"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Eggplant & how to prepare

Would love to hear from all of you with your take on Eggplant ?

Firstly, my favorite vegetable is eggplant or aubergine ... I love the fried layers of Baked Eggplant topped with a divine home made tomato sauce and layered like a lasagne and it is called Melanzane di Lecce ... Eggplant of Lecce, Puglia, Italy ... Of course, I also like Aubergine With Tahine and Pasta Norma which translates to Pasta with Eggplant as Norma in Sicilia, is Eggplant. Caponata for an appetiser is nice too ... with a crusty warm bread ...

Kindest. Margi.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Master Chef

Bread, fry, drain. Then single layer of eggplant on a sheet tray, top with sauce, season with favorite herbs and spices if desired, fresh grated romano, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses then under the broiler to melt and brown.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I just made individual eggplant parmesans last night. Just grill or broil two slices per person, a nice slab of tomato, some mozzerella and a few shavings of parmesan. I stacked it all up and topped with some scallion and red pepper, seasonings and baked for about 15 minutes.
I love making eggplant caviar also. Pickled eggplant is my favoriet anti pasti.

I also stuff them by cutting lengthways, and baking for about half an hour with cut side down. Scrape out insides leaving about half an inch of thickness. Chop insides coarsley and saute with onions, garlic, celery, peppers, chopped tomatoes. Then, I let it cool for a few minutes. Add a beaten egg and mix thoroughly. Divede mixture and stuff both egg plant shells, top with cheese of your choice and bake for about half an hour....This is great eaten cold, also.

I could go on.....
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Grazie, Muchas Gracías, Danke, Mercì and Many Thanks for such stunning input and photos ... I love Eggplant Parmigiana too ... Melanzane di Lecce is with Bechamel ... a bit different and it is a vegetable lasagne ... with a topping of bechamel ...

WOW ... awesome posts.

Margi.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Here is a pizza I made with roasted eggplant wedges......
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Eggplant is one of those vegis that I dislike, but enjoy as an ingredient. I am very fond of babaganoush. I like finely chopped eggplant in moussaka. I like very thinly sliced eggplant in lasagna (but not too much). I have also had it in a mixed, grilled, marinated vegi thing from my local Greek grocery store, and it was really good.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Head Chef

You have mentioned some of my favorites too.

Rollatini - as an entree, or as an appetizer with proscuitto and toasted pine nuts.

Eggplant balls. Nice change from meat balls.

Caprese salad with grilled eggplant.

Grilled eggplant pizza - with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella & basil.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Half Baked

I fried some slices of aubergines and some japanese eggplant in oil untill they turned dark brown and sprinkled with salt. They were great!

I like a chinese dish one of local places serves. It is eggplant woked with ground pork,onions and some hoisin sauce.

My other favorite is grilled and then marinated.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Head Chef

Another EP dish I like is stuffed eggplant. I forget the Italian name, but it translates to "Little Shoes" or "Little Slippers."

An Asian dish I like, is stir-fried eggplant and tofu. I have had it at Chinese restaurants, but not made it myself.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've been on an Eggplant Parmesan kick lately. Unfortunately, Shrek does not like it and I'm finding it difficult to use a whole eggplant for myself.

Does eggplant, uncooked, freeze well? Or should I sauté/roast/grill it first?

Tags
eggplant, parmesan, pecorino, recipe

Eggplant & how to prepare Would love to hear from all of you with your take on Eggplant ? Firstly, my favorite vegetable is eggplant or aubergine ... I love the fried layers of Baked Eggplant topped with a divine home made tomato sauce and layered like a lasagne and it is called Melanzane di Lecce ... Eggplant of Lecce, Puglia, Italy ... Of course, I also like Aubergine With Tahine and Pasta Norma which translates to Pasta with Eggplant as Norma in Sicilia, is Eggplant. Caponata for an appetiser is nice too ... with a crusty warm bread ... Kindest. Margi. 3 stars 1 reviews