"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Favorite Vegetarian Recipes

I'm sad that there is no vegetarian forum in the specific chat & recipes forum. There are enough vegetarian cooks out there to warrant that.

Anyways, my boyfriend and myself are both vegetarian and love love love to cook. We have gotten very good at substituting meat ingredients in recipes with vegetarian alternatives and the vegetarian products available in the supermarket make it that much more easier. It's not just tofu anymore.

I want to compile a list of great vegetarian recipes, so:

What is your favorite vegetarian recipe?

jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Favorite? That's tough...

Ratatouille w/couscous?
Grilled cheese and sliced dills on Pumpernickel?
My latest fave is a vegetarian version of a coquille st jacques substituting morels and dry riesling for the scallops and Sauterne.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I've got a blog full of 'em. I make tempeh or chickpea burgers and freeze them, lots of pastas ranging from Bolognese to Stroganoff, and lots of curries and stir fries. I also make my own seitan, including ribs, roasts and sausages. Last Friday, I made Cajun Mushrooms with Andouille & rice.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking too.
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Master Chef
I'm not a vegetarian (actually, at one time I think we did have a vegetable/vegetarian format), but have favorite meatless meals. First of all, whenever I'm visiting my mom, she requests what she calls "Claire's ratatouille". That is to say, when the rest of the group are eating grilled meat, I halve or thickly slice zuchini (courgetttes), eggplant (aubergine), onions of all kinds, tomatoes. Actually any kind of vegetable you like. I toss with good olive oil and my favorite garlic seasoning, then, before the meat goes on, I grill them quickly on very hot coals. At the last minute some good tomatoes. I put them in a bowl covered with foil and they keep easily until the meat is done. Yes, I know, I know. I chop the veggies coarsely, and they turn out to be a pretty hearty meal for my non-meat-eating friends and family when supplemented with corn on the cob, potatoes, pasta, or rice. When we were on the road, it would crack me up that older, die-hard meat and potato type campers would stop at our site and wonder what I had on the barbecue that smelled so good. Huh? Vegetables.

The leftover grilled veggies can be pureed in the food processor and used as a flavoring for bean/split pea soup. The problem, if you want to call it that, with this is that you can swear on the bible and your mom's grave (luckily, I can't do that) that there is no ham or other smoked meat in the soup and some vegetarians will not believe you.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Although I'm not a vegetarian either, at one time I did experiment with grilling a large portobello mushroom cap, stuffing it with cheese, diced mild pepper and diced tomato, and serving it between the halves of a hamburger bun. It was surprisingly good (to my taste.)
Never trust a skinny chef!
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Head Chef
Right now my favorite is using Lentils as a substitute for hamburger in tacos, buritoes ect. I am a meat eater but love lentils.

The idea came from this post at vyapti's Blog:
My Veggie Kitchen: Lentil Bean Dip and Taco Filling
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
We actually used to have a vegetarian forum here, but removed it after we received numerous complaints from our vegetarians here that they felt singled out and that the forum was unnecessary since we have sections for vegetables, grains, breads, dairy, fruits, etc. Part of their complaint was that our forums are broken down into food types and vegetarian is not a food type, it is a lifestyle. It would be very confusing to try to find a recipe or information if you did not know what section of the board to check. If we had a vegetarian forum then there would be two places to look for the same recipe. For instance, if you had a bean recipe, would you look in the beans section of the board or the vegetarian section of the board? The vegetarian section would have many different food types all combined together and that would just be messy and confusing.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Master Chef
Here's one of our favorite vegetarian dishes. I usually serve it with a green salad & some crusty bread, but it can also be used as a side dish.

(adapted from "365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian")

One 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 24-ounce or so package frozen Potatoes O'Brien (frozen diced potatoes mixed with onion & peppers), thawed
1 medium fresh tomato, diced – OR - 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, or dried & reconstituted - chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
8-ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade, & coarsely dice. In a large skillet, heat reserved artichoke marinade over medium heat. Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in thawed potato mixture, tomato, & diced artichoke hearts. Add in salt, cayenne pepper, mozzarella, & beaten egg. Scrape mixture into a generously oiled or buttered 2-quart baking dish, sprinkle grated parmesan on top & cover tightly with foil.

Bake approximately 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender & casserole is heated through. Remove foil & bake an additional 5-10 minutes until lightly browned on top. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving. If served hot, can be spooned out; if at room temp can be cut into squares.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Master Chef
Here's another favorite that I made just the other day with some fabulous Poblano peppers from the farmer market:

6 – 8 fresh green poblano peppers (depending on their size and your appetite)
1 brown paper bag, food-safe plastic bag, or bowl with plastic wrap to cover that will comfortably hold peppers
2 – 3 tablespoons of grated cheese PER PEPPER, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or – if you like extra heat – one of the “hot pepper” cheeses now on the market. A standard-size block of any two of the above should give you more than enough cheese to stuff 6 – 8 peppers.
One 8-ounce can of plain tomato sauce spiked with dried oregano & granulated garlic to taste, or one 10 oz. can of red enchilada sauce

Preheat broiler for approximately ten minutes. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with oil and place peppers on it with space between them. Broil, turning frequently, until all sides of the peppers are black and blistered. Place peppers in paper or plastic bag, or in plastic-wrap covered bowl and allow to sit for approximately 15 - 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle comfortably. One by one, gently peel blistered skin off of peppers (this may be done under a GENTLE stream of cold running water). Leaving the stem intact, gently cut a lengthwise slit in each pepper and carefully remove seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grate cheese(s) and set aside. Using any baking dish that will comfortably hold the peppers in a single layer, coat the bottom with half the sauce. Carefully stuff approx. 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated cheese into each pepper and place on top of sauced dish. Top with a drizzle of the remaining sauce and any leftover or extra grated cheese.

Bake uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes, or until peppers are heated through and cheese is melted. Remove from oven & allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Served with or on top of your favorite Spanish/Mexican/yellow rice, with beans, and a green salad; this makes a nice, lively vegetarian entrée.

***This is sometimes easier said than done. Don’t have a heart attack if your peppers tear a bit here and there. Once they are stuffed with cheese and everything is melted and oozing together – no one will know the difference.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
Master Chef
And one more favorite for good measure:

Mushroom Stroganoff (adapted from "The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two")

1/4# fresh Shitake mushrooms
1/4# fresh Oyster mushrooms
1/4# fresh Cremini mushrooms
1/2# fresh White Button mushrooms
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
Pinch of dried thyme or approx. a teaspoon of chopped fresh leaves
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1-1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
8-ounce container sour cream
2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
1/4-cup dry sherry
1# or so of wide egg noodles
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Butter to toss with egg noodles

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, & toss with a few tablespoons of butter & the poppyseeds. Cover & set aside.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly under running water, trim, (removing any tough stems from the Shitake & Oyster mushrooms), & slice thickly. In a large skillet, saute onion in the 4 tablespoons butter until transparent, then add mushrooms & continue cooking until they have released their excess moisture & it's starting to evaporate. Add thyme, chicken broth, & 3 tablespoons of the sour cream, lower heat, & simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add brandy, sherry, salt & pepper to taste, & the rest of the sour cream, stirring gently just until sour cream is heated thru. Do not overheat or sauce will curdle, but this is just an appearance issue & won't affect the taste. Taste & correct seasoning if necessary.

Serve over noodles with a green salad & crusty bread on the side.

(Although the sour cream "might" curdle a little, leftovers are just as tasty nuked in the microwave for lunch the next day.)