"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Rattattoule (spelling, sorry)....sooooo good: soften a spanish onion in olive oil; add, eggplant, cubed, zucchini-thick slices-green pepper-can of tomatoes.....bring to boil, let simmer for a long while, add parmesan cheese if desired, and lots of salt and pepper......can be eaten hot or cold or room temp. Better the next day and on and on for a few days!

Old 12-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l
eggplant is one of my favorties. I like to roast it in olive oil then fill with proscuitto (is that how it is spelled?) ricotta cheese, fresh basil and roll. Cover with tomato sauce. Even better to add a little cream to the tomato sauce! And bake. Eggplant is something that grows very well in my garden and have tried all sorts of recipes to enjoy it. My fav will always be fried and dipped in sauce or mayo based dressing with the topped sprinkled with freshly grated cheese.
mmm sounds great!

Do you slice it lengthwise, then roast, stuff and roll, Elaine?

Lee

Old 12-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
mmm sounds great!

Do you slice it lengthwise, then roast, stuff and roll, Elaine?

Lee
Yes, Lee I should have mentioned that!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Sous Chef

All great recipes given. Here is mine: I usually take all veggies I have...onions,celery,peppers, potato,green beans,zucchini,
carrots,eggplant and place them on a baking sheet. Cube some, slice others depending on the veggie. Mix and place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle EVOO over the veggies. Sprinkle some of your favorite herbs. Bake 400-450 degree oven stir once and let cook until done. You may prefer yours well done others may prefer "crunchy".
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Stir fried w/ chile and basil sauce. YOu could use onions, garlic, and ginger and maybe some peppers as well in the stir fry. If that's too hot, just try it w/ black bean sauce.

Grandma made it breaded w/ flour and egg. I think the key is learning how long too cook it, too long and it will be better and not long enough and it's too stringy or something.

I think using egg is important because it can really bring out the egg flavor out of the eggplant. ANother poster above, mentioned using egg on top and there is probably something to that. I know sometimes you taste the eggplant and dont think too much of it then you bite into something else and you think "wow' this eggplant really has a neat taste.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I always "sweat" eggplant before cooking..(frying)
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Eggplants are one of my favourite vegetables!! Aside from Melanzane alla parmigiana (eggplant parmesan), caponata is another one of my favourites. Also I like to sautè them with some shredded shallots and smoked pancetta, also making "crema di melanzane" (roast the eggplant with some garlic cloves, skin the veg, put it in a blender with evoo, a bit of spice of your choice... I like to use some pinches of coriander, cardamom, and a tiny dash of cayenne)... which makes a wonderful pasta sauce or topping for crostini.

One thing I haven't tried yet but I would like to some time soon is the Indian style battered, fried eggplants, which is coated with chickpea flour. Sounds particularly enchanting!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I just fry mine or make a parmesaen.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

They make excellent "french fries" .....when cut that way
Old 12-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Long /narrow Eggplant treat: leaving skins on, cutoff ends of the egglant, then cut each lengthwise; put on bbque grill; baste w/olive oil; grill till done; salt and pepper to taste; enjoy

Large eggplant; Black beauties: peel skins, cut away ends, then slice into 3/4" disks; put in egg wash; coat w/cracker meal; fry in vegetable oil in heavy iron skillet till golden brown; remove to paper towel lined platter; salt and pepper to taste; enjoy

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None