"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #21
Master Chef

Thanks, Kayelle, and others for the recipes! I love summer sides, so much so that they sometimes end up being main dishes. I love sauerkraut too, but no one else in my family does. I copied your recipe, Kay. Thank you.

I love marinated cucumbers or asparagus, and use the same ingredients for both...just a mixture of rice wine vinegar, a little sugar, sliced onions, and let 'em marinate for a while. I love 3 (or 4) bean salad, sliced and grilled sweet potatoes, pasta salad with shrimp, noodle salads....guess I better get my faves out to post recipes. lol

One of my fave sides/salads is kades Asian Noodle Salad. Will get recipes together tomorrow.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #22
Master Chef

One or more of these usually turn up at our family potlucks. I don't make them for myself anymore because they all contain a fair amount of sugar.

Claremont Salad Recipe

5 Cup Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Fire and Ice Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Corn Salad/Relish adapted from a recipe by Marion Cunningham.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
6 ribs celery
2 onions

Pickle
1 cup sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t turmeric
2 t celery seed
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Chop the vegetables roughly the size of corn kernels. Put everything into a pot and bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Put hot relish into sterilized jars and refrigerate when cool. This will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks. You can also can it for long term storage by processing in a water bath canner for 10 or 15 minutes. I just put it into a covered dish and refrigerate it overnight, or several days, then serve ice cold.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post

" French" potato salad. Not sure why this is called French. Basically cook sliced skin on red skin potatoes, stir in some sour cream, maybe a little yogurt but no mayo, stir in some sweet onion dice, green onion tops
and maybe some minced dill.

I've tried to prepare potato salad with sour cream or yogurt but it always turns out watery after putting out to serve. How do you keep the thick, rich consistency of sour cream or yogurt ??
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
I've tried to prepare potato salad with sour cream or yogurt but it always turns out watery after putting out to serve. How do you keep the thick, rich consistency of sour cream or yogurt ??
Are you using Greek yogurt? It's been strained, so it has less water. Or you can strain regular yogurt in a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a bowl for a couple of hours.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Certified Cake Maniac

I love corn on the cob and bacon wrapped grilled asparagus. We eat a lot of Greek and Caesar salad in the spring and summer.

I really love Kitchenelf's Mom's Macaroni Salad (a cookout favorite). It has become a staple for our church's week long youth conference where we provide lunches and dinners.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #26
Master Chef

I make a kidney bean salad that never has left overs! It's really easy to make

2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 hard boiled eggs chopped
2-3 Tbs dill relish (can add more or less to taste)

Waldorf salad dressing
1 cup mayo
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cider vinegar

mix well together and add to beans mix

I generally don't use the whole salad dressing mix. It can be saved for another use later. The dressing tends to settle in the bottom of the bowl so be sure to stir well before you serve.

This is the basic recipe and I often double it and still can get rid of it all at a single meal.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
Senior Cook

In the past have used regular plain yogurt but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Are you using Greek yogurt? It's been strained, so it has less water. Or you can strain regular yogurt in a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a bowl for a couple of hours.
....from now on we will use strictly Greek yogurt. We use it on everything else because of the superior consistency and flavor. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
....from now on we will use strictly Greek yogurt. We use it on everything else because of the superior consistency and flavor. Thanks for the suggestion.
Greek yogurt is far superior to the slimy stuff of other brands. It's hard to find full fat ---- some stores don't sell it but it CAN be found.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
Master Chef

Mac salad

Potato salad

Kidney & Cannellini Bean Salad

Pasta Salad

My version of Dragon Lady Sesame Noodles

BTW after the summer is over we will need to start DRAGON LADY'S SESAME NOODLES Rehab ..... again!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I must have been living under a rock. I don't recall any discussions regarding Dragon Lady Noodles.

Hey we must have been under the same rock Whisk, but I don't remember seeing you there, did you see me? Anyway the Dragon Lady noodles sound good. (Thanks for posting Kayelle) wish I had read the post before I cooked rice to go with our stir-fry, these might have worked with it.

We have lots of favorite Summer sides, we like all of the usual suspects and often Greek salad or veggie pasta salad as a side. One unusual one is Swedish Spaghetti Salad and another is a salmon pasta salad that a friend and I made up, I will post them later in the salad section, if I haven't already. :)

Tags
sides