"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

Favorite Beet Recipe?

I say if your family is not fond of them then just keep it that way. I hate beets, but being russian I end up making a whole bunch dishes with them and I even eat them, I still hate them.
Here is simple recipe:

1-2 beets (depending on size)
1/3 cup of crushed walnuts
1-2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
salt pepper to taste
last but not least oil or mayo

Boil or bake beets till completely done. Drain and cool. Dice into a small dice or use big holes of the box grader to grade it. Add nuts and garlic. Use oil or mayo, whatever you prefer as a dressing, about a tablespoon or two.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Head Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Word of caution, Beets are very very red. They can stain clothes, your wood cutting board, your hands , carpet ...
Also, if you eat enough of them, your pee can have a tint of red in it too ( kinda scary if your not expecting it, thats why I'm letting you know ahead of time).

That being said, beets are usually very sweet. Raw, they have a carrot- like consistency, usually sweeter than a carrot.

I usually use them to make a beet soup ( Borscht ). Ill have to look around for the recipe though.
I remember being scared out of my mind when my baby girl had red stains in her diaper until I realized it was from the beets I had given her.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Wine Guy

My favorite is probably a simple salad of roasted beets with goat cheese and walnuts. I don't know why, but there is something about that flavor combination that is pure heaven.

I also love borscht.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I say if your family is not fond of them then just keep it that way. I hate beets, but being russian I end up making a whole bunch dishes with them and I even eat them, I still hate them.
Here is simple recipe:

1-2 beets (depending on size)
1/3 cup of crushed walnuts
1-2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
salt pepper to taste
last but not least oil or mayo

Boil or bake beets till completely done. Drain and cool. Dice into a small dice or use big holes of the box grader to grade it. Add nuts and garlic. Use oil or mayo, whatever you prefer as a dressing, about a tablespoon or two.
This seems like a nice recipe to make, thanks for sharing! Do you serve it with anything in particular? Thanksgiving screams mashed potatoes to me, but would beets pair well with rice (white or brown)?

Regarding what larry_stewart mentioned, thanks for the heads up! I could not imagine seeing such a sight, I'd probably start freaking out as well.

Thanks everyone for posting their thoughts! I cannot wait to try and make what you all have suggested.

Need ideas on what to cook or bake tonight? Check us out at:
http://www.rookstocooks.com
Efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Cook

My grandma always ate canned beet salads and they always looked unappealing to me. But as I got older I found some gorgeous golden beets. I grabbed some of those and some red ones and roasted them with brussels sprouts and other root vegetables...was so good. So my vote is to start out with roasting and work your way up to other preparations.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaLee83 View Post
My grandma always ate canned beet salads and they always looked unappealing to me. But as I got older I found some gorgeous golden beets. I grabbed some of those and some red ones and roasted them with brussels sprouts and other root vegetables...was so good. So my vote is to start out with roasting and work your way up to other preparations.
Did you find canned beets to be on par taste wise with fresh beets? When should I go canned vs fresh?

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #17
Cook

I haven't cooked with canned beets, always fresh. My grandma used the canned beets, but I didn't like them when I was little.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaLee83 View Post
I haven't cooked with canned beets, always fresh. My grandma used the canned beets, but I didn't like them when I was little.
Ah, as I thought: Fresh is usually better! I'll be sure to try both kinds just in case, assuming they are on sale. Thanks for the reply~

Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
Cook

I got mine at Sprouts. They had nice red and golden beets.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #20
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain View Post
Did you find canned beets to be on par taste wise with fresh beets? When should I go canned vs fresh?
It's night and day. That's like asking if you've had canned green beans, how did they compare to fresh.

Tags
other, recipe

Favorite Beet Recipe? With the farm stand season winding down I decided to head to a local one before it was too late; after browsing through a few vegetables I came across some freshly picked beets and realized that I have never had beets before. I know people usually have beets for Thanksgiving, but I guess my family was never fond of them. So, I have decided to take it upon myself to make a dish involving beets and I was wondering if any of you have any favorite beet recipes you do not mind sharing. 3 stars 1 reviews