Eggplant Parm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I used to be a big fan of making this dish as a baked casserole. Karen, even though she would eat it, told me she really didn't like it made this way. Since then, I have been making it like a two layer Napoleon. The eggplant is coated in panko, fried and drained. I put one piece in an individual serving, baking dish, top with cheese, another piece and top that with cheese. In the oven @ 350F to melt the cheese and it gets sauced just before serving.

The crust stays nice and crispy and overall it seems to have better texture and taste than the casserole.

How do you all prefer you eggplant parm?:)

Salt the eggplant, let it sit for a while, rinse, dry, season, dredge in breadcrumbs/parmesan mix and a little bite of olive oil spray, bake @ 375 until nice and brown.
Get some homemade marinara nice and hot on the stove, ladle it atop the eggplant, top with a MINIMAL amount of mozz and parmesan, then broil inches away from the broiler until the cheese browns. I think this way keeps the best texture for the eggplant as it's not really baked, but only broiled for 1 minute max.
I hate eggplant parm when it's just buried in a sea of mozz. Absolutely kills the dish so I put on just a tiny bit so I can actually taste the eggplant. Same with having too much sauce, it's gotta be just enough to not leave a bunch on the plate but not wish you had more for the last few bites.

Last edited:
Salt the eggplant, let it sit for a while, rinse, dry, season, dredge in breadcrumbs/parmesan mix and a little bite of olive oil spray, bake @ 375 until nice and brown.
Get some homemade marinara nice and hot on the stove, ladle it atop the eggplant, top with a MINIMAL amount of mozz and parmesan, then broil inches away from the broiler until the cheese browns. I think this way keeps the best texture for the eggplant as it's not really baked, but only broiled for 1 minute max.
I hate eggplant parm when it's just buried in a sea of mozz. Absolutely kills the dish so I put on just a tiny bit so I can actually taste the eggplant. Same with having too much sauce, it's gotta be just enough to not leave a bunch on the plate but not wish you had more for the last few bites.

Exactly! Similar results!

Back
Top Bottom