Eggplant & how to prepare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An Asian dish I like, is stir-fried eggplant and tofu. I have had it at Chinese restaurants, but not made it myself.

All of these eggplant dishes sound delicious!

I particularly like some Thai dishes I've had at restaurants using the much smaller Thai eggplants, about 1-2 inches long. I've tried them a few times in my own cooking but can't clearly remember the recipes or results, but I want to try them again soon.

Getting back to the common eggplants, I've heard a lot about salting them before cooking then draining them? And then cooking... Anybody know about the merits of this?

All of these eggplant dishes sound delicious!

I particularly like some Thai dishes I've had at restaurants using the much smaller Thai eggplants, about 1-2 inches long. I've tried them a few times in my own cooking but can't clearly remember the recipes or results, but I want to try them again soon.

Getting back to the common eggplants, I've heard a lot about salting them before cooking then draining them? And then cooking... Anybody know about the merits of this?

I always lightly salt the slices and then press them. You will surprised how much of the liquid comes out of them. I learned that trick from all the old Nonis' I watched as a child.

My favorite is an Eggplant sub. It is basically eggplant Parm in a crusty Italian long roll.

I have to remove the skins from the eggplant. Can't digest veggie skins. After salting and pressing, I dredge in seasoned flour, dip in seasoned egg, fresh bread crumbs, and saute' in olive oil. Lay down a light layer of gravy, one layer of eggplant, Mozzarella cheese, repeat. Top with Mozzarella cheese and a generous helping of Romano or Parm cheese. Bake at 350°F. until bubbly.

My daughter and I both have to buy two eggplants. Because one is for picking while we are cooking, and one is for the Parm dish.

I always lightly salt the slices and then press them. You will surprised how much of the liquid comes out of them. I learned that trick from all the old Nonis' I watched as a child.
I forgot where I learned that, maybe Joy of Cooking (that was way before the Internet when JoC was my best cookbook...) It's been some years since the last time I cooked eggplant. I hope to try some of the recipes posted here soon.

I have to remove the skins from the eggplant. Can't digest veggie skins.
OMG the skins are my favorite part, of eggplant, of most vegetables! Not only is it tasty but many/most of the vitamins are there.

I forgot where I learned that, maybe Joy of Cooking (that was way before the Internet when JoC was my best cookbook...) It's been some years since the last time I cooked eggplant. I hope to try some of the recipes posted here soon.

OMG the skins are my favorite part, of eggplant, of most vegetables! Not only is it tasty but many/most of the vitamins are there.

I know. But I remove the skin from cukes as well. Corn, peas, any veggie that has any skin on it tears up my digestive system. That came about from having half my stomach removed. I no longer produce the right scids to break them down.

Greg, I have a wide strainer and I put the eggplant in that to remove the liquid. Yo can use a colander that has a lot of holes. You don't want the eggplant sitting in the drained liquid. It defeats the purpose. :yum:

I know. But I remove the skin from cukes as well. Corn, peas, any veggie that has any skin on it tears up my digestive system. That came about from having half my stomach removed. I no longer produce the right scids to break them down.
Sorry... Actually with cucumbers I often quarter them and then scoop out the inside and discard it, then use the rest for making sushi. Particularly the skins. You slice the skins into really thin slivers. They provide the crunch in many kinds of sushi rolls.

Greg, I have a wide strainer and I put the eggplant in that to remove the liquid. Yo can use a colander that has a lot of holes. You don't want the eggplant sitting in the drained liquid. It defeats the purpose. :yum:
No, I understand that. It's just that my recollections are dim since a few years ago the last time I cooked eggplant.

This is a great recipe - tastes like fried, but it's not - it's done in the oven and gets nice and crispy. I reduce the Parmigiano Reggiano and increase the breadcrumbs, since I found it too salty as written. I also add some herbs to the breadcrumbs, and use a mixture of cheeses in the topping:
FAUX FRIED EGGPLANT
Faux Fried Eggplant Aubergine) Recipe - Food.com - 59115

Last edited:
I've been wanting to try this recipe for a long time now:
EGGPLANT AND GOAT-CHEESE SANDWICHES WITH TOMATO TARRAGON SAUCE
[FONT=&quot]http://whatdidyoueat.typepad.com/what_did_you_eat/2007/07/whb-eggplant-an.html
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I hated melanzane for a long time, because I never managed to prepare them properly, so I gave it up.
Then I chatted with my greengrocer's mother, and she sold me some spheric eggplant, not the long-shaped ones. She just cut them in slices, then put them in beaten egg, pass them in breadcrumbs, repeat the egg/breadcrumb procedure, then fry them in vegetable oil (not olive) and that's all. And I was good enough to produce a tasty dish of melanzane impanate! :yum:
Nothing fancy, but quite good for me

To All The Posters On Aubergine,

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I have enjoyed each and every post on this thread.

Eggplant ( Melanzane or Aubergine ) is my fave veggie ... so the new recipes, the ideas and all your assistance and comments are greatly appreciated.

*** Princess Fiona: I have never freezed a fresh whole eggplant. I would cook first and then when room temperature, you can freeze !

Sorry, I am in editorial deadline until Thursday ... so please do excuse me ...

Kindest.
Margi.

My all time favorite eggplant dish:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Malagnone a la Sicilian[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 medium sized eggplants[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Kosher salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 pound ground meat of choice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 quart of your home made sauce (no jarred or canned sauce, please)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ cups of Ricotta Cheese[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]olive oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 8-1/2- x 11-inch glass or 9- x 12-inch metal baking dish/pan [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Preheat oven to 375oF[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Slice the eggplant about 1/8-inch thick. Place on cooling racks with paper towels underneath, or directly on paper towels, but racks are better. Sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt and let stand fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running cold water, place on dry paper towels and pat dry.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]While the eggplant is purging, brown the ground meat in a tablespoon of olive oil, mix with enough of your sauce to create a "sloppy joe" consistency, and set aside to cool. Use enough of the remaining sauce in the bottom of the baking dish to lightly cover the bottom.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mix the three cheeses and the egg together in a large bowl, retaining 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a non-stick frying pan, lightly brown the eggplant slices in olive oil on both sides. The eggplant will really soak up the oil, so use it sparingly. As they finish browning, place in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping as necessary to cover. Once the bottom is covered, add 1/2 the ground meat and sauce, then 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Brown more eggplant and form a second layer, again overlapping to cover. Add the remaining 1/2 of the meat mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Brown the remaining eggplant slices and form a third layer, again overlapping to cover completely. Add the last of the cheese mixture to the top, then sprinkle the remaing 1/2 cup of mozzarella over the top. Cover with aluminum foil.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Bake for 45 minutes, remove foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes before serving.[/FONT]

I just made individual eggplant parmesans last night. Just grill or broil two slices per person, a nice slab of tomato, some mozzerella and a few shavings of parmesan. I stacked it all up and topped with some scallion and red pepper, seasonings and baked for about 15 minutes.

Just found a before photo in my camera.....

Attachments

• 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
@ Princess Fiona: Please do NOT freeze fresh eggplants

Fiona,

Good Evening.

I have never froze eggplant fresh without sautéeing it first ...

I would suggest that you prepare yourself, a mini layered tray of eggplant parmigiana --- bake it ... then divide like a lasagne and freeze in baggies ... this way, whenever u get a craving for the dish, just microwave the chunk --- a chunk per baggie ...

I am in editorial deadline through Thursday, so off in a minute or two.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
I've writen about my favorite way to prepare the egg plant. Sautee some red bell pepper and tomatoe, add seasoning and your favorite herbs to taste, at the very end add crushed garlic, as much or as little as you like. Set aside. Slice and fry eggplant, either straight up or dradged in some flour or bread crumbs. Make sure to season it. Fry on both sides. Put the tomato/peppr mix on the top, sprincle with some more fresh garlic, serve hot.

Fiona,

Good Evening.

I have never froze eggplant fresh without sautéeing it first ...

I would suggest that you prepare yourself, a mini layered tray of eggplant parmigiana --- bake it ... then divide like a lasagne and freeze in baggies ... this way, whenever u get a craving for the dish, just microwave the chunk --- a chunk per baggie ...

I am in editorial deadline through Thursday, so off in a minute or two.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Thank You Margi! Much appreciated. I will cook it first and then freeze it.

@ Charlie,

Dredged in flour or breadcrumbs is the most popular way ... and quite delicious ... nice dish for informal company too --- as it can be prepared like a lasagne ... layers and in between, either bufala di mozzarella and tomato sauce of choice or bechamel.

Thanks for contributing and the feedback.

Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom