"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Mr. Greenjeans

Funny, I am one of the hosts to a yard party next weekend and I have been asked to author up some vegetarian fare.

Are you looking for vegan and vegetarian?

Dang, in the middle of typing I realized that I never measured anything for my first recipe. I just winged it and it comes out fine. I will save it for a time after I make it again and actually measure. Look forward to
"5 mushroom and leek casserole".
anyway, next recipe...

Yesterday I was experimenting with portobello mushroom caps...

Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
(to be used as a burger substitute at the party)

Clean (remove the gills) of four large portobello caps. Set to the side.

Marinade... (good for four caps)
3/4 cup marsala wine
2 Tbls olive oil
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp celery salt

Put all ingredients in a zip lock bag and mix. Add the caps and remove as much air as possible. (I use a straw to suck out the air)

Let marinate at room temp for 3 hours.

Stuffing...

I bought a bag of stuffing (sage and onion) but really all I was looking to do was follow my mother-in-law's recipe without any meat. So pick a stuffing recipe and wing it. I will list mine.

2 1/2 cups stuffing mix
1 to 1 1/2 cups tomato vegetable stock (easily made by adding a can of diced tomatoes to your vegetable stock recipe)
1/4 cup paperthin cut carrots
1/4 cup paperthin cut celery
1/4 tsp onion powder (yes you can use any amount of real onion you want, I am allergic so dried pulverized powder is what I have to use)
salt and pepper to taste

Sweat the carrots and celery in a small amount of any oil you feel comfortable with, I used Olive. While they are sweating, heat your broth to a low boil. Place the dry stuffing mix in a mixing bowl that is double the volume of the mix (you need to room to stir). When the veggies are sweated and tender, add the onion powder and salt and pepper, give a stir to mix and then pour the sweat (oil and all) into the stuffing mix. Give it a good mix and then add the broth and mix again. Set to the side for 5 minutes for the broth to fully rehydrate the stuffing.

I grilled the caps on the low heat side of the charcoal grill, flipping several times so as to cook evenly but not char. Then, using the caps as a size guide I made stuffing patties with my hands and placed them inside the caps. Cover the grill and let the stuffing come up to temp and get a little crisp on the top.

Finally, add the sliced cheese of your choice. I had two with smoked swiss and two with provolone.

I plan on serving these on toasted buns.

P.S. you can do this whole thing in the oven at 450.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Bigdaddy, those mushrooms sound really good. There's a natural tendency to over compensate with cheese when asked to cook meatless. Back when I ate dairy, I used to dread trainings, etc where lunch was provided. They usually had some vegetarian option that was swimming with cheese. Great job. I think I'll be trying those soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Right now my favorite is using Lentils as a substitute for hamburger in tacos, buritoes ect. I am a meat eater but love lentils.

vyaptivyapti
The idea came from this post at vyapti's Blog:
My Veggie Kitchen: Lentil Bean Dip and Taco Filling
Why, thank you . I'll be making some of those tomorrow for tacos.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I made this over the weekend. My daughter had her 9th birthday party on Friday and she wanted quiche. So I made quiche for the kids and this for the adults. It had a goodly amount of heat, which I was looking forward to because of my kid-free opportunity.

Cajun Mushrooms with Andouille:
Seitan Andouille Sausage:

Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Master Chef

Frankly, I like to use cheese in many of my vegetarian recipes because, well - I LOVE cheese - lol!! I don't feel like I'm over-compensating for anything at all. In addition, for vegetarians, cheese offers an excellent source of protein, especially if the recipe doesn't contain any other protein sources.

What I object to in many of the vegetarian recipes I come across is the propensity to use "fake" meat products. I'll never understand the necessity for all these "fake meat" items made from soy products & various chemicals. Their sodium levels are through the roof, most of them taste somewhat funky, & I certainly wouldn't be giving up meat for any of them - lol!! I'm not talking about seasoned tofu, tempeh, or wheat gluten products - just the fake "meatballs", "burgers", etc., etc.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
What I object to in many of the vegetarian recipes I come across is the propensity to use "fake" meat products. I'll never understand the necessity for all these "fake meat" items made from soy products & various chemicals. Their sodium levels are through the roof, most of them taste somewhat funky, & I certainly wouldn't be giving up meat for any of them - lol!! I'm not talking about seasoned tofu, tempeh, or wheat gluten products - just the fake "meatballs", "burgers", etc., etc.
Some of the ingredient lists would give a Monsanto executive a queasy stomach. And they're expensive too.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Mr. Greenjeans

YEAH! And if vegetarianism is so good and good for you why would you need FAKE meat.

I think fake meat is a crutch for people who don't want to put out the effort to truely go veg.

BD ex vegan
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
YEAH! And if vegetarianism is so good and good for you why would you need FAKE meat.

I think fake meat is a crutch for people who don't want to put out the effort to truely go veg.

BD ex vegan

Thank you to everyone who has posted all of these delicious recipes. Please keep them coming. I can't wait to try some of them out!

In response to the people who have been commenting against fake meat, here's my opinion on it. I've been vegetarian for almost 3 years and my boyfriend has been almost 5 years. We are not vegan, just vegetarian. We eat animal products like eggs, honey, and dairy but stay away from the meat. When we first became vegetarian, our only options were vegetables or tofu, which most people prepare wet and undercooked which ends up being disgusting. We are lucky enough to live in Boston, which has solely vegetarian restaurants and almost every place you go to has at least one vegetarian option.

Onto the imitation meat. Soy in high levels can cause problems such as ovarian cysts in women so when I'm looking for meat substitutes, I try to stay away from the soy-based ones. The company Quorn has amazing substitutes made of mycoprotein that are soy free. A big concern with eating the fake meats is absolutely the sodium levels. When we cook with them, we do whatever we can to not add any extra sodium because yes, they are already very high in the imitation meats. They're just a great option to easily substitute things without using vegetables or tofu. We can make chicken parmesan and all of my favorite meals growing up and they end up tasting pretty much the same. It's an awesome thing to have available on the market and they also encourage meat-eaters to try something different. I have so many friends who I have served imitation meat to that claim they would have no idea that it wasn't the real thing if they hadn't been told.

All I'm saying is don't knock it til you try it. Tofu and veggies can get boring sometimes. It's not about not liking the taste of meat; it's about not liking the meat industry.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans

If you eat eggs, you can make your own veggie patties that will put Morning star to shame. TO SHAME!

Oh man, grind up egg plant, zuchini, carrots, add oatmeal and a bit of corn meal, put that egg in there... My mouth is watering!!!

I totally forgot about the mushrooms! cook them first before grinding and add them in! Oh so good. Still too veggie? Throw some mashed beans (any kind) into the mix. Oh my stomach is growling!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

Well, I've tried it, so I reserve the right to knock it - lol!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade View Post

All I'm saying is don't knock it til you try it. Tofu and veggies can get boring sometimes. It's not about not liking the taste of meat; it's about not liking the meat industry.
I think what some people are trying to say is that it is pointless to have a meat substitute if you are trying to not eat meat. If you are taking rice and beans and other things and using those to make fake meat then why not just eat the rice and beans and other things without pretending that they are meat.

Tags
None