Favorite way for tasty fresh veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great thread!

Like PF, I'm still experimenting with oven roasting fresh vegetables. I need to try the marinade using some acid and a source of heat/spice!

I have been trying to work more vegetables into my breakfast routine and this might be a nice way to add a little variety. I look for things I can make ahead and quickly reheat or add to a simple jumbot/omelet. I'm trying to cut down on the B-A-C-O-N ! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I love veggies mixed in with my eggs. I buy a lot of frozen veggies, and when the bag gets empty and there are all the little broken pieces down at the bottom, I have a freezer bag in the freezer with all the little pieces of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, and asparagus. When I am scrambling my eggs, I just scoop in some of these little pieces. A delicious breakfast and nothing going to waste.

That's what I figured, but if vegis are shocked after steaming, aren't they cold?

Absolutely. That is why I then saute them in oil with my flavoring of choice, to warm them back up and if I choose, caramelize them a little.

Absolutely. That is why I then saute them in oil with my flavoring of choice, to warm them back up and if I choose, caramelize them a little.
Okay, got it. You are par steaming the vegis. I thought you were cooking them by steaming. Now it all makes sense.

I steam them, then toss them onto my plate to eat. If the ice water wants a taste, it can get its own. I don't like waiting. And besides, I still want them hot enough for the butter to melt. :angel:

I'm having the first bowl of the latest oyster stew. Heavenly.

I only heated the oysters until they were just starting to ruffle. That way, I can reheat subsequent bowls in the microwave without overcooking them.

I'll put them in the fridge overnight to let the flavors grow.

It's early yet, so I'll still have to make something for dinner. I've got plenty of choices, so I'll pick something later when I get hungry again.

When shopping on the way home from the stables and found some UK-grown asparagus. First of the season. Thin baby spears just begging to be steamed simply and served with melted butter. I had a sorting out in the chest freezer yesterday and found a lonely 4 bird roast - chicken, goose, duck and turkey - left unused since Christmas. Needed eating so I thawed it and having it for dinner tonight with roast potatoes and "garden" peas and the asparagus for my first course (hate the use of the word "starters"). Serendipity indeed. Fruit for dessert.

The 4 birds will last me for most of the coming week!

Last edited:
Great thread!

Like PF, I'm still experimenting with oven roasting fresh vegetables. I need to try the marinade using some acid and a source of heat/spice!

I have been trying to work more vegetables into my breakfast routine and this might be a nice way to add a little variety. I look for things I can make ahead and quickly reheat or add to a simple jumbot/omelet. I'm trying to cut down on the B-A-C-O-N ! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

For me, I love the flavor of the veggie as well. For fresh rutabaga, I dice, boil 'til tender, then mash with butter and a touch of brown sugar and a hint of pepper.

Green beans get steamed until they are nearly soft through. But they should have a bit of crunch, and be served with butter. Though I sometimes like them with a good Hollindaise sauce.

Asparagus gets steamed, and served with butter, Hollindaise, or cheese sauce.

Corn is microwaved in the husk until piping hot, but still crisp.

Spuds - too many great ways to make them to have a favorite.

Cabbage - juicy, even wet cole slaw, very cold, or in New England Boiled Dinner.

Carrots, steamed in large chunks cut from the whole, peeled carrot. Dressed with a touch of honey butter.

Beets - boiled with a bit of vinager and sugar. Beet jucie is thickened to a sauce with cornstarch slurry. Or, grate the raw beet into a good slaw.

Celery - too many to count

Onion - I put in everything but my pancakes, almost. It's my most used savory flavor.

celery root - in broth-based soups.

If I were to make an exhaustive list, I would no long be Chief Longwind. I'd be the never-ending breeze.:LOL:

Each veggie has a "best" way to prepare it. But I love almost all veggies. And I use just about every cooking/prep method you could think of to prepare them.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For me, I love the flavor of the veggie as well. For fresh rutabaga, I dice, boil 'til tender, then mash with butter and a touch of brown sugar and a hint of pepper.

Green beans get steamed until they are nearly soft through. But they should have a bit of crunch, and be served with butter. Though I sometimes like them with a good Hollindaise sauce.

Asparagus gets steamed, and served with butter, Hollindaise, or cheese sauce.

Corn is microwaved in the husk until piping hot, but still crisp.

Spuds - too many great ways to make them to have a favorite.

Cabbage - juicy, even wet cole slaw, very cold, or in New England Boiled Dinner.

Carrots, steamed in large chunks cut from the whole, peeled carrot. Dressed with a touch of honey butter.

Beets - boiled with a bit of vinager and sugar. Beet jucie is thickened to a sauce with cornstarch slurry. Or, grate the raw beet into a good slaw.
Celery - too many to count

Onion - I put in everything but my pancakes, almost. It's my most used savory flavor.

celery root - in broth-based soups.

If I were to make an exhaustive list, I would no long be Chief Longwind. I'd be the never-ending breeze.:LOL:

Each veggie has a "best" way to prepare it. But I love almost all veggies. And I use just about every cooking/prep method you could think of to prepare them.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love them like this. My mother used to make these for me all the time. In the summer she would can them like this.

Easy As 1-2-3 Harvard Beets Recipe - Food.com - 372772
:angel:

I am waiting for the local asparagus and peas to appear at the farmers market. When I was a kid my Grandmother used to cook them with as little water as possible then add whole milk, a knob of butter and S&P. She also used this method on green beans.

Another simple vegetable dish is a combination of carrots, celery and onions steamed together. Dress them with butter, a drizzle of honey or a little soy sauce. I always have these three vegetables on hand and I make this as a quick musgoe, to clean out the crisper. Save the steaming liquid for the soup bucket in the freezer! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I love them like this. My mother used to make these for me all the time. In the summer she would can them like this.

Easy As 1-2-3 Harvard Beets Recipe - Food.com - 372772
:angel:

We stained more than one tablecloth with those Harvard beets! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I like to drain a can of beets and put them into leftover sweet pickle juice for a couple of days. They are great hot or cold! These days I use a sugar free B&B pickle from Mt. Olive, works fine.

I keep a can of sliced beets in the fridge and when I want a snack, I open it, drain it and then put HV Ranch Dressing on them.

Another favorite of the family's is creamed carrots with just a touch of nutmeg in the white sauce. :angel:

I've posted a couple recipes (one was buried in another thread; I just posted it separately) and just posted another one that I make a lot. I prefer grilled or roasted vegetables to steamed; steamed veg always taste watery and washed out to me. Dry heat evaporates extra moisture, concentrating the flavor of the veggies, and also adds yummy browned and charred bits :yum: Finishing with a nice splash of lemon juice, white or dark balsamic vinegar or a vinaigrette makes them extra delicious.

So here are a few recipes I like:

Great thread!

You can saute peppers and onions, etc., ahead of time to make a Denver omelet and use naturally low-fat smoked ham instead of bacon :yum:

I've posted a couple recipes (one was buried in another thread; I just posted it separately) and just posted another one that I make a lot. I prefer grilled or roasted vegetables to steamed; steamed veg always taste watery and washed out to me. Dry heat evaporates extra moisture, concentrating the flavor of the veggies, and also adds yummy browned and charred bits :yum: Finishing with a nice splash of lemon juice, white or dark balsamic vinegar or a vinaigrette makes them extra delicious.

Thanks for sharing those recipes. :flowers:

I soo agree with you there GG!! Steamed veggies hold no appeal for me at all. For example, when I started roasting fresh asparagus in olive oil and various spices, it opened up a whole new world.
The three recipes you posted here look right up my alley. I think I may use Red Quinoa in place of the Couscous, since I have it on hand.

All are copied and pasted. Thanks! :yum:

I like oven roasted veggies. Picked up two huge bunches of asparagus this weekend at the local farmers market. Oven at 425*. Put the asparagus on a sheet pan, one layer deep. Drizzle with olive oil. Kosher salt and pepper as liberally as desired and put the whole shebang in the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese after it comes out of the oven. Delicious. Even better cut into thirds after cooking and then chilled. We ate both bunches yesterday within 8 hours.

I like oven roasted veggies. Picked up two huge bunches of asparagus this weekend at the local farmers market. Oven at 425*. Put the asparagus on a sheet pan, one layer deep. Drizzle with olive oil. Kosher salt and pepper as liberally as desired and put the whole shebang in the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese after it comes out of the oven. Delicious. Even better cut into thirds after cooking and then chilled. We ate both bunches yesterday within 8 hours.

Yup, this is without a doubt the best way with asparagus! Those cold leftovers are wonderful on top of a dinner green salad the next day if they don't all disappear before then.

I also did some pickled asparagus a while back.

I've had the whole new world opened, but sometimes I simply steam my veggies. I love the taste of steamed asparagus with nothing on it, not even a pinch of salt or melted butter. Green beans I need a little something, but not asparagus.

Back
Top Bottom