"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a slight trypophobia and I don't think that I could even stand to touch a morel mushroom!

Yes I'm weird

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have a slight trypophobia and I don't think that I could even stand to touch a morel mushroom!

Yes I'm weird

Now there's a word I've not heard of, BC. Had to look it up. Means fear of holes.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now there's a word I've not heard of, BC. Had to look it up. Means fear of holes.
I've always gotten the willies when seeing things with lots of holes like that, but didn't think much of it. My mom saw something on TV with that "look" and said "I can't stand to look at that, it gives me the creeps" So I looked it up, and low and behold, it's an actual thing!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Had no idea. Learn something new here every day!

I have no fear of morels. If you find some, please feel free to send them to me!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Well, we made it tonight, see pic in dinner thread of 4-30-15. Was it good? Yes. Was it worth it in terms of cost, time, etc? Probably not for us, maybe somebody up north where ingredients are more readily available. I wouldn't special order fiddleheads again to make it. While I will probably order ramps again and will definitely order morels again, think I'll skip the fiddleheads from now on. They are "fiddley" in more than 1 aspect. Cleaning is a chore.

I did take CWS's advice and went lighter on the ramps, only used 4. Could have probably used a few more as the taste was extremely delicate overall. I did lightly sauté the ramps in olive oil and S and P as I was afraid to put them on raw as we grilled pizza in the big green egg at a higher heat (consequently MUCH less time) then what the recipe calls for in the oven..
I think a light hand on ingredients one finds in the wild is the key. A not pesto-pesto of the fiddleheads or a pesto with the ramp greens would be delish.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
Senior Cook

That pizza looks amazing. I think ramps must be a regional (back East) thing. I've never seen them, darnit. And I doubt the "fiddleheads" I picked once were the right fern because they tasted like the way my mom's Jergen's hand lotion smelled. But I do have these, courtesy of a good neighbor. And three spears of asparagus in the garden, lol.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish I had a neighbor that generous! Morels are so pricey! I have been checking my morel patch daily...nothing, yet. And, I certainly won't be sharing them. Mine! All MINE!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, we made it tonight, see pic in dinner thread of 4-30-15. Was it good? Yes. Was it worth it in terms of cost, time, etc? Probably not for us, maybe somebody up north where ingredients are more readily available. I wouldn't special order fiddleheads again to make it. While I will probably order ramps again and will definitely order morels again, think I'll skip the fiddleheads from now on. They are "fiddley" in more than 1 aspect. Cleaning is a chore.

I did take CWS's advice and went lighter on the ramps, only used 4. Could have probably used a few more as the taste was extremely delicate overall. I did lightly sauté the ramps in olive oil and S and P as I was afraid to put them on raw as we grilled pizza in the big green egg at a higher heat (consequently MUCH less time) then what the recipe calls for in the oven. I also very lightly steamed the asparagus before cutting them in in half. We also used fresh moz, which I don't think was used in the recipe since it called for grating and it's almost impossible to grate fresh moz. I also boiled the fiddleheads for longer than 2 minutes since every site I found regarding prepping said to boil or steam for at least 6 minutes up to 10 to get rid of whatever toxin seems to cause people to get sick.
They are fiddly to clean. Ostrich ferns are the only ones that are considered edible. I hate cleaning them...the ones we pick have a lot of "paper" on them and although rubbing them with a clean dish towel works, they are still a lot of work to clean. We rinse ours 3 or 4 times and boil for 10 minutes, sauté them and eat them with butter and a bit of lemon juice. I would never order them and have them shipped...it is just that they are available that I eat them...
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I wish I had a neighbor that generous! Morels are so pricey! I have been checking my morel patch daily...nothing, yet. And, I certainly won't be sharing them. Mine! All MINE!
I don't have a morel patch, but that was exactly what I was thinking.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Well, thanks to Aunt Bea posting the link ....
Do you have link for ordering the mushrooms? Can you please post.

Tags
asparagus, pizza