"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 04-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Head Chef
I've included links to pictures of what bok choy and pea sprouts look like. If you look at the bok choy link, you'll notice that several of them look like the stalk is greener than others. This is because it's Shanghai cabbage (I think it's also known as green cabbage). Though similar in texture, I thnk they both taste different, I prefer Shanghai cabbage. Hope this helps and the links work.

pea sprouts:

bok choy

htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Snow and snap peas are both in the pod. What you see in the stir-fries are snow peas. They are skinnier. Snap peas are thicker and with more of a 'traditional' pea flavor.

Ask GB on the flavor of Bok Choy, I love it! But I can't compare the texture or flavor to a western veggie.

Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I like celery and carrots
and brocolii
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer
I am not sure I can describe the flavor either. Like PolishedTopaz mentioned, it is unlike any Western veggie that I know of. The stalks are my favorite part. They have a great crunch to them. The leaves are tender and tasty too. Bok Choy is great in stir frys and excellent in soups. If you have ever had a green leafy veggie in your Chinese food, chances are it was Bok Choy.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
Head Chef
Taking the zucchini route, how about stuffing and baking them.

Take some larger zucchinis and scoop out the pulp.

Saute the pulp and diced onions. Add some diced green and red bell peppers, and personally would toss in some hot peppers such as jalapenos, anaheims, or just hot pepper flakes.

When the mixture it is getting tender, would add a small amount of tomato sauce, paste, or spaghetti sauce and a couple of tablespoons of bread crumbs (if your diet permits).

Stuff the zucchini with the mixture, top with sliced parsley, and bake until done (time depends upon the size of the zuchs, 375 degrees for 45 minutes or so seems about right).

Just an idea. Am winging it here a bit because I make a baked stuffed zucchini which has a lot more stuff, including Parmesan. And I usually only stuff ones that are at least eight inches in length, which are generally hard to find if you do not grow them.

Hope this helps and good luck with the diet.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Head Chef
The peas in the pod are sugar snap peas. They add crunch to stir fry's and have some but not a whole lot of nutrition. If you want nutrition add greens as others suggested. I would look at throwing in baby spinach, carrots, moong bean sprouts and bell peppers to the stir fry's.

Bok Choy in simple terms is a chinese cabbage. While cabbage is high in water content I question the amount of nutrition in it. I do add it to my stir frys because it gives the stir fry more texture.

If you are on a low sodium diet remember to add flavor with lots of garlic, finely chopped chillies (if you can stand the heat) and throw in some green onions for crunch.

There are lots of other ways to cook veggies in a low fat way so don't just get hung up on stir fry's. There are many many unique ways to introduce more beans and veggies in your diet.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 AM   #17
Senior Cook
What about swiss chard, collard greens, brussel sprouts, beet greens, spinach, kohl rabi, carrots, or eggplant?
Lizannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef
I love bok coy in stir fry.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
Head Chef
thanks for all the great replies
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Help me Eat More Veggies!
Okay - eat more veggies or you'll die!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote