Eggplant & how to prepare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CW, you know I still cannot believe they would not give the recipe. I may just have to come visit that place, and maybe get a bottle of vodka then they might give it up. Though when I ated it was an Israely guy who was the chef and cooking.

Charlie--I do think the secret is to brine the eggplant, let it cool in the brine, drain it, and then make the dressing like I did...kinda like "flavoring" pickled herring (double-brining if you will). I'm going to try that method this summer.

Ciao, Bom Día, Good Afternoon,

I sought of caught the tail end of this discussion, however, are you discussing Pickled Eggplants ?

In Almagro, Spain, there is an eggplant variety which is specifically grown and used in pickled brine for jar industry and of course they are also sold in the oak barrels in central markets ...

I sometimes have them as a Tapa at a bar, with a glass of wine ...

Their shape: the eggplant contains a thick long stem like a celery with an oval egg shaped eggplant ...

Do you know what these Almagro eggplants in brine are ?

Have nice day.
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Ciao, Bom Día, Good Afternoon,

I sought of caught the tail end of this discussion, however, are you discussing Pickled Eggplants ?

In Almagro, Spain, there is an eggplant variety which is specifically grown and used in pickled brine for jar industry and of course they are also sold in the oak barrels in central markets ...

I sometimes have them as a Tapa at a bar, with a glass of wine ...

Their shape: the eggplant contains a thick long stem like a celery with an oval egg shaped eggplant ...

Do you know what these Almagro eggplants in brine are ?

Have nice day.
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.
Sorta--if you click the link I included in my earlier post, you'll see that there is a Perogie shop in Ottawa, Ontario where they make a marinated eggplant salad that is heavy on fresh dill. I've been trying to find the recipe to no avail, and the shop owner won't share it. And, I don't know the name of it because it the name is written in Cyrillic whenever I'm there and just "Eggplant salad" re: English. Anyway, I had fresh dill and eggplant at the same time and played with it. I ran out of eggplant and dill before I could try bringing the eggplant and then putting it in the marinade (which is similar to the one I use for my Swedish cucumber salad). It is the texture of the eggplant that is missing from my experiment.

From what you discribed you ate, I though it was a grilled or fried or maybe baked egg plant with some kind if dill/vinegar dressing. At least that what I had in mind. i really do not think it was brined before hand. Also knowing Ukranian shops, theidea is to make something fast and turn a quick profit. Pickling requires time. Of course not having what you had I could be wrong.

But since we ar the subject, MArgi maybe you know of such a dish?

I've writen about my favorite way to prepare the egg plant. Sautee some red bell pepper and tomatoe, add seasoning and your favorite herbs to taste, at the very end add crushed garlic, as much or as little as you like. Set aside. Slice and fry eggplant, either straight up or dradged in some flour or bread crumbs. Make sure to season it. Fry on both sides. Put the tomato/peppr mix on the top, sprincle with some more fresh garlic, serve hot.

Sounds like this would be great over pasta.

Giardiniera comes to mind too. (I buy it bottled & served with hot roast beef sandwiches - Chicago-style).

Giardiniera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grilled eggplant in an antipasti, is another favorite.

Oh man, I just remembered one big fail! I saw Giada make a timbal in a spring form pan. Eggplant was used as the outer layer. I copied the recipe and set to making it. Everything was looking and tasting great! Then I removed the spring form!:ohmy: Like a dam breaking in slow motion, the eggplant gave way. Sausage, rigatoni, bell peppers and cheese flowed like lava off of the base and on to the sheet pan it was setting on.:( Mind you it still tasted good. Guess I should have let it cool much longer.:D

Oh man, I just remembered one big fail! I saw Giada make a timbal in a spring form pan. Eggplant was used as the outer layer. I copied the recipe and set to making it. Everything was looking and tasting great! Then I removed the spring form!:ohmy: Like a dam breaking in slow motion, the eggplant gave way. Sausage, rigatoni, bell peppers and cheese flowed like lava off of the base and on to the sheet pan it was setting on.:( Mind you it still tasted good. Guess I should have let it cool much longer.:D

You reminded me of a dish I made long ago, in a Bundt pan - with layers of eggplant, artichokes cheese, tomatoes/tomato sauce, etc.

@ Charlie,

There is an Italian dish, common in southern Italia, called Drunken Eggplant in Olive Oil ... It is marinated in olive oil ...

There are uncountable varieties of eggplant ... and the dishes where it is predominate are: Puglia, Basilicata, Reggio Calabria and Sicily ...

I have little knowledge about Eastern European fare except for southeastern Europe: Greece and Turkey.

In Spain; as I mentioned there is a Castilla La Mancha ALMAGRO EGGPLANT which is quite different looking than a AUBERGINE FROM ITALIA or SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF SPAIN eggplant ... it is marinated in vinegar and oil and used in jar industry or stored in oak barrels and served as a Tapa in bars ... the Designation of Origin: Almagro, Ciudad Real Province, Castilla La Mancha ...

I shall take a further look, and if I find anything else, I shall write on this post.

Have nice evening.
Ciao.
Margaux.

The timballina is a mold --- in which you put the ingredients to make the dish eggplant timbal. Its origins are in the Middle East. It was brought to Italia, by the Moorish. Its contents include pasta, veggies, and / or rice ... and protein source. It is quite delicious.

Margi.

For the poster, seeking info:

Timballina is a metal mold, used to prepare Eggplant timbal ... it forms a high cake ( compact ) of pasta - a macaroni or rice, veggies, meat if so desired etc. It is Middle Eastern by origin.

It is quite delicious.

Margi.

Margi, I doubt the dish in question belongs to any particular region. If you notice CW had it in Ukranian restaurant and I had it in Israeli restaurant. Buit from discription of it it is very, very simular. Honestly do not remember about oil, but distictly remeber vinegar, which I love.

Margi, I doubt the dish in question belongs to any particular region. If you notice CW had it in Ukranian restaurant and I had it in Israeli restaurant. Buit from discription of it it is very, very simular. Honestly do not remember about oil, but distictly remeber vinegar, which I love.
Charlie--it is on my bucket list to pick up some of this dish (it is a cold side) and eggplant and fresh dill (the shop doesn't always have it and I am not in that neighborhood that often, but two friends live nearby so maybe in exchange for eggs, I can get them to check before coming out to get eggs :yum:) and do "side-by-side" taste tests trying a couple of different ways of preparing the eggplant. Grilling it was one thought...I know it doesn't have any oil in it. And lots of dill...Ideally, I'd like to try this with eggplant from the garden and my own dill. I know that the eggplant is not "exotic" but the average "Black Beauty" type one finds in the grocery store.

Middle Eastern Eggplant Salad

Good Morning,

@ CWS, and Charlie,

Today in Spain, there is a General Strike, so I am not venturing the 20 minute tube ride to the Magazine Office. With a free morning off, I have decided to go through my Middle Eastern Cookbook ( do not have a Ukranian or Russian one as I have never cooked these cuisines ... Russian: ate at Russian Tea Room - NYC many years ago in the 1970s ) and I found this recipe for a Middle Eastern Eggplant salad which I believe is quite similar to the description of the Israeli one, however, the spices are slightly different as it is Ukranian.

EGGPLANT SALAD

2 eggplants
2 tblsps. EV olive oil
1/2 fresh chopped finely parsley or cilantro or dill
1 tblsp. fresh lemon juice (*** note: vinegar would be the substitute )
1 tblsp. fresh orange squeezed orange juice
1/2 tsp. black freshly ground pepper
a pinch of cayenne flakes or a tiny dried red chili pepper

1) cut the eggplants in thin slices and let rest on paper towels for an hour
2) preheat oven 400 degrees farenheit
3) take a tblsp of EV and grease the grilling or baking tray
4) Place the slices of eggplant on the tray and sprinkle with a pinch to salt and black pepper to taste and a tblsp. of EV
5) grill until golden ( 4 minutes per side approx. )
6) when grilled golden: drizzle the juices and / or vinegar and olive oil on the eggplant slices in a large earthenware vessel
7) marinate in refrig a couple of hours and then serve with crusty bread or toasted warm Pita

Margi. Cintrano. ( this dish is served in Israel, Jordan and Lebanon )

Last edited:
Cut them into thin slices. Sprinkle with salt, lemon juice, olive oil and a little sugar, and bake in the oven. The baked slices are great on lots of things, such as on sandwiches with cheese, as anti pasta...:yum:

I am going to scan the photo --- this may be of some help ... I shall put the book in my suitcase ! Be patient and I shall do over weekend. I may have to put it, in my Member ship photos. I shall title Marinated Eggplant.
The key is the marinade prior to oven grill / broil.
The slices are very very thin ...
Kind regards.
Have a nice evening.

Photos of Eggplant Dishes from the Mediterranean

Here are a couple of photos of Eggplant or Aubergine Mediterranean Dishes from Margaux Cintrano:

1) Eggplant Napolean, layered baked eggplant with tomato
2) Eggplant Caviar or Babaghanuj

Attachments

• eggplant napolean salad.jpg
    eggplant napolean salad.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 162
  • eggplant caviar.jpg
    eggplant caviar.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 166
Photo: Roasted Baked Eggplant Au Gratin

This divine dish is prepared with eggplant, home made tomato sauce, herbs and Reggiano Parmesano.

By; Margaux Cintrano.

Attachments

• roast eggplant au gratin.jpg
    roast eggplant au gratin.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 180

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom