Eggplant...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't had eggplant in some time. The recipes above I want to try. Buy eggplant. I like to follow appletart's recipe and then make eggplant parm, Andy's favorite. Or I should say ONE of Andy's favorites.

I use it in place of lasagna noodles in lasagna. Slice the eggplant, lengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick. Brown on both sides in olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Layer with lasagna ingredients as done normally. Really, really good.

I have prepared eggplant in too many ways, and I still absolutely abhore it! I am glad there are some people out there who really enjoy it!

All of my cooking was done in an italian cooking course, and the best of all of them was something like.

1 whole eggplant, cut in patties.
Lots of Italian Bread Crumbs
Olive Oil
Salt
Parmesan (garnish)

Cut the eggplant and salt it, let it sit at room temperature for 20 mins.
Sautee in warm skillet until brown
Cover in breadcrumbs
Bake at 350 until done.
Sprinkle with a little bit of parmesan.

This is one of my favorite ways of making eggplant (apart from the usual Italian versions), & I make it frequently when I have eggplants ripening in the garden. To make this a purely vegetarian dish, just omit the meat, which is more of a flavoring agent than an major ingredient.

Braised Eggplant, Szechuan Style

(Adapted from Madame Chu’s Chinese Cooking School by Grace Zia Chu

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant, or several small oriental-type eggplants
2 tablespoons of fermented black beans, soaked in warm water to cover for 20 minutes
1 tablespoon hot Asian chili paste/sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4-1/2 pound ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, or turkey)
Vegetable oil
Water
Wok or large skillet with a cover
White, brown, or Jasmine rice for serving

Preparation:

Slice eggplant, unpeeled, into approximately 1-1/2” thick slices, then cut the slices into quarters. Make 2 cuts not quite all the way through on each quarter. This will allow the eggplant pieces to cook quickly & evenly, as well as help them to absorb more of the sauce.

Drain the soaked fermented black beans & mash with the minced garlic to a rough paste. Add the chili paste, sugar, soy sauce, & ¼ cup cold water. Stir.

Cooking Procedure:

Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a wok or large skillet until hot, but not smoking. Add ground meat & stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add minced ginger & continue stir frying for another minute. Add eggplant pieces & continue stir frying for another 5 minutes. Add in the sauce mixture & stir thoroughly until well mixed. Sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons of water over all, turn the heat down to low/medium low, cover, & allow to cook for another 5 minutes or until the eggplant pieces are tender to your preference. Serve hot over rice.

Fermented Beans

BreezyCooking where do you get fermented black beans? Are they called fermented when you soak them?

thanks.

so thankful to get all recipes for eggplant

I don't know where you're located "In The Kitchen", but "fermented black beans" are available at any Asian market as well as online.

They're salted fermented black beans, & are purchased in plastic bags/packets. They are very well preserved & virtually last forever. Once I open a bag, I just stuff the remainder into a glass jar & stick it in the pantry. Never goes bad.

If you don't have fermented black beans, you can just substitute hot black bean sauce or black bean sauce + hot garlic chili paste - all of which are available in supermarkets these days.

BreezyCooking

This sounds like something they all would like. I do know of some Asian markets in town but really never go in unless I specifically know they have something I need. This is recipe that I will have to get exact ingredients for no substitutes. Seems like it really appeals to you so it must be good. I thank you for sharing and telling me where to find the beans. Hope it turns out like your does. Which kind of meat you like, pork or beef? Doesn't really need a large amount.

Butter Herbed Broiled Eggplant

Happy New Year, folks! Can't recall if I posted this before, if I did, please forgive me.

2 small eggplants, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
salt

Basil-Butter as follows:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic juice (you can find it on the spice aisle)
1 to 1-1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 drops Tabasco sauce (or hot sauce of choice)

Cream together the butter with the basil, garlic juice and Tabasco. Set aside. (keep chilled)

Sprinkle waxed paper with salt and place the sliced eggplant on the waxed paper. Sprinkle the tops of the eggplant slices with salt. (salt draws out the excess moisture). Let stand for 1 hour then rinse the sliced eggplant under cool water to remove excess salt.

Lightly grease (or butter!) a baking sheet. Butter each side of the sliced eggplant with the basil butter. Broil about 5 inches from the heat, 3-4 minutes. Turn the slices over and broil another 3-5 minutes or until nicely browned.

Fraidy

Great recipe Fraidy!!! I just copied and pasted it!! I will definitely be trying this before the week is out...

Thanks for posting!!!!!

In The Kitchen - in my Szechuan recipe I nearly always use ground turkey, since my husband doesn't eat red meat, LOVES ground turkey, & so I ALWAYS have ground turkey in the freezer. The ground turkey I purchase normally comes in 1-1/3# packages, so when I'm making a recipe calling for a pound of ground meat, I'll scoop off about 1/4# or so & freeze it specifically for using in stirfry recipes like this one.

To be honest, once all is said & done, I don't even notice the difference between the ground turkey & say, ground pork. Neither does anyone else. I think that the seasoning is the thing, & to just use whatever type of ground meat you have on hand or personally like the most.

Back
Top Bottom