a round end handle to yank them outta the potato afterwards.

I'd like to insert something thicker, something like knitting needle or big nail sized (with a yank out handle) to conduct the heat to the potato. Knitting needles are coated in plastic I believe. Something that size and length I would gladly order on the net, if I could find it.

I might have to shop stainless steel construction items.

Last edited:
I know a nail in a potato makes it cook faster. I shove in one or two long meat skewers and then set it on a square brownie pan . I put a bit of foil down on it for any moisture drippings , easy cleanup. The meat skewers aren't thick enough tho.

I like how the skewers have a round end handle to yank them outta the potato afterwards.

I'd like to insert something thicker, something like knitting needle or big nail sized (with a yank out handle) to conduct the heat to the potato. Knitting needles are coated in plastic I believe. Something that size and length I would gladly order on the net, if I could find it.

Try starting your potatoes in the micro and finish it in the oven to crisp up the skin. Works for me. :chef:

KitchenCraft Baking Rack Oven potato baking spike bake spuds evenly and efficiently 4 folds flat storage Kitchen

potato_baker_spike.jpg

I found it by googling "potato baking rack".

Try starting your potatoes in the micro and finish it in the oven to crisp up the skin. Works for me. :chef:

I do the same thing. I poke the potato with a fork several times so that the steam generated by the microwave heating has a way to escape.

Microwave pre-heating avoids the initial stage where the oven is warm but the potato is cold, by bringing the potato up to nearer the oven temperature. I try to do most of the cooking after it's in the oven.

Last edited:
We had a potato bar lunch at work. The colleague in charge of baking the spuds smeared the skins with butter before baking, and the jackets came out nice and crispy.

We had a potato bar lunch at work. The colleague in charge of baking the spuds smeared the skins with butter before baking, and the jackets came out nice and crispy.

I do that sometines and then sprinkle the skins heavily with salt before I put them in the oven. The salt sticks to the skin and it becomes the best part of the potato.

Back
Top Bottom