"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
BigAl, cheese is still very much on the menu for me. I'm talking vegetarian, not vegan! I love my meat, too, way too much of a carnivore to give it up for good!

By the way, how you been? You know I moved from Kuwait to the Philippines?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
BigAl, cheese is still very much on the menu for me. I'm talking vegetarian, not vegan! I love my meat, too, way too much of a carnivore to give it up for good!

Good, and how you do'n?

Yep, I saw that and thought about the pho. You know people like me think about everything east of the pond is asian.

You guys happy there?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Good, and how you do'n?

Yep, I saw that and thought about the pho. You know people like me think about everything east of the pond is asian.

You guys happy there?
At least you didn't say "oriental"... It's funny you say that though because the hardest thing we've had about adjusting to life here is the reality that the Philippines is the "least Asian" country of all the countries in Asia.

Am I happy? Happier than a pig in you know what. Got married on the beach last October, bought a house, adopted a bunch of animals and now we're starting a business and I'm finally finding time to cook again! Which is why I've been such a chatterbox here lately, I forgot so much of what I did know and now I'm figuring out what I never knew to begin with.

So back to these veggie recipes....you guys are all giving me some great ideas, thank you!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
So back to these veggie recipes....you guys are all giving me some great ideas, thank you!
not a problem
the other big one in my house is a veggie pot pie. I replace the chicken with a little extra potato...plus my partner loves the potato in it so she always demands more of it.
It's one of those dishes that no one ever seems to miss the meat in it.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
not a problem
the other big one in my house is a veggie pot pie. I replace the chicken with a little extra potato...plus my partner loves the potato in it so she always demands more of it.
It's one of those dishes that no one ever seems to miss the meat in it.
Oohh, that's a good one. I make a pretty mean pot pie but never thought of replacing the chicken with potato. I'll try that next time I make it.

Here's one that I found on All Recipes and modified to make a veggie version:

Vera Cruz Tomatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

My veggie version goes like this:

Ingredients
  • 6-8 small firm, ripe tomatoes (the ones I used were about the size of a roma tomato)
  • 1 very small eggplant, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped green or spring onion
  • 5-10 cloves of garlic (depending on taste), minced
  • 8 ounces fresh spinach, stems snipped
  • 4-5 fresh chilis, diced (we like ours hot!)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup soft tofu*
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 3-5 Tbsp olive oil
*The only sour cream I can buy here is a really liquid consistency, I add soft tofu for firmness, so for regular sour cream you can probably skip the tofu (or keep it for the extra protein!)

Directions
  • Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  • Cut tops from tomatoes; remove seeds and membranes (I keep the membranes and set aside for use in a secondary recipe with the left-overs).
  • Place tomatoes in round glass baking dish. A small round dish is best if using small tomatoes so they can be arranged in a circle to hold each other up.
  • In a large, deep skillet, heat a few tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat.
  • Reduce heat to simmer, then toss the diced eggplant, garlic, spring onion and chilis until coated well. Add the spinach, cook over low heat, stirring frequently to coat, until spinach is wilted.
  • Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and soft tofu. Stir to coat mixture well.
  • Sprinkle tomato shells with salt (if desired, I usually don't); fill evenly with eggplant and spinach mixture.
  • Bake in preheated oven until hot, 20 minutes. Remove, and top evenly with the shredded cheese. Turn oven off, return tomatoes to still heated oven and bake until cheese is melted (3-5 minutes).
I had a lot of leftover stuffing the first time I made this, and converted the remainder (with a few additions) into a really tasty pasta dish. Now whenever I make these tomatoes I make the pasta dish as well. Makes for a nice meal!

I've tried the original AllRecipes version as well, which is made with bacon, but I like my veggie version better.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Grilled cheese on fresh made bread.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Executive Chef

pasta can be served meatless many ways ... a mushroom sauce, garlic oil and cheese, pesto, prima vera. Lasagna is often meatless and many veg can be added to the layers or in the sauce including zucchini, eggplant, spinach, butternut squash, etc.

Various ratatouille recipes can be mains with bread or rice or any number of grains these days.

Chili is easily made veg with different combinations of beans, (I like black pinto and rosales), and using corn and hominy.

roast winter veg with olive oil, thyme, and salt and pepper (perhaps a bit of broth and white wine too) (parsnip rutabaga sweet potato turnip celery root beet root) quite tasty

many Indian curries are meatless.

enjoy
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Have you had a chance to try LPBeier's Mushroom Gratin? It's become quite a favorite for many of the DCers and it is especially delicious and easy too.

Here's the link:

Mushrooms Gratin

It is the first post on the thread.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Have you had a chance to try LPBeier's Mushroom Gratin? It's become quite a favorite for many of the DCers and it is especially delicious and easy too.

Here's the link:

Mushrooms Gratin

It is the first post on the thread.
I'll check it out, thanks! One small thing....I can't get fresh mushrooms here. It truly boggles the mind but I cannot. Will this be just as good with canned mushrooms?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I'll check it out, thanks! One small thing....I can't get fresh mushrooms here. It truly boggles the mind but I cannot. Will this be just as good with canned mushrooms?
Not really. I guess you could try it, drain them well and pat dry, but IMHO canned mushrooms are ugly, gray and practically tasteless rubbery things.

Can't you get dried mushrooms and rehydrate them? Fancy mushrooms make a fancy gratin.

I would think you should be able to find a farmer's market there.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vegetarian