Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Here is one I am going to try for sure? Eggplant is favorite around here no mat ter how small the kitchen they always ask when will they have it again?I feel fortunate to have the Food Network emailing me some of their recipes. I always scour recipes looking for different one that uses eggplant. Do you notice that cocoa is included in the makeup? When recipe calls for cocoa I always feel quite sure it will be good. Hope you will enjoy this as much as we do.

Eggplant Caponata Recipe courtesy Mario Batali

edited to provide link

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ITK,
I've made caponata and we love it...We like to use it as an antipasto with grilled or just toasted sliced baguettes brushed with evoo and garlic..I like it best at room temp. Enjoy, it's yummy

kadesma:)

YUM! ITK, the cocoa jumped out at me as well. Haven't tried it in eggplant. Looks wonderful. Copied and saved. Thank you.

That sounds exactly my sort of recipe!
I have never used cocoa or chocolate in a savoury recipe, though I know it's used in S American recipes. What does it add to a dish, would you say? Cocoa is quite bitter isn't it?

Easy eggplant which keeps all the flavor in it.
Nuke it for 2 minutes until half done. Then put it in a pot with some oil in it. Put lid on and cook on low for another 15 minutes. Don't add salt until the end otherwise you draw water out

g

Cocoa as well as coffee impart a whole new dimension of flavor in dishes. Try it when preparing steak/beef/roasts etc. I love the recipe, ITK. Thanks again for sharing it here with us.

Kadesma, so glad you served the dish at room temp, I recall the conversation & all the great input. Thats what I love about this forum. :chef:

I guess I will have to try the recipe to discover for myself this famous cocoa dimension!!:chef:

A quick way with aubergine/eggplant:

Halve lengthways, cut two deep slits along length of flesh but not through to skin, on each half, place cut-side down on well-oiled baking sheet and bake in very hot oven - say 220C - for about 15 mins. Goes meltingly tender and is nice just topped with some goats cheese melted over or with roasted veg.

-caro-

Your eggplant recipe is good because baking concentrates the flavor. You can also cut eggplant in half and let sit for a day or two.Moisture will leave and will concentrate the flavor when cooked (baked) your way

I like the skin and eat that too. Soy sauce goes great with eggplant

g

That's an interesting thought, glazzguy. Doesn't the cut half go very brown though?
I suppose it wouldn't really matter since they can go quite brown when cooked.

I really don't see the need to add lots of oil to a vegetable that is already quite unctious in texture, providing it is cooked right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom