"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd love to make eggplant parm, Rock. I've never tried to make it before. Do you have a recipe I could try?
We used to make eggplant parm as a casserole/layered dish, but got tired of the soggy breading from being baked with the sauce. We now make a double stack that is assembled on the plate. A piece of breaded (seasoned panko) eggplant, thin sliced fresh mozz, sauce. Repeat. Grated parm on top. The eggplant is prepped ahead by peeling, salting, resting, rinsing and drying before breading. We prefer the sliced mozz as it protects the crisp breading from the sauce better than grated.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
if you slice too thick you will end up with a mushy dish.
How thick do you slice the eggplant? I grill eggplant as a side, and then sprinkle a little parm on it. Slices are usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. They do come out a little soggy, but I assumed that is just how it is. I haven't experimented with anything thinner, as I'm not sure if it would remain intact on the grill. I'm game to try something different. Or are you just referring to breading and frying?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've had the eggplant slices marinating in canned spaghetti sauce and decided to go ahead and make the lasagna for dinner tonight.

I was going to make a beef stew, but the lasagna will make more room in my fridge and I want to know if my ideas (thanks for your help) will work.

I have the spaghetti smothered slices in the 350° oven. I'll check and rearrange them and give them another 15 minutes. Hopefully that will be enough.

I'm using pre-made taco meat mixture, probably more spaghetti sauce.

I've got ricotta, mozzarella, 3 cheese parm, and cottage cheese if I need it. I've got some bleu cheese crumbles I might like to try, but I don't know if I dare.

I'll probably do the layers and put it back in the fridge until I get hungry for dinner.

If you people have any more suggestions, I'd love to hear from you. What do you think about adding some blue cheese crumbles??

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #24
Executive Chef

This dish (though it may not be correct) was eggplant parmigiana in our house.
My mother would lightly bread and fry eggplant that had been lightly salted and allow to drain on paper towels.
Then she layered the baking dish just as you would lasagna. Same ingredients as well.

I see no reason why you could not make this and not bread and fry the slices.
With the addition of homemade tomato sauce and several cheeses, it was remarkable. My mother added blanched green peas for color.
I do not make my eggplant parmigiana this way.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Like myself, my daughter would make her sauce on Friday, then on Saturday morning cut and press her eggplant, flour, egg, bread crumbs and then sauté them in olive oil. She would grate the Moz cheese also at this time. Everything went into the fridge until Sunday morning. Then it would all get put together. A three day effort. And a lot of work. We have a place here called Spinelli's that specializes in Italian food. They make fresh raviolis, pasta, etc. And they also make the dishes for Meals on Wheels. Italian of course. You could buy a whole tray of it already put together. All you have to do is pop it in the oven. When I was just starting out as a new bride, all they made were fresh raviolis. Someday I am going to go down to Day Square and punch some one's lights out. Where were they when I was just starting out? Now they have two huge function facilities along with their cooked food supply.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
This dish (though it may not be correct) was eggplant parmigiana in our house.
I don't think there is a correct recipe. The breading and frying was just another technique used to add another quality to the finished product...
Old 06-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I don't think there is a correct recipe. The breading and frying was just another technique used to add another quality to the finished product...
Most recipes for "...parm" dishes, veal or chicken, call for breading and frying the main ingredient. It follows that you should bread and fry the eggplant to be consistent. However, the food police are off duty today so do what you want.

One caution. You must use parmesan cheese in eggplant parm or else you have to change the name.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, I cooked it, and the flavor is great.

However, apparently I used too much spaghetti sauce and it ended up soupy. Delicious, but soupy.

Another lesson learned. *sigh*

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Well, I cooked it, and the flavor is great.

However, apparently I used too much spaghetti sauce and it ended up soupy. Delicious, but soupy.

Another lesson learned. *sigh*
I decided to make baba ganoush one day. I put eggplant on the grill...and then I remembered I had to pick up meds at the veterinary clinic. I was 1/2 to the clinic when I remembered I had eggplant on the propane grill. I turned around, went home, and rescued the baba ganoush.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Most recipes for "...parm" dishes, veal or chicken, call for breading and frying the main ingredient. It follows that you should bread and fry the eggplant to be consistent. However, the food police are off duty today so do what you want.

One caution. You must use parmesan cheese in eggplant parm or else you have to change the name.
Our breading has lots of freshly grated parm as well as the amount that goes on the top, but I got to have that melty mozz!

Tags
egg, eggplant, lasagna, other