"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
Head Chef

I would not know where to start the list of my favorite vegetarian dishes. There are certain cuisines in the world that have such fabulous vegetarian food that you would never miss meat. Example Indian cuisine. In addition, italian, mexican and south asian recipes (thai, chinese etc.) also can be tweaked so that you have a great vegetarian entree.

Some of my favorites ( I am unable to post recipes here but you can PT me if you'd like recipes for any of these) are:

- Dal and Rice (Beans and Rice)
- Palak Paneer (Spinach made with homemade cheese)
- Cauliflower Manchurian (similar to orange chicken but cauliflower is the main ingredient)
- Vegetarian Chow Mein
- Vegetarian Samosas
- Vegetarian Eggrolls, Rice paper rolls, lettuce wraps
- Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes)
- Spicy Okra (my hard core non-veg kids cannot get enough of these)
- Pakoras (fried fritters)
- Vegetarian Pulao with Raita (Basmati rice chock full of vegetables) and a cool yogurt sauce
- Eggplants - I love Moussaka, Bharta (indian style eggplant preparation), Eggplant Parmesean, Baby Eggplants cooked in a delicious tamarind, peanut sauce
- Thai style vegetarian coconut curry
- Burritos with black beans, corn and spicy salsa
- Vegetarian kofta curry - Delicious creamy curry made with vegetarian dumplings
- Spicy Aloo - Simple potatoes cooked with onions and spices. In India we used to make this in the summer. Normally we would have this with some mango puree on the side. So one bowl with a sweet mango puree and some with the potatoes and fresh poori's (fried puffy bread), you dip the warm poori into the cold mango and take a bite, then you take another bite with the poori and spicy potatoes. This is what I miss the most about my childhood, the food.

The list would probably go on and on into things that you would have never heard of. These are just some top of mind things that I have made many many times.

This weekend I have atleast 40 people over and I am preparing an all vegetarian dinner menu. Wish me luck :-)

Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
Head Chef

I posted a few good vegetarian recipes in this thread:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...nge-54249.html

Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
I would not know where to start the list of my favorite vegetarian dishes. There are certain cuisines in the world that have such fabulous vegetarian food that you would never miss meat. Example Indian cuisine. In addition, italian, mexican and south asian recipes (thai, chinese etc.) also can be tweaked so that you have a great vegetarian entree.

Some of my favorites ( I am unable to post recipes here but you can PT me if you'd like recipes for any of these) are:

- Dal and Rice (Beans and Rice)
- Palak Paneer (Spinach made with homemade cheese)
- Cauliflower Manchurian (similar to orange chicken but cauliflower is the main ingredient)
- Vegetarian Chow Mein
- Vegetarian Samosas
- Vegetarian Eggrolls, Rice paper rolls, lettuce wraps
- Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes)
- Spicy Okra (my hard core non-veg kids cannot get enough of these)
- Pakoras (fried fritters)
- Vegetarian Pulao with Raita (Basmati rice chock full of vegetables) and a cool yogurt sauce
- Eggplants - I love Moussaka, Bharta (indian style eggplant preparation), Eggplant Parmesean, Baby Eggplants cooked in a delicious tamarind, peanut sauce
- Thai style vegetarian coconut curry
- Burritos with black beans, corn and spicy salsa
- Vegetarian kofta curry - Delicious creamy curry made with vegetarian dumplings
- Spicy Aloo - Simple potatoes cooked with onions and spices. In India we used to make this in the summer. Normally we would have this with some mango puree on the side. So one bowl with a sweet mango puree and some with the potatoes and fresh poori's (fried puffy bread), you dip the warm poori into the cold mango and take a bite, then you take another bite with the poori and spicy potatoes. This is what I miss the most about my childhood, the food.

The list would probably go on and on into things that you would have never heard of. These are just some top of mind things that I have made many many times.

This weekend I have atleast 40 people over and I am preparing an all vegetarian dinner menu. Wish me luck :-)
Ok did anyone else find this detailed description to be pure torture? Yakuta you are mean and I'll be over for dinner at 6:30.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Ok did anyone else find this detailed description to be pure torture? Yakuta you are mean and I'll be over for dinner at 6:30.
Yes it made me hungry! All of those recipes sound absolutely delicious!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I am an omnivore, but I take my veg seriously. Often meat is no more than a flavoring. And with such cuisines as the American Southwest, Latino, Asian be it middle east, Indian, or Far Eastern, the variety of purely vegetable foods is inspiring. And we forget just how good Euro veg cooking can be from the simple saute of mushrooms and shallots in good oil on toast, to roasted root veg in winter or ratatouille in summer.

I am a supporter of the slow food movement, and agree totally with those of you who say don't mimic meat.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I am a supporter of the slow food movement, and agree totally with those of you who say don't mimic meat.
I think, at least for me, processed meat substitutes aren't necessarily healthy and I try to avoid them. In the same way frozen pizzas, tv dinners, or beef & cheese burritos aren't healthy and should be avoided.

the home made meat analogs that I make have ingredients I can pronounce, they are generally low in fat, high in protein and have more fiber than any piece of meat. . . and I don't have to clog my arteries or kill a cow. The source of a piece of food is far more important in my opinion than what it looks like.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #27
Master Chef

AND if you don't feel like cooking there are two lines of Indian foods that are pretty darned good, IMO. Kitchens of India I think is my favorite line, using Patak's condiments and some basmati rice. On my "working" days, nuking a meal from these sources satisfies us. Yes, even us omnivores can take a day or two off from eating meat and enjoy it.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
Master Chef

I use both Patak & Trader Joe's sauces for quicky-but-good Indian fare - Tandoori, Vindaloo, Korma, etc. They work well with meat/poultry/seafood, tofu, & veggies just as well, & are easy to "tweak" to your personal taste.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I really like this recipe, an original, been thinking about making it soon cause I have onions out the wazoo, but need to score some corn tortillas first..
Cheese and Bean Enchiladas Serves 12

Enchilada Sauce

3 T. olive or vegetable oil Blend oil and butter in sauce
3 T. butter pan over low heat. Stir in
4 T. flour flour.
Add:
2 cups tomato sauce (I use 1 quart tomato juice in place of sauce
1 cups water and water)
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. chili powder
1 T. honey or syrup

Blend thoroughly and remove from heat.

To assemble a 9x13 pan of enchiladas, you will need:

1 16 oz. can refried beans
2 Cups chopped onions
One pound sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
Corn tortillas, approx. 12 depending on size of tortilla

Spread cup sauce on bottom of greased baking dish.
Layer with corn tortillas to cover bottom. Add 1 Cup diced onions and half of the cubed cheddar cheese, dot with half the can of refried beans. Spread 1/3 sauce. Add more corn tortillas, the rest of the onions, cheddar cheese, refried beans and 1/3 sauce. Top with final layer of corn tortillas and rest of sauce. Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes or until bubbly hot.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Thank you for all these wonderful vegetarian recipes!

Tags
None