Favorite Summer Sides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drat. My sesame seeds are rancid. Toasted the heck out of them, no resurrection. :(

All these sides sound great! I love refrigerater pickles, recipe varies every time I make them.

I bought a jar of McCormack Sesame seeds many years ago. I used them once and a couple of years later when I was cleaning out, I tossed them. Not because they were rancid, but because they were old. To this day I have never had a need for sesame seeds. (I can't digest them.) Considering that they were a national name brand, would they have gone rancid? They were the white kind. :angel:

I bought a jar of McCormack Sesame seeds many years ago. I used them once and a couple of years later when I was cleaning out, I tossed them. Not because they were rancid, but because they were old. To this day I have never had a need for sesame seeds. (I can't digest them.) Considering that they were a national name brand, would they have gone rancid? They were the white kind. :angel:

Addie, no one can digest them. If they're consumed whole, they just go right through. That's how fiber cleans out the intestines.

Yes, they would have been rancid after sitting in a cabinet for two years. It doesn't matter what brand they are - like other foods, they just won't be fresh after that long.

Addie, no one can digest them. If they're consumed whole, they just go right through. That's how fiber cleans out the intestines.

Yes, they would have been rancid after sitting in a cabinet for two years. It doesn't matter what brand they are - like other foods, they just won't be fresh after that long.

Thank you for the quick response. So glad I tossed them and didn't try to use them again. :angel:

What GG said. I'm keeping mine in the fridge from now on. Like I do with sesame oil and any other nuts and seeds.

I haven't re-read it yet, however, my eating habits have changed a lot in the past 3 years.

One of my staples is avocado. I put it in salads, slice it like a side, make guacamole, or put it in a sandwich. While it is good any time of year, it is one of my summer staples!

Tabouli ( how ever it is spelled, I think I spell it differently each time I write it.
Cucumber salad
Corn on the cob
Fresh tomatoes sliced
Fresh tomato, red onion/ cucumber/ feta salad
String beans ( any way I can make them )
Saute'd zucchini ( with a little butter/ S&P)

These are the ones coming to mind, Im sure Ill add others as I think of them.

I wonder why I never responded three years ago. . .

Potato Salad
Pasta salad
Cucumber salad with sour cream
Asian cucumber salad
Sesame noodles
Corn on the cob
Tossed salad
Grilled zucchini
Tomato avocado salad
Cole slaw

When I make potato salad, I use Maine or P.E.I. potatoes. I find that if cut and seasoned while still warm, they absorb the flavors of the seasonings easier. Celery and onion are finely diced and I toss them with the salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Then I add it all to the diced potato. Mayo is always the last to go in. I also peel the potatoes. My family is not fond of the skins. You get a big "YUK" when they come across them in cold food.

Some wonderful ideas.
Thank you for posting.

I adore salads ranging from Caprese, Fennel with orange or Ruby grapefruit & fresh mint leaves, Rocket (arugula) with Radicchio and a simple vinaigrette, an Antipasto, Ceviche, Tabuli, Quinoa Salad, Greek Salad, Hummus, Babaghanouj, French Gaspacho, Spanish Gazpacho and Tapenade with Kalamata Olives .. Cole Slaw .. An Asian Salad interests me ..

I like to keep it very light and nothing hot.

Have a nice weekend ..

A check mark after everything Larry says, grilled zukes though. Pesto

I haven't made kebabs of any kind lately, so things on sticks sounds good.

7 layer salad if serving a bunch. Iceberg lettuce on the bottom, layer up w/ sliced veggies, cover the top with still frozen peas. Seal completely over with mayo (Dx uses miracle whip w/ a spoonful of sugar), refrigerate. The moisture from the peas somehow works its way to the bottom and really crisps up the lettuce. Top with shredded cheese and I like to add parsley before serving.

This may sound sort of ordinary, but a good BLT ( with avocado or cucumber) is really good in summer.

Last edited:
My favorite sides are BBQ'd brown sugared califlower, BBQ zucchini, poppers or bacon wrapped sprouts.

As well as the typical beans, corn or baked potatoes on the grill.

If going simple, I like a plain bagged salad and raspberry vinegrette.

And I agree, food on a stick sounds yummy.

New potatoes, boiled with dill weed and salt , tossed with chopped dill weed and butter. Favourite summer sidedish.

I've been making a lot of watermelon-feta salad with mint the last couple of years. I sometimes add cucumbers, too: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/watermelon-feta-mint-salad-recipe.html.
0704171955a_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom