"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,286
Eggplant in Mexican Cuisine

I recently visited the neighborhood Hispanic supermarket(Latino? I canít keep up with the PC terms!). Itís always an adventure for me. And their fresh tortillas are amazing. And they have heads-on shrimp.

They were having a sale on eggplant. 5 really large eggplant for a dollar! But I canít recall eggplant figuring very large in Latin American cuisine. Do any of you fine chefs know of a Central or South American dish that features eggplant? (Iím making involtini with mine. Itís italian and I guess you canít get more ďLatinĒ than that...)

__________________

__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 12,147
I love our nearby Mexican market for the produce too Joel although I've not seen eggplant there, but I love eggplant. You made me curious enough to look around and I'd like to try this recipe, although I'm tempted to add diced Chorizo Spam to the mix. Don't laugh..it's darn good stuff and I've used it often. It has all of the flavor, without any nasty parts.
Anyway, check this out...
Mexican Eggplant Aubergine) Casserole Recipe - Genius Kitchen
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 20,669
There's lots of recipes for berenjenas, from roasted, to stewed, to eggplant "boats" filled with pork and plantains.

I've only had them at baseball parties (the teams I coached were largely Dominican kids), but they were delicious.
__________________
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I recently visited the neighborhood Hispanic supermarket(Latino? I canít keep up with the PC terms!). Itís always an adventure for me. And their fresh tortillas are amazing. And they have heads-on shrimp.

They were having a sale on eggplant. 5 really large eggplant for a dollar! But I canít recall eggplant figuring very large in Latin American cuisine. Do any of you fine chefs know of a Central or South American dish that features eggplant? (Iím making involtini with mine. Itís italian and I guess you canít get more ďLatinĒ than that...)
It is okay to call them Mexican markets. After all, there is nothing wrong with being Mexican. People who live in, or come from Mexico are Mexican... nothing non-PC about that. Living in Texas, I have Mexican immigrant friends and colleagues, and they shop at Mexican markets, and so do I. This whole "can't say Mexican" thing is actually a lot of argument over nothing by people who just like to fight with each other. Yes, it is okay to say "Mexican."

Eggplant is used in some parts of Mexico. Keep in mind, Mexico is a big country, and has many regional cuisines. Mexican food is not monolithic. It is like most regional and cultural foods, based on what was available when and where it originated.

I have not gone into eggplant in Mexico because I don't like eggplant... period. So there may be many Mexican eggplant dishes out there. But, due to my dislike for eggplant, I'll never find them.

But, there are sooooo many really good foods from all over Mexico, by all means, search them out -- including eggplant.

CD
__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 20,669
Now that I recall, I've had Mofongo made with eggplant.
__________________
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 20,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
It is okay to call them Mexican markets. After all, there is nothing wrong with being Mexican. People who live in, or come from Mexico are Mexican... nothing non-PC about that. Living in Texas, I have Mexican immigrant friends and colleagues, and they shop at Mexican markets, and so do I. This whole "can't say Mexican" thing is actually a lot of argument over nothing by people who just like to fight with each other. Yes, it is okay to say "Mexican."

Eggplant is used in some parts of Mexico. Keep in mind, Mexico is a big country, and has many regional cuisines. Mexican food is not monolithic. It is like most regional and cultural foods, based on what was available when and where it originated.

I have not gone into eggplant in Mexico because I don't like eggplant... period. So there may be many Mexican eggplant dishes out there. But, due to my dislike for eggplant, I'll never find them.

But, there are sooooo many really good foods from all over Mexico, by all means, search them out -- including eggplant.

CD
Casey, I've found that most Mexican and central Americans don't speak up much about being "simply called" Mexican, although it's a misnomer with possibly mildly racist overtones. Kinda like calling all Asian looking people Chinese.
Depends on the situation.
__________________
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 12,147
As an aside and for the record, it's more than okay to call them Mexican markets..that's what they are and with my heritage I'm in the minority in this little town.
My love of Mexican food is something I treasure because of the people here.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 AM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 1,913
I think eggplant is used in Greek-Mexican fusion cuisine (google it!).

As far as the PC stuff, here's an article from a Mexican with a sense of humor:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlo...nt?oid=2495749
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I think eggplant is used in Greek-Mexican fusion cuisine (google it!).

As far as the PC stuff, here's an article from a Mexican with a sense of humor:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlo...nt?oid=2495749
That’s very funny! Thanks.
__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,286
People, I hesitated to call it a Mexican market because it’s not a Mexican market! They have customers and products from all over Central and South America. They have Peruvian cheese! I didn’t even know they made cheese in Peru! Most of the merchandise is Mexican, though, and the food court is decidedly Mexican.

The best perk of living near La Bonita? Warm, fresh tortillas!
__________________

__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg, eggplant, mexican, mexican cuisine

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.