"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Master Chef

CW, you know I still cannot believe they would not give the recipe. I may just have to come visit that place, and maybe get a bottle of vodka then they might give it up. Though when I ated it was an Israely guy who was the chef and cooking.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie--I do think the secret is to brine the eggplant, let it cool in the brine, drain it, and then make the dressing like I did...kinda like "flavoring" pickled herring (double-brining if you will). I'm going to try that method this summer.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Ciao, Bom Día, Good Afternoon,

I sought of caught the tail end of this discussion, however, are you discussing Pickled Eggplants ?

In Almagro, Spain, there is an eggplant variety which is specifically grown and used in pickled brine for jar industry and of course they are also sold in the oak barrels in central markets ...

I sometimes have them as a Tapa at a bar, with a glass of wine ...

Their shape: the eggplant contains a thick long stem like a celery with an oval egg shaped eggplant ...

Do you know what these Almagro eggplants in brine are ?

Have nice day.
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Ciao, Bom Día, Good Afternoon,

I sought of caught the tail end of this discussion, however, are you discussing Pickled Eggplants ?

In Almagro, Spain, there is an eggplant variety which is specifically grown and used in pickled brine for jar industry and of course they are also sold in the oak barrels in central markets ...

I sometimes have them as a Tapa at a bar, with a glass of wine ...

Their shape: the eggplant contains a thick long stem like a celery with an oval egg shaped eggplant ...

Do you know what these Almagro eggplants in brine are ?

Have nice day.
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.
Sorta--if you click the link I included in my earlier post, you'll see that there is a Perogie shop in Ottawa, Ontario where they make a marinated eggplant salad that is heavy on fresh dill. I've been trying to find the recipe to no avail, and the shop owner won't share it. And, I don't know the name of it because it the name is written in Cyrillic whenever I'm there and just "Eggplant salad" re: English. Anyway, I had fresh dill and eggplant at the same time and played with it. I ran out of eggplant and dill before I could try bringing the eggplant and then putting it in the marinade (which is similar to the one I use for my Swedish cucumber salad). It is the texture of the eggplant that is missing from my experiment.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #45
Master Chef

From what you discribed you ate, I though it was a grilled or fried or maybe baked egg plant with some kind if dill/vinegar dressing. At least that what I had in mind. i really do not think it was brined before hand. Also knowing Ukranian shops, theidea is to make something fast and turn a quick profit. Pickling requires time. Of course not having what you had I could be wrong.

But since we ar the subject, MArgi maybe you know of such a dish?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I've writen about my favorite way to prepare the egg plant. Sautee some red bell pepper and tomatoe, add seasoning and your favorite herbs to taste, at the very end add crushed garlic, as much or as little as you like. Set aside. Slice and fry eggplant, either straight up or dradged in some flour or bread crumbs. Make sure to season it. Fry on both sides. Put the tomato/peppr mix on the top, sprincle with some more fresh garlic, serve hot.
Sounds like this would be great over pasta.

Giardiniera comes to mind too. (I buy it bottled & served with hot roast beef sandwiches - Chicago-style).

Giardiniera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grilled eggplant in an antipasti, is another favorite.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Oh man, I just remembered one big fail! I saw Giada make a timbal in a spring form pan. Eggplant was used as the outer layer. I copied the recipe and set to making it. Everything was looking and tasting great! Then I removed the spring form! Like a dam breaking in slow motion, the eggplant gave way. Sausage, rigatoni, bell peppers and cheese flowed like lava off of the base and on to the sheet pan it was setting on. Mind you it still tasted good. Guess I should have let it cool much longer.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Oh man, I just remembered one big fail! I saw Giada make a timbal in a spring form pan. Eggplant was used as the outer layer. I copied the recipe and set to making it. Everything was looking and tasting great! Then I removed the spring form! Like a dam breaking in slow motion, the eggplant gave way. Sausage, rigatoni, bell peppers and cheese flowed like lava off of the base and on to the sheet pan it was setting on. Mind you it still tasted good. Guess I should have let it cool much longer.
You reminded me of a dish I made long ago, in a Bundt pan - with layers of eggplant, artichokes cheese, tomatoes/tomato sauce, etc.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #49
Executive Chef

@ Charlie,

There is an Italian dish, common in southern Italia, called Drunken Eggplant in Olive Oil ... It is marinated in olive oil ...

There are uncountable varieties of eggplant ... and the dishes where it is predominate are: Puglia, Basilicata, Reggio Calabria and Sicily ...

I have little knowledge about Eastern European fare except for southeastern Europe: Greece and Turkey.

In Spain; as I mentioned there is a Castilla La Mancha ALMAGRO EGGPLANT which is quite different looking than a AUBERGINE FROM ITALIA or SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF SPAIN eggplant ... it is marinated in vinegar and oil and used in jar industry or stored in oak barrels and served as a Tapa in bars ... the Designation of Origin: Almagro, Ciudad Real Province, Castilla La Mancha ...

I shall take a further look, and if I find anything else, I shall write on this post.

Have nice evening.
Ciao.
Margaux.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
Executive Chef

I just realised that there is a dish called TIMBAL EGGPLANT ... Need to take a look in Italian ...

Margi.

Tags
eggplant, parmesan, pecorino, recipe

Eggplant & how to prepare Would love to hear from all of you with your take on Eggplant ? Firstly, my favorite vegetable is eggplant or aubergine ... I love the fried layers of Baked Eggplant topped with a divine home made tomato sauce and layered like a lasagne and it is called Melanzane di Lecce ... Eggplant of Lecce, Puglia, Italy ... Of course, I also like Aubergine With Tahine and Pasta Norma which translates to Pasta with Eggplant as Norma in Sicilia, is Eggplant. Caponata for an appetiser is nice too ... with a crusty warm bread ... Kindest. Margi. 3 stars 1 reviews