Favorite Vegetarian Entrees?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really. I guess you could try it, drain them well and pat dry, but IMHO canned mushrooms are ugly, gray and practically tasteless rubbery things. :ermm:

Can't you get dried mushrooms and rehydrate them? Fancy mushrooms make a fancy gratin.:chef:

I would think you should be able to find a farmer's market there.
I hate canned mushrooms too, which is why I usually leave out the mushrooms of any recipe that calls for them when I can't get fresh. I've seen dried mushrooms but never thought of rehydrating them. I saw the posts on Edgar's "first attempt" thread about rehydrating chilis....I'll try that and see how it works.

I hate canned mushrooms too, which is why I usually leave out the mushrooms of any recipe that calls for them when I can't get fresh. I've seen dried mushrooms but never thought of rehydrating them. I saw the posts on Edgar's "first attempt" thread about rehydrating chilis....I'll try that and see how it works.

the ONLY time I'll use canned shrooms is if I have nothing else in the house and am making a sauce in which they get sauted.

I highly recommend using dried mushrooms if you can not get the fresh ones. Only use the canned stuff if you have no other options but the taste will truly be lacking.
I honestly don't like mushrooms all together so I leave them out of a great deal of recipes unless it truly brings in what I think to be important flavor

If you do rehydrate dried mushrooms make sure you save the water! It had tons of good flavor. =)

I hope it does. Be sure to save that rehydrating liquid to use in something else. Let us know.:chef:

I do not like vegetables, so to fool my self I make them into soups. The variety is endless. In the soup I actually enjoy them.

Falafel!

I also make a meatless tomato based pasta sauce and add cooked whole chickpeas.

When I was a vegetarian I would often grind cooked, dried beans or chickpeas and use that as a substitute for ground beef.

I still have to try this, but Danes take celery root (celeriac) and other large root vegis; slice them about 1 cm thick; parboil 'til tender and then bread and fry and serve instead of meat. I hear it's really yummy.

All these sound delicious!! I made up a squash soup. Cook the cut squah in oven. In the meantime, stir fry in olive oil, some carrots, celery onions...add some vegetable broth. When cooked, add the squash./ Simmer until all the veggies are cooked, then all in blender. Will probably have to add a bit of water to thin it out. Or skim milk. Add your favourites herbs. Yummy and the orange veggies are good for your eyes!:)

I posted this before but cannot find the thread, so here it is again.

Garlic Pasta

1 lb of pasta (ziti, rigatoni, or spaghetti)

1/4 cup olive oil (I use EVOO)

2 Tbsp butter

5-6 cloves garlic chopped fine

Fresh bail and oregano chopped (about 2 Tbsp each)

Red Pepper flakes (optional)

Grated Parmesan cheese

Broccoli

salt and Pepper

Heat the olive oil and butter over LOW heat until the butter melts.

Add in the garlic and half of each of the basil and oregano and a few turns of fresh black pepper.

Stir to combine.

Leave on LOW to infuse the oil with garlic and herbs.

Cook the pasta to al dente in salted water.

While the pasta is cooking chop up the broccoli and cook to crisp-tender in the microwave.

Drain the pasta.

In a large bowl combine the pasta and broccoli. Pour the infused olive oil over the top and toss
to coat. Add the Parmesan and toss again.

Dish the pasta into individual bowls and sprinkle each with some of the fresh herbs and pepper flakes (if using) and more Parmesan.

Pasta e fagoli...

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add things like mushrooms, peppers if you wish and cook down a bit. Add some red or white wine if you wish. Add a can of diced tomatoes, one can of rinsed Romano beans. Italian herbs, pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes or so until sauce becomes thick. Toss in some hot fresh pasta, parmesan cheese, freah parsley, and mix together. Eat...

Last edited:
Spinach and Beans with Polenta

A Friday night favorite around here is spinach and beans over polenta. Make your polenta by what ever your favorite method may be; I like using the microwave, set on a lowish power and running for a long time to get that creaminess going. You are going to want about 2 cups of polenta for this dish. When you are bored with cooking the polenta and ready to move on, stir into it the cheese(s) of your choice, parm and/or mozz usually, enough cheese to get a good cheese flavor. While the polenta cooks, saute a bunch o'garlic (the "no, go on and throw in the rest of the head", kinda bunch) in olive oil. The olive oil and the cheese are the only high calorie things in this dish, so use enough so that the garlic infused oil gets all through the dish. When the garlic has indeed flavored the oil well, add a can of white beans and heat. Add a box of frozen spinach and let cook until the spinach is thoroughly done. Serve over the polenta in large bowls. Amazing stuff, though you would think not just reading the ingredients.

A Friday night favorite around here is spinach and beans over polenta. Make your polenta by what ever your favorite method may be; I like using the microwave, set on a lowish power and running for a long time to get that creaminess going. You are going to want about 2 cups of polenta for this dish. When you are bored with cooking the polenta and ready to move on, stir into it the cheese(s) of your choice, parm and/or mozz usually, enough cheese to get a good cheese flavor. While the polenta cooks, saute a bunch o'garlic (the "no, go on and throw in the rest of the head", kinda bunch) in olive oil. The olive oil and the cheese are the only high calorie things in this dish, so use enough so that the garlic infused oil gets all through the dish. When the garlic has indeed flavored the oil well, add a can of white beans and heat. Add a box of frozen spinach and let cook until the spinach is thoroughly done. Serve over the polenta in large bowls. Amazing stuff, though you would think not just reading the ingredients.

I have it scribbled down....will get it onto the grocery list. Making this one for sure! Thanks, Nora!

Enjoy, Princess! The "recipe" was given to me by my brother in law who was the executive chef at the Waldorf Astoria in the 50's. It is just the kind of quirky yummy comfort food that those sorts of folks know about and never put on a menu.

Enjoy, Princess! The "recipe" was given to me by my brother in law who was the executive chef at the Waldorf Astoria in the 50's. It is just the kind of quirky yummy comfort food that those sorts of folks know about and never put on a menu.

It does sound like a late night leftover combination...can't wait to try it!.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom