Favorite way for tasty fresh veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw this veggie grilling basket that thought I'd tag onto this thread. It's much like mine, only better (stainless steel). Can't go wrong with a great price, and free shipping.

CHEFS Barbeque Grilling Tray | CHEFScatalog.com

Chef" catalog has some very nice, if pricey cooking tools, from pans, to knives, to bottle openers. I've purchased several items from the catalog, and have been impressed with the quality of each item. Can't afford to purchase much though. I have to save for things like the giant lasagna pan. Actually, the most expensive items were purchased by DW for me, as Christmas gifts. Where she was able to save the money for them is a mystery that I may not want the answer to.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Great posts and pics! Grilling veggies over the outdoor grill with a grilling basket is one of the more flavorful and healthful way to prepare your veggies.

I make char-grilled fajitas (recipe forthcoming) and put the following vegetables into a grilling basket: Corn, green/red bell peppers, diagonally sliced zucchini, yellow squash, onions, and occasionally mushrooms. I only use 3-4 simple ingredients: Lemon juice, chili powder, garlic salt and olive oil. I let'em marinate all day in a tightly lidded container before cooking. I grill the veggies over very high heat as lightly scorching the veggies does something really special to the flavor and texture.

Chef" catalog has some very nice, if pricey cooking tools, from pans, to knives, to bottle openers. I've purchased several items from the catalog, and have been impressed with the quality of each item. Can't afford to purchase much though. I have to save for things like the giant lasagna pan. Actually, the most expensive items were purchased by DW for me, as Christmas gifts. Where she was able to save the money for them is a mystery that I may not want the answer to.:LOL:

Some questions are best left unanswered.

Chefs Catalog has some great stuff. It is the first place I go to for any needed item. (Also my wish list.) My daughter has that giant lasagna pan. You can feed an army with that. But it has held up over the years and still looks like new. The problem is storage. Although all your other pans can fit in it. So worth the money. So start dropping hints now. It will take DW that long to save for it.

If you gave a wife a present like that, she would be insulted. But for a cooking male fool, it is a piece of heaven. :angel:

Some questions are best left unanswered.

Chefs Catalog has some great stuff. It is the first place I go to for any needed item. (Also my wish list.) My daughter has that giant lasagna pan. You can feed an army with that. But it has held up over the years and still looks like new. The problem is storage. Although all your other pans can fit in it. So worth the money. So start dropping hints now. It will take DW that long to save for it.

If you gave a wife a present like that, she would be insulted. But for a cooking male fool, it is a piece of heaven. :angel:

She bought me that pan several years back. Then she got me a crazy good chef's knife, and then had it lazer-engraved with my name on it. She knows how to pick presents. :mrgreen:

Now that she's beading like a crazy woman, I have been able to get her better, more useful gifts. That's a good thing. Oh, I imagine that the new TV's, and VCR's, and DVD recorders/players were all very appreciated over the years, as that's what she did, all the time. I'm happy that she's found something that she can do. And she's very good at.

At one craft show, there were several vendors attending over a three day period. No sales were made, except by DW. She sold $300 worth of her work. Everyone else wondered why she got all the sales. I didn't wonder. I know what kind of talent she has. She just had to be coaxed into using it.

Sprinkled with a light coating of EVOO and then oven roasted at 350F. I may give carrots, turnips and other root veggies a 30 minute head start but I then add all of the rest of whatever I have available:
Onions, squash of all varieties, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, celery, asperigus, potato and large mushrooms.
Items I won't add are peppers of any kind. It's simply a personal taste and choice.

A great way to make raw beetroot tasty (and even more healthy than it already is too) is to grate the chilled and peeled beetroot into a salad bowl. Add lemon juice (and oil if liked) to taste with crushed garlic. Rechill for about an hour before eating.

This salad is not just delicious by purifies the blood (both the beetroot and the garlic whilst the lemon is an anti inflammatory in action).

Another way is to roast the raw beetroot, e.g. in chunks alongside roasting other root veg. It enhances the flavour of the beetroot.

Last edited:
A great way to make raw beetroot tasty (and even more healthy than it already is too) is to grate the chilled and peeled beetroot into a salad bowl. Add lemon juice (and oil if liked) to taste with crushed garlic. Rechill for about an hour before eating.

This salad is not just delicious by purifies the blood (both the beetroot and the garlic whilst the lemon is an anti inflammatory in action).

Another way is to roast the raw beetroot, e.g. in chunks alongside roasting other root veg. It enhances the flavour of the beetroot.

Or in the US, it's just beets (the root is assumed). At least I think that's what you're talking about.

Tonight we had brussels sprouts. My wife does them by sautéing them in olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar (there may be something else there, but that's the main thing. Anyway they are very good. :yum:

This time of year is wonderful for oven roasting or grilling fresh produce. My favorite are oven roasted tomatoes that I then puree into sauce. All you need are tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. The flavor is amazing!

Attachments

• roastedts.JPG
    roastedts.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 69
We have about 8 small heirloom varieties of tomatoes in the garden. This time of year there are hundreds.
My method is to wash them all (about a hundred at a time and they are all small varieties) in a quick bath of cold water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice then a quick rinse.
I pick off the little green stem pieces attached to the tomatoes BUT I leave a dozen or so stems attached. There is a TON of tomato flavor in theses little pieces of stem.
I dump the whole lot uncut into a large heavy bottomed stock pot. I add no water at all. I add about 2 T's of brown sugar and 2 T's of white wine vinegar.
1 T of dried chili flakes and a pinch of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
I simmer the tomatoes very low and slow for a couple of hours.
Then I put the tomatoes through a fine sieve to remove all the seeds and skins both of which lend a bitter note.
Depending on the consistency I may or may not further reduce the now sauce. Then into the fridge overnight to cool then into Ziploc freezer bags which are carefully laid flat one on the other in the freezer. The next day when they have all frozen solid I arrange the Ziplocks in the freezer like books on a self. I do this a few times as the tomatoes ripen. I end up with what I can turn into an excellent ketchup or pasta sauce or whatever recipe calls for a tomato sauce.
Note I do not add basil. Sometimes I don't want the basil flavor. And it's always better to add fresh basil after heating up the tomato sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom