Exploding potatoes, comments/feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my favorite potato salads is to use early potatoes from the Norland (red), Russian Blues, and Kennebecs dressed with an oil and vinegar dressing and fresh herbs. A very pretty salad. When we've subbed Yukon Gold for Kennebecs, the Yukon Golds are more "mealy" and not as good as the Kennebecs in potato salad.

I don't care for the taste of Yukon Gold either. Kind of metallic.

Possibly due to a higher internal water content just after harvesting which turns to steam when cooking- a bit like pop corn. Try hardening by drying a few days and see if it makes a difference.

podon.........probably, internal water content, yes.

SO tonight, out of a sick curiosity, I baked the last 10 potatoes and YES just now one exploded in the oven.
I thought someone was coming down from upstairs and stepped on something or fell, BUT NO, it was an exploded potato. How nice! (I have another 10 lbs of these)
I didn't stick them with a knife or fork, I did cut 2 of them to remove some areas, I didn't like the look of, while I was washing them. It wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT if another exploded before they finished cooking in the next 10 minutes.

So, having boiled and baked potatoes for 40 years........I'd say, this recently harvested batch, of russets.....is just prone to exploding. Fresh, high moisture content. Now I know.

This is the reason I almost always buy red skin potatoes. They hold their shape and have much more flavor. They can be mashed or cut up for potato salad as well as baking or nuking.

The last few years here in south texas, the red potatoes have tasted like dirt. Since then I have switched to yukon gold, but they sometimes have a bacterial rot in the center. The Michuacana store down the road had giant russets about 1.5 lbs. each at 59 cents a lbs. This I thought was great and I learned a little spanish every time I went there. Definitely a win win, however when we came home from vacation the store was shut down and empty. The only thing I thought of was that someone bought them out. Too bad I always liked their good cheap vegetables. Whoops, sorry about the stream of consciousness.

Russets have higher fat content which makes them a better potato for baking; red-skinned potatoes have a waxier texture which make them a better potato (of the two) for boiling. Gotta love Google U.

FAT? FAT? I just checked with the USDA food nutrient database. According to them one raw medium russet potato has 0.17 Kcal of lipids[fats]. I think you mean starch. When my potatoes start to turn green and maybe sprout alittle, they convert the starch to sugars and get glutinous. This is not good for either baked or mashed potatoes. Russets when unsprouted make absolutely wonderful bakers. Granted, different varieties of potatoes vary in their starch content. This is to be expected.

FAT? FAT? I just checked with the USDA food nutrient database. According to them one raw medium russet potato has 0.17 Kcal of lipids[fats]. I think you mean starch. When my potatoes start to turn green and maybe sprout alittle, they convert the starch to sugars and get glutinous. This is not good for either baked or mashed potatoes. Russets when unsprouted make absolutely wonderful bakers. Granted, different varieties of potatoes vary in their starch content. This is to be expected.

I think she meant to say starch.

I don't like to peel potatoes, who does?

Usually I boil them, 10 or so, around 3 lbs. After they are cooked I peel them--but it is so much easier after boiling. I just scrape them down with the knife. I make mashed potatoes.Sometimes potato salad.

Lately, since the potatoes are 'JUST HARVESTED' they are breaking up when I boil them. At first I thought they broke up because I stuck them with a fork. When I say 'broke up' I mean the skin has split and sometimes they split into part of the potato. This last batch broke up and I didn't stick them with a fork.

So are JUST HARVESTED potatoes more prone to breaking open when boiling? If so, I never knew that. Anyone with experience on this?

I grew up in Connecticut and now that I live in far south texas, I still see newly harvested potatoes sold as new potatoes. However, they are sold at a smaller size and not the bigger sizes you usually see. Perhaps, since the new potatoes are smaller, they won't fragment when boiled. If you are getting large potatoes that are as we say, new then you may have to bite the bullet and have your spouse peel them and dice them and promise him a treat. Good luck, I live where potatoes rot in the ground.

podon.........probably, internal water content, yes. SO tonight, out of a sick curiosity, I baked the last 10 potatoes and YES just now one exploded in the oven.
I thought someone was coming down from upstairs and stepped on something or fell, BUT NO, it was an exploded potato. How nice! (I have another 10 lbs of these)

I am sitting here roaring my head off. We have mundane problems like shootings, murder in the streets. You have exploding potatoes. :ROFLMAO:

If you are getting large potatoes that are as we say, new then you may have to bite the bullet and have your spouse peel them and dice them and promise him a treat.
SERIOUSLY?????:sick::sick::sick:
What do you think I should promise him? A dog treat?
"come on honey peel those potatoes and I'll give you a treat"
What kind of a remark is that anyway?

What kind of 'taters

CSW, what kind of potatoes are gown on PEI? I always try to get them or ones grown in Aroostook County, ME. They just have a better flavor and are good for baking or boiling. :chef:

I play a game with myself when it comes to peeling potatoes. I lean over the sink, and with the water running, and my trusty serrated peeler, I peel each potatoes right over the disposal in one continuous strip. Job done in no time. But them I live alone and peel only one potato for each meal.

Oh and one more thing. Bliss and pmeheran, thanks for my laugh for the day.

Addie said:
I am sitting here roaring my head off. We have mundane problems like shootings, murder in the streets. You have exploding potatoes. :ROFLMAO:

:LOL: That's why we call it Discuss Cooking!

I play a game with myself when it comes to peeling potatoes. I lean over the sink, and with the water running, and my trusty serrated peeler, I peel each potatoes right over the disposal in one continuous strip. Job done in no time. But them I live alone and peel only one potato for each meal.

Oh and one more thing. Bliss and pmeheran, thanks for my laugh for the day.
Blimey soul mate I do that with apples.
I would also like to say that I have read your frank and open posts about your lifestyle.
I dont do sychophancy I cant even spell it but may your winter holidays bring you equations of grandeur and gastronomical delights!:)

Someone asked upthread about using an apple peeler on potatoes--yep, works well. Unscrew the corer/slicer bit from the end of the peeler, unless you want thin slices for something. You will have to peel a few stray bits that the peeler misses.

It works best on round potatoes.

Red potatoes are the way to go for potato salad. They hold their shape and have more flavor. I rarely peel them. It adds to the color of the dish and just seems more rustic.
I've heard that they are better for you unpeeled also. I don't know if this is fact or fiction. I do know I like the taste better with the peels in the dishes.

Back
Top Bottom