"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-29-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Hardly anyone eats Choko any more, more's the pity! Americans might know it as Chayote. It's a fairly bland vegetable, not unlike a patty-pan squash in flavour and texture, but it's far more versatile when used as a substitute for other things, like apples, or pears! It goes wonderfully well in pickles, too. I like it boiled, then served with lashings of butter, and a sprinkle of pepper, but it's nice with a white sauce, too.

Parsnips are definitely under-rated, too. I love them baked, but they can also be used in sweet dishes.

Arrowroot. Not many people have tried this one, but it's not unlike potato, except that it takes on the flavour of anything it's cooked with. A good padder-outer, but nice baked like a potato.

Squash. NOT pumpkin, but pattypan squash, marrows, spaghetti squash etc. These days you only see the pattypans, but there are much larger varieties. In my long-past childhood, we often had these stuffed and baked.

Hardly ever mentioned in cooking forums are the Chinese veges - bok choy, pak choy, tatsoi, choy sum, Chinese broccoli, kangkong and many more. Here in Australia they are widely popular and readily available, and I grow some of them for use in stews, stirfries, or raw in salads etc.

Beetroot - doesn't anybody else use them as a baked vege, or just boiled as an ordinary vege? Or does everybody have to have them pickled? They are SO nice when served with a white sauce.

Pumpkin is one vegetable that ought to be banned from the planet. Turnip is another.

daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:32 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
OJHHHHH i love beet root roasted and I live golden beets

I also Like collard greens and turnip tops!

Im tired of seeing Zuchinni

Behind Every Good Woman... Is herself
Chef_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Daisy...ban pumpkin??? I had the most wonderful pumpkin soup tonight, with a little curry added with the onion, finished with coconut milk and sprinkled with coriander. I adore baked spiced pumpkin with a roast of beef, and muffins made from the leftovers next day. Roast pumpkin provides the sweetness ( along with kumara) in my roasted vegetable and blue cheese tarts. Plus one of my pooches goes crazy for it!! lolol

How many of you use Jerusalem Artichokes these days? And what is Swede called in other countries...that round yellowish/purple root vege. Lovely mashed with heaps of pepper and butter.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
another one on the beet (beetroot) wagon.

i love them just boiled and peeled and sliced, or grated with fresh horseradish.

they are great for kids because the juice is practically like ink, and can color everything from mashed potatoes to pasta to hard boiled eggs, to your lips and tongue, shirt, and the dining room walls and carpet...
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #15
Head Chef
Rutabaga, diced and boiled and then smothered in butter.
Spinich, steamed and smothered in butter
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
Executive Chef
I,m a fan of the root veggies, roasted, mashed, hashed, gratined etc. THings like parsnips surround a roast, pich up the juices, add sweetness, mellow out...so good! and the dark leafy greens...chard, collards, turnip greens...outrageously wonderful, braised, sauteeded, used in soups, etc! yum
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #17
Master Chef
Kohlrabi & Kale.

Unless I grow it myself, the only market that seems to carry Kohlrabi around here is "Whole Foods" - & the closest ones in either direction are a good hour+ away. I like this vegetable both raw sliced as a dipper, cubed & cooked in a cream or cheese sauce, curry, or soup, or cooked & mashed with a little butter.

And Kale - well, talk about "good & good for you"!! I use it in soups, mixed cooked greens, pasta dishes, etc. If grown myself, the very young baby leaves are also great in salads. Here in Virginia I'm always surprised to see folks bagging up greens mixtures of collards, turnip greens, & mustard greens, but leaving poor old Kale alone. I guess it's not really considered a "southern" green since it really likes the cold weather.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:19 AM   #18
Executive Chef
In the winter, the Scottish diet used to rely heavily on root vegetables, as they were the only ones to survive our cold, wet winters. Brussel sprouts, cabbages were also OK... Every Scottish housewife uses leeks, onions, carrots swede turnip (close to rutabaga), parsnips.

Scotch Broth
Lentil Soup
Stews and casseroles
Neeps n tatties

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13

I had never even heard of this wonderful vegetable until I came to Italy, and it was like a revelation when Cristiano made me a Risotto al radicchio for the first time. Now I mastered the art of this risotto recipe myself, but I found so many delicious uses for them... most recently we even made a jam with it, it is wonderful paired with some piquant cheeses!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #20
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by cliveb
Mooli radish.
Snap peas or mangetouts.
Great list! I had to look up "Salsify" -- does the root really taste like an oyster when cooked??!
"Mooli radish" is known as daikon around here - I like to marinate daikon and carrots sticks in rice vinegar, sugar, pinch of salt.

I don't think anyone has mentioned broccoli rabe - a.k.a. rape. I think it's better than spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, kale... and I like all of those.
snow peas

SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote