"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
I have a slight trypophobia and I don't think that I could even stand to touch a morel mushroom!

Yes I'm weird
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have a slight trypophobia and I don't think that I could even stand to touch a morel mushroom!

Yes I'm weird

Now there's a word I've not heard of, BC. Had to look it up. Means fear of holes.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now there's a word I've not heard of, BC. Had to look it up. Means fear of holes.
I've always gotten the willies when seeing things with lots of holes like that, but didn't think much of it. My mom saw something on TV with that "look" and said "I can't stand to look at that, it gives me the creeps" So I looked it up, and low and behold, it's an actual thing!
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,137
Had no idea. Learn something new here every day!

I have no fear of morels. If you find some, please feel free to send them to me!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Well, we made it tonight, see pic in dinner thread of 4-30-15. Was it good? Yes. Was it worth it in terms of cost, time, etc? Probably not for us, maybe somebody up north where ingredients are more readily available. I wouldn't special order fiddleheads again to make it. While I will probably order ramps again and will definitely order morels again, think I'll skip the fiddleheads from now on. They are "fiddley" in more than 1 aspect. Cleaning is a chore.

I did take CWS's advice and went lighter on the ramps, only used 4. Could have probably used a few more as the taste was extremely delicate overall. I did lightly sauté the ramps in olive oil and S and P as I was afraid to put them on raw as we grilled pizza in the big green egg at a higher heat (consequently MUCH less time) then what the recipe calls for in the oven..
I think a light hand on ingredients one finds in the wild is the key. A not pesto-pesto of the fiddleheads or a pesto with the ramp greens would be delish.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Bookbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 210
That pizza looks amazing. I think ramps must be a regional (back East) thing. I've never seen them, darnit. And I doubt the "fiddleheads" I picked once were the right fern because they tasted like the way my mom's Jergen's hand lotion smelled. But I do have these, courtesy of a good neighbor. And three spears of asparagus in the garden, lol.

__________________
Bookbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
I wish I had a neighbor that generous! Morels are so pricey! I have been checking my morel patch daily...nothing, yet. And, I certainly won't be sharing them. Mine! All MINE!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Well, we made it tonight, see pic in dinner thread of 4-30-15. Was it good? Yes. Was it worth it in terms of cost, time, etc? Probably not for us, maybe somebody up north where ingredients are more readily available. I wouldn't special order fiddleheads again to make it. While I will probably order ramps again and will definitely order morels again, think I'll skip the fiddleheads from now on. They are "fiddley" in more than 1 aspect. Cleaning is a chore.

I did take CWS's advice and went lighter on the ramps, only used 4. Could have probably used a few more as the taste was extremely delicate overall. I did lightly sauté the ramps in olive oil and S and P as I was afraid to put them on raw as we grilled pizza in the big green egg at a higher heat (consequently MUCH less time) then what the recipe calls for in the oven. I also very lightly steamed the asparagus before cutting them in in half. We also used fresh moz, which I don't think was used in the recipe since it called for grating and it's almost impossible to grate fresh moz. I also boiled the fiddleheads for longer than 2 minutes since every site I found regarding prepping said to boil or steam for at least 6 minutes up to 10 to get rid of whatever toxin seems to cause people to get sick.
They are fiddly to clean. Ostrich ferns are the only ones that are considered edible. I hate cleaning them...the ones we pick have a lot of "paper" on them and although rubbing them with a clean dish towel works, they are still a lot of work to clean. We rinse ours 3 or 4 times and boil for 10 minutes, sauté them and eat them with butter and a bit of lemon juice. I would never order them and have them shipped...it is just that they are available that I eat them...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I wish I had a neighbor that generous! Morels are so pricey! I have been checking my morel patch daily...nothing, yet. And, I certainly won't be sharing them. Mine! All MINE!
I don't have a morel patch, but that was exactly what I was thinking.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Well, thanks to Aunt Bea posting the link ....
Do you have link for ordering the mushrooms? Can you please post.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asparagus, pizza

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.