"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
Executive Chef

To All The Posters On Aubergine,

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I have enjoyed each and every post on this thread.

Eggplant ( Melanzane or Aubergine ) is my fave veggie ... so the new recipes, the ideas and all your assistance and comments are greatly appreciated.

*** Princess Fiona: I have never freezed a fresh whole eggplant. I would cook first and then when room temperature, you can freeze !

Sorry, I am in editorial deadline until Thursday ... so please do excuse me ...

Kindest.
Margi.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
Executive Chef

My all time favorite eggplant dish:

Malagnone a la Sicilian

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sized eggplants
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 pound ground meat of choice
  • 1 quart of your home made sauce (no jarred or canned sauce, please)
  • 1½ cups of Ricotta Cheese
  • 1½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 egg
  • olive oil
  • 1 8-1/2- x 11-inch glass or 9- x 12-inch metal baking dish/pan
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375oF

Slice the eggplant about 1/8-inch thick. Place on cooling racks with paper towels underneath, or directly on paper towels, but racks are better. Sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt and let stand fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cold running cold water, place on dry paper towels and pat dry.

While the eggplant is purging, brown the ground meat in a tablespoon of olive oil, mix with enough of your sauce to create a "sloppy joe" consistency, and set aside to cool. Use enough of the remaining sauce in the bottom of the baking dish to lightly cover the bottom.
Mix the three cheeses and the egg together in a large bowl, retaining 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese.

In a non-stick frying pan, lightly brown the eggplant slices in olive oil on both sides. The eggplant will really soak up the oil, so use it sparingly. As they finish browning, place in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping as necessary to cover. Once the bottom is covered, add 1/2 the ground meat and sauce, then 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Brown more eggplant and form a second layer, again overlapping to cover. Add the remaining 1/2 of the meat mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Brown the remaining eggplant slices and form a third layer, again overlapping to cover completely. Add the last of the cheese mixture to the top, then sprinkle the remaing 1/2 cup of mozzarella over the top. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 45 minutes, remove foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes before serving.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
Executive Chef

You are an angel !!! Grazie, Ciao. Margi.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I just made individual eggplant parmesans last night. Just grill or broil two slices per person, a nice slab of tomato, some mozzerella and a few shavings of parmesan. I stacked it all up and topped with some scallion and red pepper, seasonings and baked for about 15 minutes.

Just found a before photo in my camera.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	158.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	13308  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Stunning and I cannot wait to bake eggplant Saturday for lunch ... Thanks so much.
Margi
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #36
Executive Chef

@ Princess Fiona: Please do NOT freeze fresh eggplants

Fiona,

Good Evening.

I have never froze eggplant fresh without sautéeing it first ...

I would suggest that you prepare yourself, a mini layered tray of eggplant parmigiana --- bake it ... then divide like a lasagne and freeze in baggies ... this way, whenever u get a craving for the dish, just microwave the chunk --- a chunk per baggie ...

I am in editorial deadline through Thursday, so off in a minute or two.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
Master Chef

I've writen about my favorite way to prepare the egg plant. Sautee some red bell pepper and tomatoe, add seasoning and your favorite herbs to taste, at the very end add crushed garlic, as much or as little as you like. Set aside. Slice and fry eggplant, either straight up or dradged in some flour or bread crumbs. Make sure to season it. Fry on both sides. Put the tomato/peppr mix on the top, sprincle with some more fresh garlic, serve hot.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I have spent quite a bit of time searching for a marinated Ukranian eggplant recipe. Here's the link to the thread:

Marinated Eggplant

I hope to perfect it this summer when the eggplant and dill are in season.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Fiona,

Good Evening.

I have never froze eggplant fresh without sautéeing it first ...

I would suggest that you prepare yourself, a mini layered tray of eggplant parmigiana --- bake it ... then divide like a lasagne and freeze in baggies ... this way, whenever u get a craving for the dish, just microwave the chunk --- a chunk per baggie ...

I am in editorial deadline through Thursday, so off in a minute or two.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Thank You Margi! Much appreciated. I will cook it first and then freeze it.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #40
Executive Chef

@ Charlie,

Dredged in flour or breadcrumbs is the most popular way ... and quite delicious ... nice dish for informal company too --- as it can be prepared like a lasagne ... layers and in between, either bufala di mozzarella and tomato sauce of choice or bechamel.

Thanks for contributing and the feedback.

Margi.

Tags
eggplant, parmesan, pecorino, recipe

Eggplant & how to prepare Would love to hear from all of you with your take on Eggplant ? Firstly, my favorite vegetable is eggplant or aubergine ... I love the fried layers of Baked Eggplant topped with a divine home made tomato sauce and layered like a lasagne and it is called Melanzane di Lecce ... Eggplant of Lecce, Puglia, Italy ... Of course, I also like Aubergine With Tahine and Pasta Norma which translates to Pasta with Eggplant as Norma in Sicilia, is Eggplant. Caponata for an appetiser is nice too ... with a crusty warm bread ... Kindest. Margi. 3 stars 1 reviews