Eggplant Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Wonder if any of the great cooks here have a favorite eggplant recipe to share - Greek, Italian, Japanese, croquettes, dips, parmigiana, mousakka (sp?), casserole, salad, pasta, appetizer? I do so enjoy them. Thanks in advance.

Here are two that I make:

Eggplant Dip

Roast the eggplant, discard the charred skin and reserve
Sun dried tomatoes (about 5)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
zest of a lemon
1/4 cup grated parmasean cheese
fresh parsley finely chopped
pinch of red chilli flakes
salt and black pepper to taste

Add the roasted eggplant to the blender. Add the sun dried tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice and olive oil puree the mixture. Stir in the cheese, parsley, red chilli flakes, salt and pepper and zest and garnish with parsley.

Goes well with a crusty Italian bread or even as a sandwich spread for a grilled veggie panini. It lasts for a week in the refrigerator.

Baingan Bharta - You did not ask for an Indian dish but I could not resist because we use it a lot in Indian cooking. If you are adventurous try it else ignore it.

Roast the eggplant, discard the charred skin and chop it into rough peices (it's pretty mushy)
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 large tomato finely chopped
3 tbsp of yogurt or sour cream
1 tsp of cumin seeds
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tsp of curry powder
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp of oil

In a saute pan add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and the garlic saute it for a minute and then add the onions. Cook until the onions are translucent. Now add the tomatoes, curry powder and let the tomatoes soften a bit ( I normally cover the pan at this time and put the stove on low so that the tomatoes soften in the steam). Once the tomatoes are soften and a mush add the chopped, cooked eggplant. Add the yogurt or sour cream and let it all simmer covered for 15 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan or rice.

Thank you Yakuta. These look wonderful. I'm adding them to my must-try list. All cuisines are greatly appreciated. I have many eggplant recipes saved. If anyone is looking for a certain dish, let me know. Thanks again.

Sorry I didnt see this thread before posting a recipe on here today called"eggplant recipe creation". Guess we were both thinking about eggplant today :D

Back
Top Bottom