"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

A belt served a greater purpose than holding up my Daddy's pants up Miss Beth. ~~ I would never (get caught) saying something like that ~~ Besides, a big chunk of your Carrot cake would be out of the question!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potato, recipe, salt, spices, sweet, sweet potato, sweet potatoes, sweetener

Elevated Sweet Potato The sweet potato is a widely ignored veggie that is a powerhouse of nutrition and flavor. The sweetness comes from a compound called inulin, and nutrient that does not spike blood sugar, and feeds the healthy flora of the gut. Sweet potatoes are high in many nutrients, and fiber, all of which are again, good for you. Sadly, there are many who don't enjoy this wonderful tuber. Here are a couple of options that will elevate the humble sweet potato to gourmet status. I. Vanilla Sweet Potatoes (made this last night, and everyone loved it. Ingredients: 3 cups peeled & cubed sweet potato 1. 1 tsp. stevia sweetener 2. 1/2 tsp. Salt 3. 4 tsp. butter 4. 1 tsp, vanilla (use artificial vanila for this one as natural vanilla is volatile and will evaporate into the air. Place the sweet spuds in a pot with enough water to cover, and boil until tender. Drain and add butter. Mash and then add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine all of the flavors. serve hot as a side. II. Spiced Sweet Potatoes (Can you say Pumpkin Pie Flavor:yum:) Ingredients: 1. 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes 2. 3 tbs. butter 3. 1/2 tsp. salt 4. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 5. 1/4 tsp. ground ginger 6. 1/8 tsp. ground cloves 7. 1 tsp. mollases 8. 3 tbs. sugar, or stevia sweetener. 9. 1/4 cup instant milk powder, or coffee creamer Cook, drain, and mash the sweet potatoes, reserving a half cup of the liquid. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Enjoy. III. Baked Sweet Potatoes Ingredients: 1. three cups cubed sweet potatoes. You don't have to peel these. The skins are edible. 2. 3 tbs. olive oil 3. 1 tsp. salt 4. 2 tsp. ground black pepper 5. 2 tsp. lime juice Preheat oven to 375' F. Combine all ingredients in a plastic zipper bag and shake until the sweet potato chunks are evenly covered. Place onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake until lightly browned (about 40 minutes). Serve hot. I don't know about you, but in my house, at Thanksgiving time, I always include both sweet potatoes, and rutabagas in my meal. Sweet potatoes are so much more versatile that just throwing them into a casserole dish with brown sugar, and orange juice, and topped with mini-marshmallows. In fact, that preparation is kind of terrible, IMHO. The sweet potato flavor only needs a touch of enhancement. I also enjoy them cooked whole, in their skins, either baked in the oven, or on a covered grill. And though you see them labeled - yams, at many stores, they are not the same thing. Yams grow on tropical islands, are very starchy, and not sweet at all. Sweet potatoes come in different shades of orange or yellow, and are sweet, and very nutritious. If prepared properly, they are delicious as well. Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North. 3 stars 1 reviews