"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Cook

Easy and tasty portabello sandwich (vegan!)

The girlfriend wanted a salad for dinner, but I craved something heartier to go along with it, so I came up with this and found it really tasty. I used Ezekiel sprouted whole grain bread (the kind that tastes horrible unless you toast it!) but any hearty bread should do, and I bet pita would be good as well. So besides the bread you need...

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
dry vermouth to taste
black pepper
large portabello mushroom, sliced in long strips
1/2 red pepper, sliced
hummus to taste

Saute the mushrooms and garlic in the olive oil, gradually adding the vermouth, then the peppers, while seasoning with the black pepper. Reduce heat and set aside. Toast the bread (optional, depends on the kind of sandwich you want) and spread the hummous on it. Arrange the mushroom and red peppers on the bread and you're good to go.

Idea: I bet this would be good with kalamata olives. If I'd had any I'd have included them.

If you try this one, please let me know. Feedback is welcome as this was just a spontaneous thing I did last night that turned out pretty well.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Master Chef

TLP, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby they have a great sprouted multi- grain salt free bread. I am sure that you and your girlfriend would like it, toasted or not.

SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to DC. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Sounds like a nice summer sammich. I might combine these two and use the garlic & some roasted red peppers. If you like hummus & shrooms, here's another idea.

Grilled Portobello Mushroom with Hummus and Feta Cheese
Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy*
I might combine these two and use the garlic & some roasted red peppers.
I was going to mention that as well!

TLP, kalamatas sound really good for that. Have you thought about adding a little thyme and rosemary while you saute the mushrooms and garlic?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Have you thought about adding a little thyme and rosemary while you saute the mushrooms and garlic?
I like the sound of that, Allen. How about sauteeing some chopped onions with the shrooms, garlic & herbs - or using shallots & bleu cheese in place of feta?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
TLP, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby they have a great sprouted multi- grain salt free bread. I am sure that you and your girlfriend would like it, toasted or not.

SC
Ezekiel? Yup, that's pretty much all we buy. I really don't like it at all "raw", but I love it toasted. Go figure...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Cook

In a similar vein... I needed to make us a little dinner in a hurry before we went out to do some stuff tonight, and I came up with something pretty good: avocado, arugula, those fire-roasted red and yellow peppers (the pickled kind in a jar, from Trader Joe's), capers, and hummus, on toasted sprouted grain bread.

We both really liked it; I think with the right soup pairing (green lentil perhaps?) it would be a nice meal.

Tags
None