"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,924
I just went through two of my cookbooks which are Mexican. The only eggplant recipe listed is Eggplant with Coconut milk, and the author states that it has a Caribbean influence.

I call my Hispanic market ( which sells a variety of nations foods Guatemala, El Salvidor..) the Mexican market, just because of all Hispanic based foods, i primarily only cook Mexican and thats where i get my supplies. For the same reason i call the Asian market ( which sells, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese supplies) the Chinese market and the Indian market I which sells Indian, Pakistani...) the Indian market. I even call the Health food store, which sells anything from vegetarian and vegan products to organic meats, the Vegetarian store. Just call them what makes sense to me.
__________________

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I just went through two of my cookbooks which are Mexican. The only eggplant recipe listed is Eggplant with Coconut milk, and the author states that it has a Caribbean influence.

I call my Hispanic market ( which sells a variety of nations foods Guatemala, El Salvidor..) the Mexican market, just because of all Hispanic based foods, i primarily only cook Mexican and thats where i get my supplies. For the same reason i call the Asian market ( which sells, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese supplies) the Chinese market and the Indian market I which sells Indian, Pakistani...) the Indian market. I even call the Health food store, which sells anything from vegetarian and vegan products to organic meats, the Vegetarian store. Just call them what makes sense to me.
That seems to be the most sensible approach! I actually call La Bonita the bodega, even though a bodega is usually considered to be a local small grocery, and La Bonita is a pretty huge supermarket with a butcher and seafood counter (that’s where I get my heads-on shrimp), a food court, and an on-site bakery (did I mention warm fresh tortillas?).

I just like the word “bodega.” LOL
__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,351
When I worked in Chile they were very common in the markets (suspect from the Italian influence).

This is one way I saw it served. Receta de Lasaña de Berenjena | Gourmet
__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Casey, I've found that most Mexican and central Americans don't speak up much about being "simply called" Mexican, although it's a misnomer with possibly mildly racist overtones. Kinda like calling all Asian looking people Chinese.
Depends on the situation.
The markets here, like Fiesta, are Mexican markets... that also have other foods from central, and even the US. But, they are Mexican markets, because they get most of their income from Mexican immigrants, and "gringos" like me that like what they sell. I can get stuff at Fiesta that I can't get anywhere else... and their produce department is pure produce heaven.

I have also found that if someone is from a central American country other than Mexico, they will correct you politely. They understand it is hard to tell the difference from a name.

My family lived in Puerto Rico for three years, and I can usually tell the difference between them and Mexican Americans by their accents. Puerto Ricans speak a different Spanish, a more traditional Spanish, and the accent when they speak English is slightly different. The names are often different, too.

Anyway, my point was that we sometimes take the PC thing more seriously than the people we talk about do. I have friends from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Columbia. With the possible exception of one of those friends, they don't get bent out of shape if someone thinks they are Mexican. But, that guy gets bent out of shape about lots of things.

But, I have spent a lifetime having my last name misspelled and mispronounced. I actually get a kick out of the most ridiculous mispronunciations. People often add a couple syllables to my name when they try to read it and say it. I just correct them with a smile, and if they are embarrassed, I try to make them feel better about butchering my name. I know they didn't do it on purpose.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
But, I have spent a lifetime having my last name misspelled and mispronounced. I actually get a kick out of the most ridiculous mispronunciations. People often add a couple syllables to my name when they try to read it and say it. I just correct them with a smile, and if they are embarrassed, I try to make them feel better about butchering my name. I know they didn't do it on purpose.

CD
To expand on that a little bit Casey I didn't change my name when I married Souschef ten years ago. I had a perfectly nice and easy last name and his is a pain. Someone is always mispronouncing his and since his name is published often, I'll tell you his last name is Goch. I always laugh when he tells folks it rhymes with Scotch.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
His last name is a Klingon delicacy?

THAT IS SO COOL!

Q'plah! house of K-L!

(you know, that works )
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
To expand on that a little bit Casey I didn't change my name when I married Souschef ten years ago. I had a perfectly nice and easy last name and his is a pain. Someone is always mispronouncing his and since his name is published often, I'll tell you his last name is Goch. I always laugh when he tells folks it rhymes with Scotch.
But.... one alternative is a synonym for "tacky." Oh... is that the right pronunciation? Sorry.

A lot of people see my last name, and panic, which makes it easy to add more to it than what it is. BTW, Mexicans NEVER mispronounce it. It's Italian, and they get it right every time.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
...But, I have spent a lifetime having my last name misspelled and mispronounced...
It has its advantages. When we still had a landline and got telemarketing calls, it was a great way to separate the telemarketers from people who actually know us! Yes, we have one of those confusing-to-pronounce last names, too.
__________________
Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants. ~ Michael Pollan
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,430
Despite being a member of the nightshade family, eggplant is native to India, not Central or South America. So it would have come to the Americas with the Europeans and wouldn't be as common in Mexican and other communities down that way.

Here on the East Coast, and especially in the area where I live, with a large military presence - primarily Navy, with a solid contingent of Puerto Ricans - we call them Latin markets. Except for the one gigantic International Market, because it has a huge inventory of Asian ingredients as well.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
But.... one alternative is a synonym for "tacky." Oh... is that the right pronunciation? Sorry.

A lot of people see my last name, and panic, which makes it easy to add more to it than what it is. BTW, Mexicans NEVER mispronounce it. It's Italian, and they get it right every time.

CD
Reminds me of moving (1962) to a small California town with a prominent Portuguese population. A friend I made there was named Gomes.. He was adamant that no one thought his name was Mexican (Gomez)... At the time, I never quite understood why..

Ross
__________________

__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, eggplant, mexican, mexican cuisine

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.