Eggplant...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
I love fried eggplant.. with batter...with just meal...with just flour...
I've used it in some other dishes..but my repertoire is limited...
How do you prepare eggplant??

There are many ways to prepare eggplant. Here are a few favorites of mine:

1. Melizanosalata. It is a spread made out of eggplants that are grilled first, then peeled, mashed and mixed with olive oil, garlic and other ingredients.
2. Deep fried eggplant with chilli sauce topped with egg.
3. Pickled eggplant with garlic and celery in vinegrette

Since I am in Greece, let's not forget the Greek classic dish, Mousakas. Finally for what might sound as a real novelty to you (but not so here), how about baby eggplant stuffed with almonds and preserved in heavy syrup?

Uncle Bob,
don't know how you feel about ground beef but my family likes this..I brown some ground beef with onion and garlic in a little evoo crumbling the meat. I add a can of undrained tomatoes, a little beef broth,some tomatoe paste, s pinch or two of sugar, oregano,basil,salt and pepper and simmer about 1/2 hour..I take an eggplant and slice it into rounds, then dip it into a mix of egg and water, then into dry bread crumbs. Fry the eggplant and drain it, layer the eggplant in a casserrole with some parmesan cheese, some mozzarella and the ground beef mixture just make a layer of each thing I end up with some extra bread crumbs mixed with the cheeses on top, bake at 325 about 40 min..Serve with a green salad and lots of french bread...
kadesma;)

This is my recipe for moussaka. I promise it is absolutely delicious. It can be frozen before cooking.
I also love eggplant.
And eggplant "sandwich" is to slice eggplant into 1/2" slices. Dip in a mixture of mayo, herbs and crumbled feta cheese and then into fine fresh bread crumbs. Put on an oiled pan and bake at 350* for 12 minutes per side.
Put top with a thick slice of tomato, slice of cheese and strips of bacon. run under the broiler to heat and melt the cheese.
Peasant caviar--eggplant, garlic, onions, raisins.

MOUSSAKA

*3 medium eggplant
*3onions, chopped
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*2lbs. ground lamb
*3TBS tomato paste
*1/2C red wine
*1C bread crumbs
*1C Parmesan
*1/2C parsley
*salt and pepper to taste
*1/4Tsp cinnamon

Topping
*8TBS butter
*6TBS flour
*4 eggs beaten well
*1Qt. milk
*2C ricotta cheese
*1/4tsp nutmeg

Peel and slice eggplant in 1/2” slices. Place on oiled aluminum foil and bake at 350* for 15 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. Brown the lamb and drain fat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are done but not brown. Add wine, tomato paste, cinnamon, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring frequently until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Heat milk to simmering Prepare topping by melting butter, add flour and whisk, mixing well. Add hot milk stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Remove from heat, cool slightly and stir in beaten egg, nutmeg and ricotta.
Heat oven to 375*. Grease a 9X13 casserole dish or a foil lasagna pan. Sprinkle bottom with some of the bread crumbs. Arrange alternate layers of eggplant and meat mixture,sprinkling each layer with bread crumbs and gratted Parmesan. Top with the cheese custard. Bake 1 hour or until top is puffy and golden brown. Cool 20-30 minutes before
serving.
This can be frozen unbaked. The eggplant slices can be browned in butter or oil if desired.
The amount of milk/topping called for seems a lot but it is what is needed. The foil pan is deeper than most 9X13 pans and is better for this.

VEGETARIAN VARIATION
I prepared it the very same way but for the meat substituted reconstituted dried shitake mushrooms, chopped coarsely. Not 2#, but probably 2C chopped. Browned them and then continued as above.

Melizanosalata. It is a spread made out of eggplants that are grilled first, then peeled, mashed and mixed with olive oil, garlic and other ingredients.

Hey boufa06....This sounds great! What are the other ingredients???

I can already see....I'll being buying eggplant tomorrow or Friday for sure

Ingredients for melizanosalata - grilled eggplant, fresh garlic paste, chopped parsley, lemon juice, EVOO, salt and pepper. Peel and mash eggplant and mix all other ingredients together. Served either with pita bread or baguette.

Kali orexi!

Lest we Forget

...the fun to say and delicious to eat Baba Ganoush.

Baba Ganoush is a paste made of roast or grilled eggplant and tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds. Traditionally, the eggplant is first roasted in an oven for approximately 45 minutes. The softened flesh is scooped out, squeezed to remove excess water, and is then pureed with the tahini. There are many variants of the recipe, especially the seasoning. Possible seasonings include garlic, lemon juice, ground cumin, salt, mint, and parsley. When served on a plate or bowl, it is traditional to drizzle the top with olive oil.

This is a healthy snack that can be eaten in a variety of ways, including as a dip with whole wheat bread or crackers, spread on pita, or added to other dishes. It is usually of an earthy light brown color.

eggplant is one of my favorties. I like to roast it in olive oil then fill with proscuitto (is that how it is spelled?) ricotta cheese, fresh basil and roll. Cover with tomato sauce. Even better to add a little cream to the tomato sauce! And bake. Eggplant is something that grows very well in my garden and have tried all sorts of recipes to enjoy it. My fav will always be fried and dipped in sauce or mayo based dressing with the topped sprinkled with freshly grated cheese.

I like it roasted, also the barefoot contessa has a good dip that's made of roasted eggplant, red bell peppers and onions, tomato paste, olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast all vegetables together and pulse in food processor with other ingredients. Serve with pita chips.

Rattattoule (spelling, sorry)....sooooo good: soften a spanish onion in olive oil; add, eggplant, cubed, zucchini-thick slices-green pepper-can of tomatoes.....bring to boil, let simmer for a long while, add parmesan cheese if desired, and lots of salt and pepper......can be eaten hot or cold or room temp. Better the next day and on and on for a few days!

elaine l said:
eggplant is one of my favorties. I like to roast it in olive oil then fill with proscuitto (is that how it is spelled?) ricotta cheese, fresh basil and roll. Cover with tomato sauce. Even better to add a little cream to the tomato sauce! And bake. Eggplant is something that grows very well in my garden and have tried all sorts of recipes to enjoy it. My fav will always be fried and dipped in sauce or mayo based dressing with the topped sprinkled with freshly grated cheese.

mmm sounds great!

Do you slice it lengthwise, then roast, stuff and roll, Elaine?

Lee

All great recipes given. Here is mine: I usually take all veggies I have...onions,celery,peppers, potato,green beans,zucchini,
carrots,eggplant and place them on a baking sheet. Cube some, slice others depending on the veggie. Mix and place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle EVOO over the veggies. Sprinkle some of your favorite herbs. Bake 400-450 degree oven stir once and let cook until done. You may prefer yours well done others may prefer "crunchy".

Stir fried w/ chile and basil sauce. YOu could use onions, garlic, and ginger and maybe some peppers as well in the stir fry. If that's too hot, just try it w/ black bean sauce.

Grandma made it breaded w/ flour and egg. I think the key is learning how long too cook it, too long and it will be better and not long enough and it's too stringy or something.

I think using egg is important because it can really bring out the egg flavor out of the eggplant. ANother poster above, mentioned using egg on top and there is probably something to that. I know sometimes you taste the eggplant and dont think too much of it then you bite into something else and you think "wow' this eggplant really has a neat taste.

Eggplants are one of my favourite vegetables!! Aside from Melanzane alla parmigiana (eggplant parmesan), caponata is another one of my favourites. Also I like to sautè them with some shredded shallots and smoked pancetta, also making "crema di melanzane" (roast the eggplant with some garlic cloves, skin the veg, put it in a blender with evoo, a bit of spice of your choice... I like to use some pinches of coriander, cardamom, and a tiny dash of cayenne)... which makes a wonderful pasta sauce or topping for crostini.

One thing I haven't tried yet but I would like to some time soon is the Indian style battered, fried eggplants, which is coated with chickpea flour. Sounds particularly enchanting!

Long /narrow Eggplant treat: leaving skins on, cutoff ends of the egglant, then cut each lengthwise; put on bbque grill; baste w/olive oil; grill till done; salt and pepper to taste; enjoy

Large eggplant; Black beauties: peel skins, cut away ends, then slice into 3/4" disks; put in egg wash; coat w/cracker meal; fry in vegetable oil in heavy iron skillet till golden brown; remove to paper towel lined platter; salt and pepper to taste; enjoy

Back
Top Bottom