Favorite Mashed Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dumpandstir

Senior Cook
Here is a recipe for great Mashed Potatoes.

3lbs potatoes
1 cup sourcream
1/4 cup Butter
1 or 2 Papa Johns garlic butter cups
1/4 + cup milk, Enough to smooth the potatoes to your liking.

I cut up the potatoes and bring them to a boil. I boil them at a rolling boil for about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mix in the sour cream, butter, and garlic butter. While I am mixing the potatoes with a mixer I add little bits of milk until I get the look I like. I get the Papa Johns Garlic cup when we get their pizza. I won't allow the kids to open the cups because more ends up on them or the floor than on the pizza.

If you really want to increase the heart attack factor then I suggest adding a package of cream cheese.

I make between 3-5 lbs of potatoes for my family so I just dump and stir to get what I want.

My kids devour this.

I do something similar with baked potatoes. Cut the potatoes in half along the length. Scoop the potatoes out of each half while hot - leaving a shell. Mash and add butter, sour cream, milk, finely diced fried bacon, and cheese ( I use whatever soft cheese I have) to make your mashed potatoes. Salt and papper to taste. Pile the potato back in the shell. Re-heat.

Option: Sprinkle grated hard cheese sucn as cheddar over the top and reheat until the cheese begins to melt.

Option: Add a little granulated garlic, or sauted onion to taste. .

Last edited:
Your potatoes, Dumpandstir, might turn out a bit like some I make.

I boil my potatoes with several peeled cloves of garlic, drain all, then mash the potatoes with the garlic, adding butter and sour cream and milk. I season with salt and pepper to taste. Really, really good.

Most times I don't even bother to peel the potatoes.

Katie, mine are almost identical to yours except I heat the milk & butter and add the sour cream to that (off the heat) before adding all to the potatoes and garlic. I find that heating it doesn't cool down the potatoes and makes them smoother and creamier.

But these days, with DH on a strict diet I am down to making my potatoes with chicken stock. I do add garlic and shallots and when I have them, fresh chives.

they're little containers of garlic sauce for dipping that you get with your pizza/breadsticks. yum.

Idaho spuds or yukon golds boiled in salted water with a couple cloves of garlic, rutabaga boiled with broth...combine the drain and combine the two and mash together, using some of the broth if necessary to moisten the mash. Adjust seasoning.

very tasty, little to no fat, lots of great flavor. ---also fries up as a cake or pancake if you got leftovers.

white, red and yukons (sometimes i also add turnip). mashed with butter, half and half, chives and sour cream (or cream cheese and chive spread instead of the sour cream and chives).

Red skin Potatoes
Crumbled Blue cheese
Sourcream
Carmelized Onions
Butter
S & P
One of my instructors in college made them this way and Ive been hooked ever since! lol

Back
Top Bottom